FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2014 11:26 AM  #1

Ok guys. Figure this one out. (spot welding)

My birthday was last Friday.   My wife bought me a cheap 110 spot welder I had put on watch on ebay.  I had no plans to actually buy it myself, I was just watching it because the same seller puts things up I am interested it.  (I use the watch list as a seller mark)  

Anyways, since I was suprised with it Friday, I decided to play around with it Sunday while there wernt any contractors here.   It would blow holes in everything!  I tried making the tips larger, tried rounding them off, no matter what same result.

Then I tried putting a piece of aluminum on the bottom.  So it was weld coupon, weld coupon, 1/8 aluminum.  and Voila!!!  perfect spot welds!    So what is the aluminum doing?  Is it creating more resistance?    There are no setting on this welder.  Just a button to press.  

Here is the "cheap-azz" welder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-SPOT-WELDER-WELDING-TOOL-KIT-1-8-CAPACITY/270675536704?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23823%26meid%3D7849355020862288408%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10177%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121367759444&rt=nc

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/24/2014 12:04 PM  #2

Re: Ok guys. Figure this one out. (spot welding)

You've got the heat turned too far up. The aluminum is acting as a heat sink. It disipates heat faster then the steel can. You need to turn the heat down and the wire speed up just slightly more then your heat.

Last edited by Derek (6/24/2014 12:05 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

6/24/2014 4:54 PM  #3

Well, since Greg said there are no settings on this welder, and it just plugs into the wall, I'd say having the heat turned too high and wire speed wrong isn't really possible here.
I agree the aluminum is pulling heat out of the weld.
Having never used one myself, I'd ask if its possible to "unclamp" the two electrodes sooner in the weld process....
Or just get used to using an aluminum backer...

Last edited by darren (6/24/2014 4:55 PM)

6/24/2014 7:36 PM  #4

Ahh yes now I see .I didn't see the link sorry. Agree with Darren if you had control of when you could release it that would be perfect. In addition to the aluminum I'd try ah peice of copper (mite last longer then the aluminum) and still have the same effect. Here's one I use ...http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-spoon-66785.html

6/24/2014 8:10 PM  #5

I actually have one of those welding spoons!  havent tried that.

This welder has a toggle switch that lets you control the amount of time the current flows.  What this thing would do is when you start to weld it would immediately start to burn into the metal and throw sparks.   No matter how thick or thin the metal.  It basically just wouldnt weld anything together.   When I put the aluminum on the top side, it wouldnt weld at all, just heat up the aluminum.   When I put it on the bottom,  thats when it made all the difference.   It started behaving like I believe it should.  place the part between the tongs,  press,  hit the switch, it would start to heat up and make a nice round cherry.  Behaving the way it should.    Doing it like that it made some nice strong spot welds.    

I was about ready to give up on it until I decided to try that.    The aluminum disapating the heat sounds like a good enough answer for me.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/24/2014 8:13 PM  #6

Spot welding is and interesting thing, you need good contact between each electrode and between the two pieces you are welding. If you have any gaps when the current is applied, you get holes. The copper electrodes make good electrical contact on clean sheet metal. The two pieces of sheet metal can make good electrical contact if they are together. The magic is that the copper on the steel is a better current path than the steel on steel, so the heat is made at the higher resistance joint which is where we want it. If the gap is too much at the weld joint, arching will occur and holes follow shortly! I almost forgot to say that the aluminum is a current reducer of sorts since you have added 2 or 4 more joints in the system depending of if you used it on both sides. I assume it is soft enough to get good contact with the copper electrodes and the sheet metal. I used to do that when I welded really thin sections, the aluminum made the weld a larger diameter too. And with most welding, everything being super clean is good!

Last edited by DC (6/24/2014 8:20 PM)

6/28/2014 8:53 AM  #7

This morning, I took the bolt out of the top moveable half, and made it a little bit bigger and put a larger bolt in and a fiber shim on one side to make the mechanism work real smooth without the side to sid motion and slack that it had.   This made it were I was ablt to put a lot more pressure down on the weld without it trying to move side to side.    That made a big difference in its performance.  

I actually have it where its able to weld two pieces of 12 gauge real nice.   Welding thinner gauges and thinner to thicker it still welds best with a piece of aluminum underneath it.    

Ive got it where Im confident its making nice, clean useable spot welds.   

My wife told me the reason she bought this for me is she heard me talking about spot welds at different times (and at the bash)   and she got a 20 buck coupon email from ebay (anyone else ever get one of those)  making this a pretty decent purchase for the price of 115 dollars.    

I will post some picks of some welds if anyone wants to see them.  

6/28/2014 9:32 AM  #8

I wonder if an easy approach would be to make some adapters for different size tips - slightly larger in diameter for thinner sheet metal - which would distribute the heat over a larger area and maybe prevent burn thru?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/28/2014 9:54 AM  #9

Is there much use for it on a Mustang?  There are only a very few places where a 7" reach would work.  Cool tool to have, though.  The new bolt thing is a great idea to improve it.  Too bad the builder could not do that from the start!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/17/2014 7:15 AM  #10

I found this video that you mite find entertaining if not useful. I like that he made it so you can remove the arms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlvqib94xQ

Last edited by Derek (7/17/2014 7:15 AM)

7/17/2014 9:18 AM  #11

Greg B wrote:

.....I will post some picks of some welds if anyone wants to see them.  

Welding always fascinates me.  Show some pics!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.