FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2014 2:43 PM  #1

5 Speed Trans for 66 mustang with 289

Looking on Craigslist and see a 5 speed from 97 mustang. Will this trans fit in 66 mustang and do I need to get bellhousing and drive shaft. My present 66 has a 289 but uses a 6cyl 3speed manual trans. Not sure what bell housing I have now.
What parts do I need to swap to a 5 speed?

thanks

7/13/2014 3:54 PM  #2

Re: 5 Speed Trans for 66 mustang with 289

You really need a T5 and bell housing from a 89-93. Then you would need a cable clutch kit. Easiest way to go.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

7/13/2014 5:22 PM  #3

I agree with at. I have a 92 T-5 and bell in my 66. Check Steves product page for the cable clutch set up.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/13/2014 7:18 PM  #4

at wrote:

You really need a T5 and bell housing from a 89-93. Then you would need a cable clutch kit. Easiest way to go.

Thanks appreciate the feed back, I buy enough stuff I do not need
thanks

7/14/2014 3:04 PM  #5

I put a t5 trans in my 1970 ranchero. I bought it from cj mustang ( if i remember correctly!) I had to purchase an aluminum plate (adapter)to bolt to the outside of my Bellhousing that had the correct bolt hole pattern for the t5, I was able to use my crossmember but I had to shorten my driveshaft about an inch! Their kit included a new slip yoke end for the drive shaft. The hardest part was the floor. The T5 sat  higher than the old 3spd so I had to cut out a little more of my floor pan for clearance!  Once I had the transmission all situated , I went to a salvage yard and had them cut out a section of the floor hump from a newer mustang. I took that home and trimed my floor and this mustang piece to fit . I mig welded it and painted the floor and then installed the mustang floor boot. looks like it was built like that! Oh my car was a 3 spd on the coloum originally! Some one had put a floor shifter in the car prior to my purchasing the car. That person just hacked a hole in the floor and left it. I must add what a differance the 5 speed made in the driveability of the car! It was well worth the work!

7/14/2014 7:38 PM  #6

Itll work fine with a 94/95 v8 bell, or swap the input shaft to the shorter one and use the fox bell

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.