FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2013 1:28 PM  #1

Which Speedo Gear?

I replaced my Ford Toploader with a T5 world-class. Do I need change out my speedo gear?
thanks

4/26/2013 2:45 PM  #2

Re: Which Speedo Gear?

If the speedo was accurate with the top loader and the  drive gear on the T5 output shaft is the same as the top loader (seven teeth, I believe) then you just need to transfer the driven gear (end of the speedo cable) from the top loader to the T5....I think.

Glen at Rose Hill Performance, 281-516-7975, is the resident guru.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/26/2013 2:47 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/26/2013 3:28 PM  #3

Thanks BB!
Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure...

4/26/2013 3:44 PM  #4

I can't remember for sure but you may want to check to see if you need a righty or lefty.  I thought that the T-5 used the same gear as the auto trans cars and they were the opposite of the toploader.  I think a way to verify this is to check which side of the transmission the speedo cable is mounted to.  If the toploader and the T-5 are on the same side you are in luck.  If on opposite sides, you may need the gear for the auto trans.  Do you googling on the subject to double-check.

4/26/2013 3:51 PM  #5

OK, so I googled it.  On anther site this guy named Steve posted the following!

NO, the 4 speed gear has reverse helix from the 3-speed and the C-4 gear. Four speed gear will not work and sticking it in there has a possibility of screwing up the drive gear in the tranny.

You need a gear from a 3-speed manual, a C-4 auto , or a C-6 auto, or a T5.

4/26/2013 3:59 PM  #6

GPatrick wrote:

NO, the 4 speed gear has reverse helix from the 3-speed and the C-4 gear. Four speed gear will not work and sticking it in there has a possibility of screwing up the drive gear in the tranny.

You need a gear from a 3-speed manual, a C-4 auto , or a C-6 auto, or a T5.

That is true... The 4-speed toploader speedomer gear is cut backwards from the gear for a C4, T5, 3-speed.  This is because it goes in on the opposite side of the tailshaft from all the others.

Get a gear for a C4 with the same tooth count as the one from your 4 speed.
That is what I did when I changed from a 4-speed toploader to a T5.

Last edited by Michael H. (4/26/2013 4:00 PM)

4/26/2013 4:06 PM  #7

Thanks guys...I hope I didn't lead anyone down the garden path.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/27/2013 4:50 AM  #8

Good morning everyone!
I checked my speedo gear again. If the long centrr pin is at the bottom then the threads run from lower southeast corner upper northwest corner and I have a total of 16 teeth with 3.0 in the rear. The speedo itself is white amd the transmission is from a '93 Ford Mustang Cobra. I would like to replace the speedo as a few teeth are worn. Does the above describe the T5 gear correctly?
thank you

4/27/2013 7:29 AM  #9

The link to CJ Pony Parts below shows a variety of driven gears.  If I read your post correctly, you are describing a toploader gear that as stated in posts above will not work in a T-5.  The T-5 uses the automatic transmission type.  The toploader is a type "3A" and the automatics/T-5's are a type "3".  A type 3A will not work in a T-5 and could even damage the gear on the tail shaft.  Contact Glen as suggested above or a catalog site that deals with Mustangs like CJ Pony and order the correct gear that matches your transmission and cable.  Here is the link with pictures....  http://www.cjponyparts.com/1964-1973-mustang-speedometer-gears/c/10190200/

4/27/2013 11:28 AM  #10

Thanks everyone! Won't be the first time I found something wrong on this car.  I'm just glad I ordered the correct parts before putting back together!

4/29/2013 1:47 PM  #11

It's not really that anything was wrong.  The 4-speed gear was the correct part when the 4-speed was in the car, but now that you're changing it to a T-5 you need to change it to the correct gear to match the T-5.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.