FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2014 10:02 AM  #1

Many of you might find this a weird offer...

First, I should say I'm not sure if I can make the bash, but I have no good excuses since I'm already in Illinois!

I'm always wondering what other people's modifications have done for their ride.  These cars are fun to look at, but I'd bet it's hard to truly appreciate what some of these mods do for a car unless you drive it, or at least ride in it.

I was thinking, if there are folks that wonder what 411 gears feel like, or how a T-5 behaves when mated with a cobra clutch and 411's, or wonder what a convertible is like compared to their coupe, or wanna feel subframe connectors, or wonder what the hydraulic clutch feels like... I'd let any who want to, drive my car around and check it out.  I'm not particularly protective of it, and besides, I know you all appreciate the hours spent on cobbling these things together.  You'd take good care of it. Anyway, assuming I make it to the bash, and if any of you are curious about any of the alterations I've made to mine, I'd love for you to take it for a spin and check them out.  Seems like a great way to assess what else we'd want to do to our own rides.

I know others are very protective of their babies, and wouldn't at all feel comfortable with turning others loose with them, and that's perfectly understandable.  I just thought I'd float that offer out there.  I think it'd be fun.  I might even stumble into some solutions for some pesky imperfections since you are all so experienced.  Door rattles, squeeks, etc... There's no telling what you might have solutions for!  If I make it there, I'll make sure it has plenty of gas. 

Lance

7/16/2014 10:24 AM  #2

Re: Many of you might find this a weird offer...

Not a bad idea, Lance.  MS has said a couple of times that he would  like to drive some other cars  just to feel what people have done.  If the heap makes it this year I had already planned to hand him the keys. 

I can't  believe anyone would go out and  beat another guy's  car (maybe) but I agree it would be fun and enlightening to  drive other projects.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/16/2014 11:25 AM  #3

I don't know Lance, have you seen the Corky video?

Sorry Corky, I couldn't resist.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

7/16/2014 11:37 AM  #4

Lance wrote:

First, I should say I'm not sure if I can make the bash, but I have no good excuses since I'm already in Illinois!

I'm always wondering what other people's modifications have done for their ride.  These cars are fun to look at, but I'd bet it's hard to truly appreciate what some of these mods do for a car unless you drive it, or at least ride in it.

I was thinking, if there are folks that wonder what 411 gears feel like, or how a T-5 behaves when mated with a cobra clutch and 411's, or wonder what a convertible is like compared to their coupe, or wanna feel subframe connectors, or wonder what the hydraulic clutch feels like... I'd let any who want to, drive my car around and check it out.  I'm not particularly protective of it, and besides, I know you all appreciate the hours spent on cobbling these things together.  You'd take good care of it. Anyway, assuming I make it to the bash, and if any of you are curious about any of the alterations I've made to mine, I'd love for you to take it for a spin and check them out.  Seems like a great way to assess what else we'd want to do to our own rides.

I know others are very protective of their babies, and wouldn't at all feel comfortable with turning others loose with them, and that's perfectly understandable.  I just thought I'd float that offer out there.  I think it'd be fun.  I might even stumble into some solutions for some pesky imperfections since you are all so experienced.  Door rattles, squeeks, etc... There's no telling what you might have solutions for!  If I make it there, I'll make sure it has plenty of gas. 

Lance

At the last bash,  there was a convertible 71-73 mustang, yellow, I am ashamed that I can't recall the owners name at the moment, please forgive me, Jeff? maybe,   but I was sitting with him and Corky and Mrs. Corky and my kids in Cracker Barrel and I told him that I never driven that year(s) mustang and HE HANDED ME  HIS KEYS and said to go and take it out for a spin.  He was serious. I felt awkward about doing that so I declined his generous offer.  I still would like to drive that year convertible. I always thought I was too short for those year mustangs, since they seem to have a deep seating area to me.  

I don't mind if someone wants to drive my car. Disclaimer:  ( must be over the age of 18,  have a valid drivers license, must not be wearing a Bob Marley Tshirt, and test drives must be done before the partaking of adult beverages. LOL)

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

7/16/2014 12:01 PM  #5

The site for the bash has a nice 2 lane highway that leads to it.  it is a good road and has some nice sweeping curves and some long straight places.  Should be a great test track!!  I'm not responsible for any tickets.  Our current Sheriff and our incoming Sheriff both have classic Mustangs and should be there!! just sayin!!

7/16/2014 12:30 PM  #6

You invited the Law???????????

Excellent!

7/16/2014 12:31 PM  #7

Lance let me drive his car a couple of years ago.  I babied it and wouldnt get on it at all, as my reasons for driving it were ergonomic medically related.   But I rode in it with him driving, and you DEFINATELY notice those gears!    Its a nice, sweet ride!  

Last edited by Greg B (7/16/2014 12:32 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/16/2014 12:40 PM  #8

Well, I suppose I can offer bash attendees a premodification baseline.  About my only mods are aftermarket mufflers and floormats, lol  Oh yeah, it's got new bgf t/a's that are a tad bigger than what Ford offered in 65.

Are there any mailboxes in the vicinity???? I'll be needing to drive it home.

7/16/2014 5:44 PM  #9

I have always let friends test drive my cars and ask them to be absolutely honest....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/16/2014 7:49 PM  #10

The only time anyone other than me has been behind the wheel of my fastback was right after I painted it.  The other guy (a well known and respected forum member and someone who I would consider my best friend and a very careful person and also owned a fastback very similar to mine) proceeded to back it into my neighbor's fence post, scraping the quarter panel.  Unintentional, of course, and was forgiven for it, but the damage still remained.

All that said, I would be more likely to let a stranger drive my car than a good friend.  There is just too much that can happen when behind the wheel of a car.  I feel my friendships are too valuable to risk having something happen that might strain the relationship.  I would sure like to ride in everyone's car with THEM driving, and I would sure be proud to have everyone ride in my car with ME driving.  That is just the way I feel, and I applaud those who are able to hand over the keys, but I just can't do it.  Too many hours involved in building the car to have something happen, because I am not sure how I would feel if something DID happen.

Hope that doesn't sound too... well, whatever it sounds like.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/16/2014 8:06 PM  #11

MS, That sounds like me!  Since I have owned my car there have been 3 other people drive it. My wife, and 2 mechanics.  Well actually 1 mechanic and one guy who wants to be when he grows up!  they were aligning the front-end.

I have had 3 other members on here ride with me but friendships are too valuable!!

7/16/2014 10:44 PM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

The only time anyone other than me has been behind the wheel of my fastback was right after I painted it.  The other guy (a well known and respected forum member and someone who I would consider my best friend and a very careful person and also owned a fastback very similar to mine) proceeded to back it into my neighbor's fence post, scraping the quarter panel.  Unintentional, of course, and was forgiven for it, but the damage still remained.

All that said, I would be more likely to let a stranger drive my car than a good friend.  There is just too much that can happen when behind the wheel of a car.  I feel my friendships are too valuable to risk having something happen that might strain the relationship.  I would sure like to ride in everyone's car with THEM driving, and I would sure be proud to have everyone ride in my car with ME driving.  That is just the way I feel, and I applaud those who are able to hand over the keys, but I just can't do it.  Too many hours involved in building the car to have something happen, because I am not sure how I would feel if something DID happen.

Hope that doesn't sound too... well, whatever it sounds like.

Oh WELL!!!! I guess that's a NO Sal you can't "stretch-it-out-one-time"!! 
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/16/2014 10:54 PM  #13

Well  I hammered the "cr**" outta that Boss Mustang of Don Sellars (and enjoyed it GREATLY) butt....that's what that thang is made for! Woo-weee!
I must admit... he was with me and (if you guys know him..) encouraged every..full throttle...rev limiter bump'in...tire spinn'in...side-wise in third gear...missed second AND third gear shift'in....breath tak'in....eyeball flattening minute of driving!!
There is a difference between tear'in somebodys stuff up and a little spirited acceleration.
I never knew how cool mine sounded(with open headers) until I let a good friend drive it around the block with me standing and watching.
Good idea Lance!
You REALLY invited the cops?!!!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/17/2014 5:31 AM  #14

Just to clear things up a little...if I let a friend drive my car it's not to go out to dinner...I'm usually riding Shotgun....jj

PS, there are some people I would Never let drive my car...

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/17/2014 5:54 AM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

You REALLY invited the cops?!!!!!!
6sal6

This 68 (I think) Cali special belongs to our incoming Sheriff. So yes I invited the cops!   Does that make you nervous Sal??

7/17/2014 9:33 AM  #16

I hinted at it in the original message, but it should be re-emphasized...

NO ONE should feel awkward for not wanting others to drive their ride.  It shouldn't reflect negatively on them at all.  That's normal behavior.

If anything, we that would "trade 'em up" are the oddballs, but I pride myself on being the odd man out.  I fully expect at least two or three suggestions for improvements that I'm currently unaware I need. Looking forward to it!

7/17/2014 9:43 AM  #17

Terry,

I was thinking... If there is a neat little "stage" there somewhere to serve as a background for a car photo, I'd have fun tinkering with the images using my favorite program and an ipad.  You could have a nice little photo album for any of the attendees that wanted a photo.  I'd be happy to e-mail them back to the owner. Could be fun...

7/17/2014 10:04 AM  #18

this campground is at our Lake and there is a lot of scenic backgrounds you can use.  we have a big car show there in August and pro photographers use it!!

7/17/2014 10:09 AM  #19

this pix was taken there

7/17/2014 10:14 AM  #20

Here are a few more of the site

7/17/2014 11:40 AM  #21

Cops being there can be a good thing, as long as they are there with you not looking for you.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/17/2014 12:47 PM  #22

I have driven 9 other forum member's cars.
 Including;
Deb's 6cyl 5speed
Don's 408 2+2 (&2012 BOSS)
Lstar's silver 65Vert
The 6s6 Coupe
Jean's Coupe

Without my even asking MS said "No."

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

7/17/2014 12:57 PM  #23

Any of you who have attended any bash was in the presence of a cop whether you knew it or not. ...just saying...

7/17/2014 1:01 PM  #24

ultrastang wrote:

Any of you who have attended any bash was in the presence of a cop whether you knew it or not. ...just saying...

Yeah, Butt He's Retired Now.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

7/17/2014 3:35 PM  #25

Tubo wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

Yeah, Butt He's Retired Now.

Tubo

You're messin' up my story. :-P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.