FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2014 4:55 AM  #1

Strange Phenomenon - Silky Welds

Has anyone ever experienced the following and know why it's happening?

My front frame rails were pretty thrashed from the previous owner jacking up the car under them. I cut the bottom of the passenger side front frame rail out, hammer/dollied the sides flat again, flattened out the piece I cut out, then filed down the edges so it fit back in again as a patch. Cleaned up the edges on both sides and removed what was left of the red oxide primer with a wire wheel, wiped surfaces down with acetone.

When I started tack welding the piece in place, immediately after welding the welds were covered with what looked like white silk or thick spider webs. It wipes away by hand easily, but while welding I can even see some of it come off and float through the air. Anyone have any idea what this is? The joints look to be bare metal, but it seems like some kind of residue is left on the metal ... 

7/27/2014 5:23 AM  #2

Re: Strange Phenomenon - Silky Welds

Hmmm, so after doing some research it seems the silky stuff is because the metal was galvanized ... I had no idea anything on these cars was actually galvanized from the factory. Good thing I always wear a respirator when welding and decided to quit for the night after tack welding rather than welding up the rails. I guess I'll have to cut the tacks and go back and grind as much of the zinc coating of as possible ... tough to do, at least on the backside on the welds (inside the frame rails). 

I've read that welding galvanized steel results in brittle welds, 6sal6, as a former welder any input on this? Any idea how I should proceed? 

7/27/2014 8:51 AM  #3

Those frame rail sections are real easy to replace in entirety, and can be done so it looks factory with little effort.  I would think it would be alot better to just install new ones.

But if they are already all installed with the new piece, I would say you are past that point! 

Yes, the galvanized metal is the issue.  It also is emitting phosgene gas as you are welding it.  Hope you had good ventilation.  It can give you one heck of a very sore throat!

I have used flapper wheels with 120 grit to sand galvanized metal prior to welding.  It takes it right off. 
Those floor beams and the rockers are about the only galvanized parts I kow of, but my particular 66 did come with a galvanized rear valance.  Have never seen another one.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/27/2014 10:01 AM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

Yes, the galvanized metal is the issue.  It also is emitting phosgene gas as you are welding it.  Hope you had good ventilation.  It can give you one heck of a very sore throat!.

Umm, welding on galvanized does not generate phosgene. Electric arc on galvanized vaporizes zinc which is the respiratory irritant. You can make phosgene when welding by combining chlorinated solvent (like original Brakleen) with electric arc and argon shielding gas. Phosgene does not make you sick, it causes permanent neurological damage and kills you, very painfully. DO NOT PRECLEAN YOUR WELDS WITH A CHLORINATED SOLVENT! Use acetone or a water based degreaser.

Fun fact: if you ingest enough zinc, it permanently kills your sense of smell.

Last edited by Hornman (7/27/2014 2:34 PM)

7/28/2014 3:41 AM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

Those frame rail sections are real easy to replace in entirety, and can be done so it looks factory with little effort.  I would think it would be alot better to just install new ones.

I originally bought a new frame rail, but realized it would be a whole lot more work to install a new one than to just cut the piece out of the original and weld in a patch.

So, my solution: I cut the tack welds, pulled the patch piece back out, ground off all of the zinc to bare steel about half an inch into both sides of the part front and back with an 80 grit sanding disc. On the frame rail I did the same on the outside, and tried to get as much of the zinc from the inside as I could with the angle die grinder.  

Voila: finished the job, no more silky residue. 

7/28/2014 7:40 AM  #6

Good on 'ya!
Just grind what you can and go for it!
Galvanize is bad stuff if you breathe a bunch of it. Gives you chills and fever like the flu.Ache all over. Don't axe me how I know!!
If you got most of it off it won't weaken the weld. (Not the kind you are doing.....Not X-ray quality)
6sal6
Those little threads are kinda cute the way they float off,huh?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.