FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2014 5:45 AM  #1

66 coupe

I have a question regarding a upgrade to my 66 coupe that had a inline 6. I am going to put a 302 in it and I've upgraded the suspension but not sure if i can or should use the stock steering? If i upgrade to power steering do i still use the same tie rod ends and such?

5/22/2014 6:13 AM  #2

Re: 66 coupe

Your six cylinder steering system needs to be replaced with a V8 system from a 1965-66 Mustang.  That included idler arm, center link, pitman arm, outer tie rods and inner tie rods  If you are going to go from standard steering on the six cylinder to power steering, you will also have to replace the steering gear box (5 turn) to a power steering box (4 turn).  You didn't mention what all you have changed over, but you will also need V8 coil springs.  Turn stops on the spindles will also need changing. 
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

5/22/2014 6:15 AM  #3

A relatively easy power steering upgrade is a Borgeson kit.  It utilizes the stock components from manual steering.  It does require modification to the steering shaft including a MS steering shaft bearing kit.  I never priced out a stock system but I think the Borg box is a cleaner install - no rams, etc.

Another interesting option is the electric power steering recently discussed on this site.  No pump or hoses and the cost is in the same ballpark as the Borgeson.  Unless you are a stickler for originality (I guess if you were, you'd still be running a 6 cylinder), I would go with either of these systems over original.

Al has a good point.  From your post I assumed that since you said you had upgraded your suspension you had already done the V8 swap.  If you have not swapped out everything including spindles and other items that Al mentioned, you need to start there.  There is no good way to stick with the 6 cylinder compoents with a V8.

Last edited by GPatrick (5/22/2014 6:18 AM)

5/22/2014 11:07 AM  #4

BGrendell - I changed my 65 to an R&C Mustang II front end and have the original OEM V8 manual steering setup, minus the spindles.  Let me know if you're interested, I'm sure we can work something out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.