FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2014 9:36 PM  #1

That's what I get for wanting to paint my accessory pulleys

I painted my engine compartment and I thought man I need to paint my pulleys and ps pump etc. well I made a mistake. I was loosening my alternator brackets and snap a bolt that goes threw that bracket goes threw the water pump snapped. Just my luck I hate pulling off the pump in that car it's not hard just time consuming cause of the long bolts. Oh well now I'll
Have to see if I can get an easy out to remove the broken bolt...

6/06/2014 5:43 AM  #2

Re: That's what I get for wanting to paint my accessory pulleys

True74yamaha wrote:

I painted my engine compartment and I thought man I need to paint my pulleys and ps pump etc. well I made a mistake. I was loosening my alternator brackets and snap a bolt that goes threw that bracket goes threw the water pump snapped. Just my luck I hate pulling off the pump in that car it's not hard just time consuming cause of the long bolts. Oh well now I'll
Have to see if I can get an easy out to remove the broken bolt...

If there is some of the broken bolt exposed after removing the water pump you would best be served welding a nut to it rather than the possibility of breaking off an easyout in there..
 Usually those water pump bolts rust off away from the block so the welded nut method gets some heat into the bolt making extraction much easier.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/06/2014 6:23 AM  #3

Not to rain on your parade, but you may need to pull the timing chain cover also as the long bolt goes into the engine block.
Good luck.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/06/2014 9:01 AM  #4

I'm in the middle of the same problem. I twisted off the same bolt due to the tight fit of the bolt thru the water pump. I tapped on all of the bolts and used an impact at a very slow rate so that I wouldn't twist more off. Once I got all of the bolts out, I then took wedges and got the pump to comm off. Once the pump was off the bolt came out easly. I'd post pictures off of my phone but dont know how. 1977 F100 S/B-351W-T/L 4sp- 9" 31SPL 3.50 T/L

6/06/2014 10:14 AM  #5

Copied from the rides section
You need a photobucket account or something similar to host your pictures. I have a Photobucket app on my I phone. Phone pics uploaded to Photobucket. "Share" the pic from photobucket app, then "copy" for I phone 5, brings up copy links, choose the "IMG" link. Paste this in your post on the Awesome MustangSteve Forum. I did a test pic in the tech section to verify.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/06/2014 10:33 AM  #6

this post reminded me why i stayed away form cars for a few years.
best mechanic i even knew's trick for stuck bolts, heat it with a torch and apply candle wax. it seeps into the threads and lets you get it out. obviously last resort. do not break the bolt off flush with the block beforehand!

6/06/2014 11:25 AM  #7

T74, in the machine shop we removed many broken bolts using a left handed drill bit.  No joke, they really make them!  Find out what the "tap drill size" for the broken bolt is, and use a left handed drill bit that size.  You must center punch the broken bolt accurately, and drill (ofcourse going backwards).  The heat and the action of the bit digging into the broken bolt will usually get the broken bolt out - it will just unscrew with the bit stuck to it.  In your case, if the bolt is say a half inch out of the threads in the block, the heat may not transfer effectively enough to the stuck threads.
Here's a link to a set of left handed bits:  [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA058000CT34&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Drill+Bits++++Sets-_-Eazypower+Corp-_-9SIA058000CT34&scpid=22&scid=scsho126507     However, you can buy them one at a time at Fastenal, or similar stores.Good Luck,Pablo]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA058000CT34&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Drill+Bits++++Sets-_-Eazypower+Corp-_-9SIA058000CT34&scpid=22&scid=scsho126507    
However, you can buy them one at a time at Fastenal, or similar stores.
Good Luck,
Pablo
[/url]

Last edited by Pablo (6/06/2014 11:28 AM)

6/06/2014 11:29 AM  #8

Sorry about the repeat, I did not put it there, and could not edit it out.  Oh well!

6/06/2014 12:36 PM  #9

Awesome thanks for the ideas guys.. Sadly I don't have a welder maybe I can barrow a friends or go to work and rent it. I have enough to thread on a nut and weld it. I'm sure that will work I have about 1/2" of visible threds to grad a hold of.

6/06/2014 2:34 PM  #10

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Copied from the rides section
You need a photobucket account or something similar to host your pictures. I have a Photobucket app on my I phone. Phone pics uploaded to Photobucket. "Share" the pic from photobucket app, then "copy" for I phone 5, brings up copy links, choose the "IMG" link. Paste this in your post on the Awesome MustangSteve Forum. I did a test pic in the tech section to verify.

You DO NOT have to host your pix anymore!  If you can get them on your computer you can use the upload image button to upload them off you computer.  OR if you have internet access on your phone you could prolly do it that way.  I usually bluetooth my pix from my phne to my laptop

6/06/2014 10:27 PM  #11

I reccommend using stainless bolts on those long ones through the WP. No rust welding later in life.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/06/2014 11:13 PM  #12

Agreed.. The one I have to remove is the one I didn't have one to replace it in stainless due to hardware store being out of stock, I should've waited

6/07/2014 11:39 AM  #13

Welding was a great idea it semi worked.. Reason I say that I welded a nut on let it cool pb blasted the heated a little and snap... I'm in the same senerio only now it's semi counter sunk. I've Hurd of using a smaller washer weld that on then a nut on top then try again. My dad didn't like that cause of what just happened. He ended up drilling it out trying to use a easy out. No bueno it didn't do crud. So I'm thinking buy a dremel attachment if I can find my dads dremel and then dremel out the bolt. Then tap it back out again.. Any in put other suggestions?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.