FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2014 8:45 AM  #1

65 Mustang Inline 6 auto to T-5 conversion

I currently have a 1965 Mustang Ford 200 Inline Six with the Cruise-O-matic Auto 3 speed. 

I have been considering swapping it over to a T-5 standard to make it a little more fun to drive. 

My question is : 

Can somebodygive me a clear list of what parts I need to gather up, to do the swap or suggest someone in DFW area that could do It ? 

Also let me say since this is my first Post -- Thanks for having me, I have been reading the board for a while now and know there is alot of knowledge here. 

E1ghttrack

65 Mustang Inline SIX 200, 80's Large Log Head, 2 BBL Weber, Clifford Headers, HEI Ignition

7/03/2014 9:35 AM  #2

Re: 65 Mustang Inline 6 auto to T-5 conversion

What are your plans for the car in the long-run?  A lot of what you would spend for a six-cyliner T-5 conversion can't necessarily be carried over to a V-8.  If you intend to keep it a six-cylinder forever, you also need to look at eventual brake upgrades if desired, wheel selections, etc.  A T-5 with six cylinder friendly ratios out of a 4 cylinder later-model mustang or other source and even some of the V8 T-5's may stress your stock 4-lug rear to its known weak limits so costs can expand quickly on a project like this.  There area  few threads on this forum on the conversion and I have included a few additional links below.  Apparently there are some early to mid-year engine changes that affect bellhousing and clutch selection and decisions need to be made on cable versus original clutch linkage.  MustangSteve indicated in previous posts that he has some of the adaptors that are necessary.  Pay close attention to the $$ and time required to do this conversion versus what your car is worth and your long-term intentions.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Transmission/t5-conversion.htm

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/339539-65-6-cylinder-t5-conversion.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/196342-1966-mustang-t-5-conversion-200-ci.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/110836-t-5-conversion-200-cid-i6.html

http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=135

7/03/2014 10:16 AM  #3

GPatrick -- 

I appreciate your time and response, I guess I should give details as to why and what my intentions are:

The car is and will be my driver and it is a project and part of a promise I made my daughter. I had a daughter and her name was Six Paige, she was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia and eventually had to have a bone marrow transplant. She always helped me work on my 70 Mustang and made me promise her first car would be a 65-66. I know the Inline 6 will cost me a lot more money in the long run, but Six's transplant did not take and she past away about 1.5 years ago. When she did I sold my 2009 Honda Civic and bought my 65 Mustang as a way to keep my promise to her. I bought a Six cylinder because that way she is the heart and soul of the car. Silly in a way, I couldn't fix her but I can fix the car. Over the past year and a half I have done alot to the car already, I have upgraded the head to a late model 80's head milled down to match original 52cc combustion chambers,  adapted a 2 barrel weber carb, clifford header with new Borla exhaust, upgraded to power disc brakes on the front, HEI Ignition, Some suspension work and various other upgrades I would have wanted her to have.

I dont ever plan on the car being a strip car, nor do I ever plan on getting rid of it and I have no intentions of ever making it a V8. If I ever do upgrade the engine it would still be a Six cylinder of some sort. 

I hear it all the time upgrade and put a v8 in it but I have my reasons the Six cylinder means more to me than a v8 would. 

I am just looking to make the car a little funner to drive and I thought the T-5 might  be worth looking into. 

Hope gives a little more insight as to why and what my goals are for the car....

65 Mustang Inline SIX 200, 80's Large Log Head, 2 BBL Weber, Clifford Headers, HEI Ignition

7/03/2014 11:08 AM  #4

Sorry about your loss and I appreciate sharing your story and your current situation with the car.  The 65 six cylinder engines apparently are slightly different than the 66's so it is important to make sure you have the right parts such as bellhousing, flywheel, and pressure plate.  Others on this site can provide you with guideance on part numbers, etc.  As you describe your intentions for the car, the conversion makes sense for you and that is what is most important.  If you read through some of the links, the people who have done the conversion have liked it and one boasts of 30 MPG as well.  To help others with similar conversions in the future keep track of part numbers and take plenty of pictures.  Personally, I would be hesitant to have a shop do this conversion for you unless you have very strong recommendations and/or if they could demonstrate with references that they have done this in the past.

7/03/2014 12:20 PM  #5

Again I appreciate the info and I would rather do it myself, just seems like that is way it should be. Just gathering information so I can make it as painless as possible. having the 65 with small bell throws a wrench into things. That is why I thought I might ask for advice here. 

7/03/2014 4:56 PM  #6

Hello, i have a 65 mustang with the inline 6 in it are you sure its a 65 block? check the casting Number to make sure if its starts with C6 or later then it will make it much quicker to do the swap. also there is a forum dedicated to the ford sixes www.fordsix.com that has a TON of info on this and what bellhousings and other stuff is needed. also post some pic if you can i would like to see it ;)

7/03/2014 5:06 PM  #7

The 65 stepped flywheel is the main problem, and a flat 66 flywheel will not bolt up to the 65.
I have done the swap on a 66 200 I-6, by using a 92 Ranger 9" pressure plate and a 9" clutch disc for a 66 6-cylinder Mustang.  Used an adapter on the bellhousing and modified the bellhousing for a cable clutch actuation.  Pretty straightforward work, just a little tedious.

I have the rear crossmember you need.  You will also need to shorten the driveshaft 3/4". 

It does make the car a totally different animal, for sure.  Alot more fun to drive.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/03/2014 5:12 PM  #8

I am member over there at Ford Six as well, same name -- I purchased pedal hanger from Steve many years ago and my daughter Six and I went and picked it up so I felt I need to be a member here as well, besides you can never have too many Ford Friends. 

To answer your question yes I am sure C5 cast, small bell --- I have considered replacing block to accomodate more options, but then there is no money from T-5..

7/07/2014 2:58 PM  #9

Well -- I may have found a dual pattern 66 block I can pick up -- So I may have to put T-5 on hold for a bit ....

7/18/2014 2:07 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

The 65 stepped flywheel is the main problem, and a flat 66 flywheel will not bolt up to the 65.
I have done the swap on a 66 200 I-6, by using a 92 Ranger 9" pressure plate and a 9" clutch disc for a 66 6-cylinder Mustang.  Used an adapter on the bellhousing and modified the bellhousing for a cable clutch actuation.  Pretty straightforward work, just a little tedious.

I have the rear crossmember you need.  You will also need to shorten the driveshaft 3/4". 

It does make the car a totally different animal, for sure.  Alot more fun to drive.

HAHa I misread that I thought you said Thirdmember, I was like which third member does hes have that would work ...

Does Anyone have any experince with throwing in the 8.8 rearend out of a t-Bird turbo ...  I know it is 2" wider but that can be remedied.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.