FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2014 8:05 AM  #1

347.... Should I? Seems too easy, what am I missing?

I saw the topic a couple posts down about 347 stroker and it mentioned it has been a lot of extra work, so that adds to my suspicion that I am underestimating what is involved in this task.

Here's the quick rundown - I found a 302 roller block that has already been relieved for a stoker kit and bored 0.030" (see my earlier posts about trying to find a 302 block if you want more background but it's not necissary here).  Comes with pistons, rods, and crank for a 302 (I will be getting new pistons anyways no mater what - they don't fit my application).  

So I was fiully intending to just build a 302.  But the block being prepped for a 347 got my head going....  So question is - should I?  I like the idea of the extra low-end power and torque, but do not like the idea of the extra gas bill (it's a daily driver for the salt-free months).  Who has done this and was it worth it?  Was gas consumption ~13% higher as you might estimate by the increase in CID (all else equal, which it never really is)? 

One big part of the "should I?" question is what am I missing on this?  It seems too easy.  The block is already relieved, so it looks like all I need to do is get a 347 crank, rods, and pistons.  Using my 28oz. flywheel, get that assembly balanced, then drop that in with my 302 pan, oil pump, all other parts from the previous 302 motor.  And that's it.  Seems too easy since I essentially need to do all of that anyways to build the 302 - I just need to order different pistons, rods, and crank.  What am I missing here?  I read the car craft magazine article on it, but it seems they skip over a lot of steps.  

5/22/2014 8:22 AM  #2

Re: 347.... Should I? Seems too easy, what am I missing?

BT,  I would wonder why someone prepped the block for 347 stroker, then built a 302.  If you go to the 347 stroker kit, a bit of advice.  First, do not throw out the old rod and main bearings - use the mains to install the stroker crank on.  Rotate through a few rotations, if it will go all the way around - be careful, it may bump somewhere, like the oil pump mounting boss.  If it bumps, grind away the offending part of the block.  You are looking for 0.050 to 0.060 of inch clearance everywhere.  Now, install the new pistons and rods - using those old rod bearings - no rings on the pistons.  Rotate and check the relieved places in the cylinder bottoms.  Look closely at the clearance of the rod bolts to cylinder bottoms. Same clearence dimensions needed.  Now, install the camshaft you intend to run, and cam drive chain.  Rotate very carefully to check for clearance between the rotating assembly and cam.  Proceed very carefully so as not to damage the cam.  This proceedure takes a lot of time and patience.  If you do not have the time, skill nor patience, either get someone else to do it, or go back with a 302 build.
Do all this before balancing.
Enjoy

5/22/2014 3:27 PM  #3

In the early 2000s, I was reading/researching 347 strokers because I was giving some thought about building one some day. Shortly thereafter, I also read/researched about the 331 and compared the pros/cons of both strokers. The pros of the 331 seemed to suggest (to me) that the 331 would be a better choice of the two for overall performance and longevity of engine life.

The following except is quoted from a guy who built a 347 for his 5.0L Mustang. In retrospect, he wishes he had built a 331 instead.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/210535-331-stroker-vs-347-a-2.html#post1850908

347 is about as far as you can punch out/stroke a 302/5.0L block. I suspect this is generally the primary (and maybe the only) consideration given in choice of stroker because of the bigger cubic inch number. 347 sounds more impressive than 331 but bigger doesn't always equal better.

My suggestion would be to thoroughly do your research of both and make a decision on what seems to give you the most for your money and which would give you the longest return on your investment, since neither stroker is especially cheap to build if you're using quality parts.

5/22/2014 4:09 PM  #4

One of the cons of a 347 is that in some kits the oil control ring borders directly on top or through the wrist pit area of the piston. Increasing the chance for oil consumption. Manufacturers did this to keep the rod to stroke ratio as close to nominal as possible, otherwise they would have to shorten the rod lenght up some and make it up in piston compression height. Doing this lessens the rod/stroke ratio and adds weight to pistons. I'm pretty sure there are some kits that put the oil control rings higher in the piston. All this is something to look for/ consider. Reason why the 331 gained some popularity is that it didn't have these cons of the 347, giving street guys some piece of mind, and giving racers more flexibility with rod/piston combinations.

5/22/2014 4:35 PM  #5

I would do it! (of course,I would!) Like already been suggested....check real close on clearances. You woul do all that any way. Check and double-check eveerything.
You only gonna use it in nice weather so its NOT an absolute daily driver. Sounds like all/most of the grinding work has already been done....you're gonna buy pistons anyway. 347 kits are cheap because so many guyz have built them.
If you use stock-ish heads you will choke down on the gas guzzleing anyway.
Being a nice-weather-car....I would cam"the crap" out of it to get that hot rod sound along with the tire burning torque from the extra cubes. You biggest worry will be what to do when you break the tires loose in THIRD gear too!!  YEE-HAWW!!  Go for it.....and give me a ride at the MSBB?? get together!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/22/2014 5:52 PM  #6

Almost a "no-brainer".  If you are basically starting from scratch, a stroker kit won't cost much if any more than a stock setup.  There are several companys that offer very reasonable "matched"& complete kits at very reasonable cost.  I'd build a 331 if I were building a stock block 8.2 deck engine, they seem a little more RPM friendly.

5/22/2014 6:29 PM  #7

Piston oil control ring problems was the biggest issue with the 347, 10 or more years ago, because it intersected the wrist pin area of the piston. That problem has pretty much been resolved in subsequent years through different piston designs.

There's much opinions on strokers and 331s vs. 347s ....which is better and so forth. "Better" is a relative term that can only mean what it means to any given individual, at a particular time, and what their ultimate outcome or experience is with whatever the subject matter or particular situation may be.

As has already been talked about, oil consumption used to be a primary con of the 347 but, as stated, it's not so much a problem for the 347 any more. I'm not against 347s (since at one time I entertained the idea of building one). If you have one or are dead-set to build one, I say do what you feel best fits your needs and pocketbook.

Opinions are something that's variable from one person to another but, mathematics and geometry are subjects based on facts of absolutes. I look at it from the mathematical and physical (geometrical) aspect of these two strokers and see the undisputed (mathematical/geometrical) fact that the greater stroke of the 347 (3.4" for the 347 vs. 3.250" for the 331) has a much greater rod angle between the crank throw to the pistons wrist pin, --as compared to that of the 331.

This measurable difference places far more side loading forces on the pistons and those side loading forces are then transferred into the cylinder walls of the engine block of the 347, compared to what the 331 would experience.

There would be no way to change the physics of what is going to happen inside a 347 to get around this  ... other than to change the geometrical angle of the connecting rods to lessen the severity of that angle. The only way that can be accomplished would to build a stroker with a rod angle that's not as severe and would result in an engine with a longer expected service life.

....since the subject is strokers.... If a person is entertaining the idea of building a stroker but wants to keep it in the Ford small-block family, it would seem a more reasonable gain would be garnered from choosing a better basis to build upon. The better choice to stroking a 302/5.0L engine would be to stroke a 351W. The 351W is slightly taller than the 302/5.0L but is beefier in all critical areas and is already bigger, cubic inch-wise, to begin with before stroking it to a larger displacement.

Even with the added deck height of the 351W, it will still fit in the tighter confines of a '65/'66 Mustang (as compared to the larger engine bays of the '67-'70 Mustangs). Since the 351W will fit the earliest of Mustang models, the most bang for the buck would be had with a stroker based on it instead of a 302/5.0L based stroker.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=104/category_id=13/home_id=3/mode=prod/prd104.htm

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1204_the_363_the_hottest_ford_stroker/

Last edited by ultrastang (5/22/2014 7:53 PM)

5/22/2014 7:44 PM  #8

As the old saying goes- There is no replacement for displacement. Sometimes it just depends on how you get there.

5/22/2014 7:45 PM  #9

For all the reasons indicated in the previous posts, I suggest that you compare the pros and cons of going with a 351W ... for me, this was an easy decision.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/22/2014 9:52 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

For all the reasons indicated in the previous posts, I suggest that you compare the pros and cons of going with a 351W ... for me, this was an easy decision.

And THEN stroke IT to 427, Now that is a whole lotta fun!!

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

5/23/2014 9:13 AM  #11

Well, I had my mind set I was just going to keep it a 302 and get this baby back on the road, especially since the pistons that I got with the deal were different than Iexpected and they work for my application on the high side of just right (resultant 11.6:1 static compression).  

But then I read the comments, which while a mixed bag generally are making me think 347...(or 331).  All comres down to how much time it will take me to get this thing on the road again.  Well, I have a long weekend to mull it over.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.