FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2014 1:08 PM  #1

Length of alternator spacer??

Have a 68 with a small block. Want to install the alternator, but have a cut to fit spacer for the bolt. Can anybody advise what the correct length is to cut the spacer to?

Thanks.

5/19/2014 6:23 PM  #2

Re: Length of alternator spacer??

I'm no expert but I know that several lengths were used (or was that fan spacers - I forget).

Anyway, you want a spacer that will align the alternator pulley with the other pulleys and keep the alternator pulley "square" to the belt.  I found the length by putting the upper bolt in through the alternator and into the block without a spacer.  Then I attached the alternator to the lower pivot mount.  String the belt over the alternator and other pulleys, then cinch the nut down on the alternator adjuster so that the belt is sort of snug (you don't want it too snug because it will make the next steps much harder).  

Either use your eye looking down the belt or put a straight-edge across the alternator pulley and move the top of the alternator bit by bit until it's in the same plane as the other pulleys, then measure the distance between the block and the alternator body to get the correct length.  I remember using a piece of black pipe as the initial spacer just to make sure my measurement was good before cutting the "real" spacer to the final length.  I can't see any reason why you could not just cut a short length of black pipe and use that with a bunch of washers to find out the dimension as well.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/19/2014 6:26 PM  #3

Steve I always used a string to align pulleys. String should touch fron and back edge of first pulley to front and back edge of second pulley when aligned. You can use a smaller spacer and washers until things align then measure and cut to total length.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/19/2014 6:28 PM  #4

As John said I guess we typing the same time.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.