FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2014 11:15 AM  #1

rear disc caliper swap on a Versailles rear

OK, looking at the MS kits available to dump these stupid Versailles rear calipers so I can have real parking brakes.  here's my delimma.
I'm running 15" Magnum 500 wheels.  MS's kits have the disclaimer that 17" wheels must be used. Now I know that is usually the case due to the much larger front rotor/caliper set up.  Seeing that I am happy with my current fronts, and only need rears, does this still apply?
(I guess I could try my Magnum 500 on my '95 with Cobra brakes?! Yea, I just thought of that.....)

Also, if I use the adapters for the SN95 Cobra's, can I just use the GT calipers since I think they were the same size diameter, just a thicker rotor and thinner pad? I actually have a set of these on the shelf.
Same question for the '05 and up rear calipers. Will they fit behind 15's?

Last edited by ScottsGT (7/14/2014 11:17 AM)

7/14/2014 1:53 PM  #2

Re: rear disc caliper swap on a Versailles rear

Cobra brakes typically will clear 15" wheels on the back.  MOST 15" wheels, but not all.  Try the Magnums on your other car.  I bet they will fit.

Cobra brakes are larger diameter and the rotors are thicker. You must use COBRA rear brake parts,including rotors, caliper and pads.  Pads look same but are different due to thicker rotor.

I have not tried the 05 and newer calipers behind 15's.  One majot difference is they mount 1" closer to the wheel than the cobra setup.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2014 5:50 PM  #3

I too have been thinking about doing the versaille rear with cobra disk on my 67 mustang, but if I'm not mistaken that would make the rear rotor close to 1/2 inch bigger than the front factory disk rotor. Do you guys think they would still function properly or would that rotor/caliper combo 'over power' the factory front disk? I guess a manual prop valve would eliminate that.
I also need to check clearance with 15 inch styled steel wheels.

7/14/2014 6:06 PM  #4

Sorry MS but what about ultrastangs rear disc conversion that uses 94-04 v6-gt brakes?

7/14/2014 9:36 PM  #5

Look at most pickup trucks on the market today.  Most have larger OD rotors in back than in front.  I am speculating that is to give them better control over keeping them from locking up.  You can use less line pressure with a larger rotor and same size caliper to get same braking.

7/15/2014 5:10 AM  #6

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Cobra and the GT calipers are the same.The difference is the bracket where the pins slide in and out of. You can purchase the Cobra bracket at NAPA for around $20 each. Part # for RR: CAL N141593 / Part # for LR: CAL N141593 Then use the Cobra pads and rotors. I guess you could take the calipers to the part store and conpare them.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/15/2014 1:16 PM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

Sorry MS but what about ultrastangs rear disc conversion that uses 94-04 v6-gt brakes?

I have Ultrastangs v6 kit on my rear to compliment Steve's 12.5" fronts. It is a great combination and the parking brake works. I don't see the need for vented rear brakes.
BobN

7/15/2014 9:04 PM  #8

wsinsle wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Cobra and the GT calipers are the same.The difference is the bracket where the pins slide in and out of. You can purchase the Cobra bracket at NAPA for around $20 each. Part # for RR: CAL N141593 / Part # for LR: CAL N141593 Then use the Cobra pads and rotors. I guess you could take the calipers to the part store and conpare them.

Consider yourself corrected.  They are different and the rotors are different diameters as well as thickness.

7/16/2014 9:14 AM  #9

Steve both NAPA and Advance auto list the same part number for the Base model and the Cobra caliper. I'm talking for this part.

This is the bracket for the base model Mustang as yor pic shows the opening is narrower for the smaller rotor.

Below is the bracket for the Cobra rear calipers. The opening is a little wider for the larger rotors. the bracket is also a made more ridiget.

What I was trying to suggest was Scott could use his rear GT calipers and purchase the Cobra caliper bracket. This way he could use part of what he already has if deciding to go with your Cobra adapter brackets.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/16/2014 7:52 PM  #10

OK, I guess that would work.  Be sure to use correct pads.  Either fit the calipers but the cobra pads are thinner.

When I think of buying a caliper, it normally includes the bracket as a unit.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.