FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2014 11:50 AM  #1

Brake booster questions

I had a few questions on the difference between using a 2.3L Fox booster over the 5.0L fox booster in my 65 mustang.  Is the vacuum different? Or is the size different between them since your more limited on what master cylinder you use? (Lenght 7 1/2 vs 8 1/2"s on the master cylinder) Also I have a hydraulic clucth conversion on the car, would I need to go back to the factory? There doesn't seem to be room for both or do I need to convert it to a cable style to  fit the booster? I already have a '67 master  cylinder in the car now with manual 4 wheel disc brakes ( I already have an adjustable proportioning valve installed also)  The car has factory front disc brakes and a Lincoln Versailles 9" (big bearing 31 spline) with disc brakes.  Any answers would be helpful and appreciated.

5/23/2014 2:55 PM  #2

Re: Brake booster questions

You can use a Fox booster but not with any clutch linkage that sticks through the original hole in the firewall.  One of the booster studs will be residing in that hole.

The 5.0 booster is dual diaphragm and alot thicker, but smaller diameter.  You CAN fit a tandem master cylinder on it, but if it has a plastic tank, you have to modify the back of the tank (heat and reform using a light bulb for heat) to clear the vacuum fitting on the booster.  You also have to be using a Shelby or other aftermarket export brace, and must remove the stub bracket on the shock tower where the original brace bolted up.  That will give plenty of clearance to get to the master cylinder.

A better solution is the slightly larger diameter 2.3L booster which is single diaphragm and a few inches thinner.  It fits fine and works great.  You must use the MustangSteve PB-2 kit components and modify the pedal and pedal support for it all to work.  My cable clutch kit is guaranteed to fit with the booster, all designed so everything fits together and works right.  If you get one kit from me or someone else, and then a clutch kit from another vendor, it is unlikely they will work properly together.  Due to space limitations, it is a real balancing act getting all that stuff fitted in there, and there is really not any room for deviation from the setup as designed for the retrofit.
Your 67 MC will work with the Fox boosters.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2014 3:43 PM  #3

Thank you for the reply.   I was checking out your kit CK165-M. Unfortunately I already have the ron Morris hydraulic clucth set up installed (can be removed easily, it's a bolt in kit) . Looking  at the picutre the cable come through at the top of thr booster, does it go all the way to the oil filter then down and back? Also does it hang loose or does it come with some support brackets?  Can I order a shorter cable so it goes just pass the master cylinder?  I do have the tri y headers also(read the note dang it LOL)  is there a bigger picture of the motor compartment to show what it looks like ran by the oil filter? Also it said master was  optional ..would a 95-2001 Ford Explorer with the 1-1/16 bore work with your set up? Also is your booster smaller like the 2.3L or like dual diaphragm?

5/23/2014 10:08 PM  #4

1-1/16" bore is too big and you will not generate enough line pressure.

Cable goes around oil filter than along pan rail to bellhousing.  Used to use a shorter cable and the longer one is much better fit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.