FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2014 5:49 PM  #1

Installing the intake manifold on a 302

Steve: Your pictures show using a RTV bead  at the front and back of the block and discarding any cork or Rubber gaskets . To clarify does this mean only the RtV is used no gasket at all ? Sorry for a dumb ?

7/10/2014 6:57 PM  #2

Re: Installing the intake manifold on a 302

Steve sez only RTV on the front & Rear mating surfaces. Do use the gaskets on the head to intake surfaces. I use 4 studs at the corners of the intake to set the intake down with no sliding.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

7/10/2014 9:11 PM  #3

It says to toss the end seals in the trash and use RTV.  I just installed one this morning using that method.  It will never leak.  Be sure to put that paper thin wet layer on the bottom of the intake end seal surfaces, then the bead on the block.  The paper thin layer makes sure that if there is any irregularity in the joint, you have full coverage on both surfaces so the RTV will flow and adhere to both.  The intake I took off had (someone else's installation) RTV but there were gaps everywhere.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/10/2014 9:41 PM  #4

Thanks. I tried to get registered for photos but did not have success . The rear gasket strip had slipped out in the area where the rectanglar area is in the block i think it was a back fire which put a lot of pressure in the crankcase .so i am going to add aditional venting on the valve cover. That was were the leak was . Thanks for the instructions on putting it back together. I should have been more complete in describing my problem. The intake is a 69 70 ford tunnel ram  alumimum intake mounted on a 93 302.  ? as to compatability . I don't know. 

7/11/2014 8:00 AM  #5

Steve's way definitely works well but you can also use the end gaskets if you take the time to make them fit correctly.  Most of them are just a bit too long so they tend to squeeze out after they are installed.  I found that if you test fit them (no RTV, just dry) and trim them a little at a time until they lay flat on the end flange, they do not squeeze out after being installed.  Do use a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the end gaskets and a thicker blob at each end where the block meets the heads when you install them "for real" though.

Last edited by John Ha (7/11/2014 8:02 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

7/11/2014 8:56 AM  #6

How do i become a member Perpetually Bewildered Society?

7/11/2014 11:05 AM  #7

mrputz1 wrote:

How do i become a member Perpetually Bewildered Society?

I'm not sure - I don't even know how I became a member  

:-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

7/11/2014 6:12 PM  #8

I stopped using the end gaskets years ago and have never had problems w/only using the RTV.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/14/2014 2:46 PM  #9

The problem with the end gaskets is they have to be compressed in order to work.  RTV is just THERE once it hardens up, so it will never leak.

A gasket that is compressed has one of two things going on... First, it is compressed to the point where it deforms enough to be squished out of its position.  It spends the rest of its life trying to get compressed the heck out of there.  The other thing that can happen is it finally gives up being compressed and then just quits working altogether.  Once it loses that elaasticity, it is gone and creates gaps.

RTV will never shrink, is not compressed and does not lose its adhesion if the surfaces are properly cleaned prior to installation.  Plus it is just alot easier.

7/20/2014 6:42 PM  #10

Followed steves method .no leaks. But the engine wouldn't start. Used a Felpro gasket set from jegs recomdation . Big problem it was a universal for up to a 351.It had just slightly larger openings than a earlier manifold. Using the 69 70 intake Ford dual carb i found that the manifold is not as wide as a manifold from a 93. which is the block. so it had no suction on the carbs as it was pulling air from the inside of the engine. Pulled the manifold and now will use rubber cement and glue them to the intake first b/4 placing the manifold back on. Live and learn . Perhaps 3 times will be a charm. Any suggestions i am open .

7/20/2014 9:34 PM  #11

If the manifold is old or after market, it may have been machined at some point to match heads that had been milled or it may have been bad out of the box.  If it is not compressing against the stock gaskets, any RTV you put in there to seal it will not hold up over time or even a few minutes as RTV products generally are not gas friendly.  You need to find out why it didn't seat.  The end seals will often prevent the intake from seating but if you indeed did not use them about the only thing that comes into play is either the complete wrong gaskets, machining of the intake, or some casting bosses on the underside that are hitting something.  There are several companies that make thick gaskets for this purpose and this is the proper correction over RTV.  Try setting the intake in place with no gaskets to see how well it seats and to determine if there are any obstructions underneath that are preventing it from sitting properly.  You may be able to measure the intake to head gaps if wth feeler blades but this may be tricky.  If you do need a thick gasket set, I can check with my local engine guy to see what brand he recommends.  I had to use a set on my 428 after some head machining and they worked great.

7/21/2014 7:30 AM  #12

It was  a problem with the Fel-pro gaskets as the openings for the intake are universal for several engines on the gaskets. They were the .060. Because the manifold is a special manufacture by Ford as i undersand it they manufactured only in 69 and 70 and it isn't as wide front to rear. i have a pair of loose heads that i am going to check compatability wise for alignment with the intake holes and the water holes b/4 assembling on the engine in the car. I admit i am still learning about build something other than stock.

7/21/2014 8:19 PM  #13

intake manifold sizes are exactly the same  new vs old. DO NOT DO NOT use universal Fel-pro gasket set for multiple engines. A 351 is not a 302. The 351 has slightly larger openings. Just enough to alow air leaks form area under the maniflod. Alas no drawing fuel through the carbs. Will not run.

7/21/2014 9:57 PM  #14

289, 5.0 and 351W gaskets are different and should match the ports on the HEADS.  if it matches the head, the intake will take care of itself.

Do you have some documantation on that naroower intake  I have never heard of that before...

7/21/2014 11:38 PM  #15

Expanding on GPatrick's response, I would think that the manifold was milled to fit heads that had been milled to a significant amount, like 0.040-0.060".  This is necessary or the manifold will not line up properly with the ports in the head.  You can try to double up the manifold gaskets to get back to the correct alignment ... and I still would use RTV instead of the end gaskets.

7/22/2014 12:43 AM  #16

I'm trying to track the vendor of the thick gaskets I used in the past but in Australia this week and the time zones are not cooperating.  Many gasket suppliers offer .060 and .090 gaskets and there even some .120's out there for certain applications.  If your uninstalled gap equals the compressed thickness of the gasket, it probably won't seal.

7/22/2014 1:02 AM  #17

Use some modling clay on the head gasket sufaces. vaseline the intake,,set it in place and snug it down not torque then remove the intake you can cut the clay and measure how thick it is compare it top of ports to bottom side to side etc.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

7/23/2014 6:17 PM  #18

Great idea . If the latest installation doesn't work ill do it with the clay. Becoming an expert on pulling and re-installing .

7/24/2014 2:40 PM  #19

Milling heads on a SBF can really mess things up.  Things like port alignment and water jacket port alignment, as well as the bolt holes.  That is why I have always said, for anything I work on, the heads cannot get milled more than 0.040" without causing problems.  Stock intake will still bolt up.

If heads are milled, the intake will still sit at the same elevation in relation to the engine block, so the end seal gap will not change.  Milling the intake there would gain nothing since the head and intake ports are still misaligned after milling heads. 

If BOTH SIDES on the intake AND both end seals were milled, the intake could then sit a little lower to match the repositioned heads.

I am glad I have never run across that issue.

7/24/2014 4:28 PM  #20

Thanks for the continuing conversation. It ran fine b/4 with the correct gaskets .So when i   bought a a gasket set from JEGS RACE they shipped the universal set which has larger intake and ehaust ports to accomdate a 351 it was drawing air from the valley and not through the carbs Thats where the problem is not any milling as this was a stock engine and i have determined that the intake is also stock . Sooooo i will be firing it up soon . More later .

7/25/2014 9:30 AM  #21

MS, regarding your last post, agree w/everything stated.  In my case, I was racing a 289 w/351W heads that were milled a significant amount (I do not remember the total), the intake manifolds sides were milled for port matching, but the manifold ends were not milled.  When assembling the manifold the end gaskets they were pushed out of alignment (due to the manifold sitting lower the normal), this is when we stopped using end gaskets, and just RTV.
Also, w/o the end gaskets and just paper thin RTV on the manifold surfaces eliminated the intake manifold bolt "loosening" issue as you indicated.  And, I follow the same torquing method you described.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.