FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2014 5:54 AM  #1

no vacuum

65 coupe 1985 302. my car has been running rich so i decided to check over something carp tuning and timing. when i setup the engine 5 years ago i connected my vacuum gauge to the vacuum port on the bottom front of my new holley 600 cfm carb.after tuning my vacuum was a steady 18. yesterday i hooked up my vacuum gauge and had no vacuum at all. i could not find any leak or hear any so iam stumped the car is running good but i have a real rich exhuast smell in and around the car so iam asuming this is my problem. any ideas
also if i hookup my gauge to the line that goes to the dizzy and rev the engine i do get vacuum there.

thank

Last edited by mark1965 (5/21/2014 7:15 AM)

5/21/2014 6:20 AM  #2

Re: no vacuum

Simple things first, is the gauge working. Put your hand over the hole are you feeling vacuum?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/21/2014 7:13 AM  #3

no i can't feel any vacuum with my finger. i hooked up my vacuum pump to the gauge to check it and yes it does work

5/21/2014 7:46 AM  #4

wrong port?  Wide open pcv valve?  Failed booster?  Are you on the timed port on the carb instead of manifold vacuum?

5/21/2014 7:47 AM  #5

There are two different kinds of vacuum ports on the carb.  One only has vacuum as the engine is increasing in RPM.  That is timed vacuum, and is where Fords connect the distributor. It will have no vacuum signal at idle.
The other port is manifiold vacuum.  It has a vacuum signal any time the engine is running, most at idle and least as the carb butterflies are opened, like during acceleration.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/21/2014 10:07 AM  #6

Mark, if there is NO vacuum, the engine will not run!  Probably something has got the port clogged.  DO NOT try blowing through it to remove the clog - that will put the clog into your engine intake.  Bad for Mr. Engine.
Take the carb off and see what's going on.  Clean the clog out, and then re-install the carb.
Good Luck

5/21/2014 11:57 AM  #7

thanks guys i will try this tonite and let you know what happens. just to clarify i have no vacuum from the vac port on the front bottom of the carb.

5/21/2014 12:33 PM  #8

If you have a vacuum pump, attach it to that port and you should not pull any vacuum - it should be wide open.  If there is a clog you may be able to draw it out.  Otherwise, Pablo is spot on.

5/21/2014 5:37 PM  #9

thanks guys. the bottom vac port on the carb was full of a clear sticky slime. i  have no idea what it was. cleaned it out and vacuum is back did all the adjustment and all seams good. thanks again

5/21/2014 9:33 PM  #10

Mark, glad to hear it was something so simple.
Thanks for posting the follow up, it helps us all to learn.
Enjoy

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.