FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2013 7:05 PM  #1

What brakes might these be?

I have a 64.5 Mustang Coupe V8, full manual drum. I'm weighing disk brake conversions and was given a spindle, single piston caliper, rotor combo. I was told its a bolt in swap, but have no idea nor have I tried seeing if they fit. It obviously needs to be cleaned and calipers rebuilt but any ideas what it might be from before I put some labor in to something that might be worthless to me? 

4/29/2013 4:37 PM  #2

Re: What brakes might these be?

The calipers are from a 68-73 Mustang or Cougar (or similar Ford)  The booster is a Bendix, which came out in mid 69.  I cannot tell from the picture whether the end of the booster input shaft is curved or straight.  If it is curved, I would narrow the booster down to a 1969 model.  If that is the case and no one has been switching parts around, the brakes are probably 69 as well.  68-69 spindles use the same size tie rod as each other, but larger than a 65-66.  If they are 70-73 brakes, they have an even larger tie rod hole and a larger diameter spindle axle, requiring A12 and A13 bearings instead of the A2 and A6 like the 65-69 uses.

Be advised that using those spindles makes the front end steer different than stock because the radius arms point more to the center of the car than the 65/66 does.  Read my GRANADA installation page for more info. You will have to trim tie rods and adjusting sleeves just same as if you were installing a Granada spindle.  Spindles are nearly identical.

Depending on what year they are, and if your car has manual or power steering and is V8 or L6, you may or may not be able to use the tie rods that are same year as the spindles.  I do have adapters for that purpose.  They will allow fitment of your tie rods into those spindles but will NOT correct the bumpsteer issues.

If you can get the part number that is cast onto the vertical part of the spindle, we can put the mystery to bed.

That booster will not fit your car, so use it as a core.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/29/2013 6:27 PM  #3

Thanks Steve, MC rod is curved.(so its '69) I'll have my dad look at the casting marks on the spindles. My car was a V8 dcode with power steering. I'm going to use the adapter sleeve to make it manual steering(for now) until I come up with something different. 

4/29/2013 9:39 PM  #4

I can't read all of the number but Ford Logo something USA C80A or)G80A  then 9107C  56 

5/08/2013 11:25 PM  #5

Did the numbers above add anything to the mystery?

5/09/2013 6:25 AM  #6

C8 casting tells me the spindles are 68-69, used on both years.  Booster, if from same car, tells me it is all 69 since it has the curved rod.  That is only year that booster would have been on a Mustang or Cougar.  On a 64-1/2 Mustang V8 with power steering, you cannot just remove the power steering valve from the center link like you can on a 67 or later.  You can use the power steering setup as it is, use a 68-69 tie rod on the passenger side and one of my TRB-6567 adapters on the driver side (or use adapter on both side with the 64-1/2 tie rods.   OR if you want manual steering, replace the center link, idler arm, driver side inner and outer tie rods and driver side adjusting sleeve with manual steering linkage.  Or just buy a rack&pinion setup.

When you put new pads on the brakes, be sure to replace the rubber sleeves that fit around the mounting bolts.

Ackerman angle on those spindles is different than your car, so expect some additional bumpsteer and adverse steering and alignment issues.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.