FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2014 8:24 AM  #1

Hey Bullet Bob

Did you narrow that 8.8  yourself or have it done, I'm planning on doing one when I get home and was wondering how hard it is to get the axle tubes out?

Last edited by Hakan (7/21/2014 9:18 AM)

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

7/21/2014 8:54 AM  #2

Re: Hey Bullet Bob

bulletbirdman wrote:

Did you narrow that 8.8  yourself or have it done, I'm planning on doing one when I get home and was wondering how hard it is to get the axle tubes out?

I did it myself but after a lot of research I found that it was about 50/50 on pulling the tube or cutting it.  So....I cut it and had a  cert. welder friend weld it back  together. 

I cut mine where the weld would be under the new spring perch but if I were to do  it again I'd cut it so the weld would be about three inches from the center section.  I think that would make the final straightening much easier.

When you get ready you can borrow the  alignment jig for the cost of shipping, if you want.  It ain't perfect but will help you get it to within 1/16 to 1/8 inch and I believe that's close enough. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/21/2014 9:22 AM  #3

FYI, I've edited the two messages above, just correcting formatting, the content is still the same.

7/21/2014 10:47 AM  #4

Hakan wrote:

FYI, I've edited the two messages above, just correcting formatting, the content is still the same.

What?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/21/2014 11:09 AM  #5

Bullet Bob wrote:

What?

Don't worry BB, you had just written your answer inside the quote of the message you were answering making it hard to understand who had written what.

7/22/2014 12:18 AM  #6

Thanks BB and you to Hakan

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

7/22/2014 6:18 AM  #7

Hakan wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

What?

Don't worry BB, you had just written your answer inside the quote of the message you were answering making it hard to understand who had written what.

Oh!  Well, thanks Hakan.

BB

7/22/2014 8:32 AM  #8

I have done several 8.8's and like BB said cutting the tube is the way to go. I have welded them all myself with no issues, but if it will make you sleep better at tnight, have a pro do it. Like BB I made a jig, mine is a long piece of heavy wall tube sized so it fits through the axle tube ends. I have inserts for the various size wheel end bearing bores so the tube is a tight slip fit. I also have inserts for the differential bearing bores the are also s slip fit on the tube. I usually set up with guage plates on the wheel ends after welding to check for toe and camber. A litte heat with the torch on the long side then cooling will bring everything nice and straight. I usually work till within .005 on a 24 inch plate.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.