FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2014 5:58 PM  #1

1966 mustang Still having brake problems.

Hey Guys I have a 1966 mustang 289 Auto ,  with Granada front Disc conversion, & Drum ,rear with
Aftermarket adjustable proportioning  valve Manual, Not power brakes

I'm trying to replace the Dual bower master cyl  with a new one , But so far when installing a new  Exact same part #  as previous one ! I have either front Brakes dragging  with the original Push Rod, Or a very low pedal with a 3/4" shorter push Rod,(front brakes don't drag with the shorter one) but pedal is way to low before pressing

Anyone had similar issues,?

Or should I go with the Later 68 mustang Dual bowel Manual Master cyl.

Its frustrating ,this car originally came with the single bowel Suicide master cyl.

I'm not ready to convert to 4. Wheel disc or power booster right now just want brakes as before.

Jimmy O

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (7/11/2014 7:56 PM)

7/06/2014 6:18 PM  #2

Re: 1966 mustang Still having brake problems.

What vehicle application was the previous MC for?

7/06/2014 6:42 PM  #3

Hey Steve it's a Cardone 10-1485 said new not re manufactured on box,tho that # when checked says reman! could be a stock thing I also see it says for Drum brakes!,
I got part # from a list of parts and invoices  used on the vehicle when PO was restoring, that's not to say previous on taken off was exactly like new one both are identical, to look at

Jimmy

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (7/06/2014 6:49 PM)

7/06/2014 8:10 PM  #4

If you plan to keep it manual brakes, use the 15/16" bore 74 Maverick non-power disc/drum MC.  They are available new.  If you plan to add power brakes in the future, go ahead and get the 1.0" bore 67-73 Mustang disc/drum 1" bore mc.

I keep these in stock, brand new.

Be sure to bench bleed first.  Did you change anything else on the brakes?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/07/2014 7:16 AM  #5

I'm pretty sure it's leaning toward the push Rod being too long ,even tho I re used the original one , there may be a slight difference in  NEW Mc that's causing front brakes to drag, The car will Push backwards,But will not push or Rol Forward with all 4 wheels lifted right and left front wheels dragging Rear wheels are free and adjustment is spot on, I may look at 2 options once I disconnect  push Rod and see if it releases pressure? I'm going to try to get an Adjustable push Rod and set up see if that works. My feeling is it's just keeping the pedal from relaxing .

Does the 68 Bigger bore manual brake MC  with front disc Give better brake performance/Pedal?

JIMMY

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (7/08/2014 6:59 AM)

7/07/2014 8:57 AM  #6

You could temporarily put two washers at M/C mount to see if brakes operate normal. At least that would indicate the problem for sure?
Howard

7/07/2014 7:47 PM  #7

Release the parking brake...

7/07/2014 9:09 PM  #8

Those dual "bowels" could really get mess if you're not careful!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/08/2014 6:08 AM  #9

The original rod from your CAR is the one to use.  All the master cylinders mentioned have same engagement depth.

7/11/2014 7:22 PM  #10

Steve I've used the Original push Rod, I have great pedal, excellent brakes, But the front brake Calipers are dragging, car will push backwards,but can't push forward,I've bled all the Air out system bench bled the Master cyl, Is there a possibility something is wrong with the distribution. Block or with the Aftermarket Adjustable proportioning valve Fluid distribution? I have disconnected the master cylinder push Rod and the brake Calipers are still dragging on front.

Rear brake adjustment and e/ brake cable are spot on.

Front flex hoses newer and not collapsed,

I've changed the master Cylinder it's a" Cardone Select " part # 13-1485 for a new one (not rebuilt) Bench bled all air out.(this is the same one that came off car and has been working perfectly for 2 yrs)

I know the push Rod length is critical but I'm confident that's  not the issue as I've tried different sizes

Any info suggestions???? What am I missing,  I've only had this issue since changing Right rear wheel cylinder ( was leaking) and master cylinder ( was not giving any problems before)

289 Auto, Non power, Dual Master, & Granada front disc conversion ,Drum rear brakes

Jimmy O

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (7/11/2014 7:24 PM)

7/11/2014 8:12 PM  #11

The MC you are using is for all wheel drums and isn't designed for disc brakes. It's not very common anymore for replacement MCs to have residual pressure valves in the port(s) that feed the drum brake circuit(s), even if it's an OEM replacement MC.

However, it may be possible that you just happened to get a replacement drum/drum MC with RPVs . If this is the case, the residual pressure valve would keep a slight amount of pressure applied to the brakes on the front brake circuit, which could keep the caliper pistons from fully retracting and would cause the front brakes to drag.

The RPV can be removed from the MC (if the valve is present), to operate on a disc brake setup. However, that does not solve another (potential) problem.  Fluid capacity of drum/drum MCs and disc/drum MCs is different.  A disc/drum MC will have more fluid capacity. Your MC may actuate the brakes now but as the thickness of the disc pads wear down, the fluid level in the primary bowl is going to drop. Disc brake pads are much thicker than the lining thickness on a drum brake shoe.

If the pads wear down enough, the current MC could run out of fluid reserve to supply the calipers. If this happens, you run out of brakes.

A MC actually designed for the brake system setup you have will likely give you much better results and the safety of having plenty of fluid reserve to continue supporting the brakes even after the friction linings have worn down.

Last edited by ultrastang (7/11/2014 8:13 PM)

7/11/2014 8:47 PM  #12

I think you have nailed it Ultrastang,this makes sense, is there a particular master cylinder  and part# you would recommend for my set up

Would the 68 non power front disc MC Be an option ??

Jimmy O

7/11/2014 9:56 PM  #13

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OBH0/NMC1614/01292.oap?year=1980&make=Ford&model=Granada&vi=1130016&ck=Search_01292_1130016_787&pt=01292&ppt=C0066

You don't necessarily have to buy from this particular parts company but, this is probably the best match for your brake setup.

7/14/2014 7:27 PM  #14

Thanks Everyone for the Advice,

I took the original Master cylinder  in to be Rebuilt, and also I took the  New Master Cylinder that was causing my  Front Brakes to Stick on Turns out Ultrastang was Spot on  with his diagnosis. and the new master cyl had RPVs which were causing my problem, Luckily they had a brand new one without RPVs on the shelf ,so I'm up and Running and Ready to Cruise.

I'm now working on prices and options to maybe replace the Granada brake set up with a Brake Upgrade kit,Rear disc or bigger brakes and Drums? & power Booster to install over the Winter,

This whole brake thing was a Nightmare not knowing what parts or part numbers were installed by P.O

Jimmy O

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.