FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2014 5:08 AM  #1

steering box

Hi i have a 66 coupe that im restoring and i am trying to remove the old steering box from the steering colum. I took the three bolts holding it in place but i still cant get it off the colum. I dont see anything holding it on, I tried a pry bar and everything. It slides down about a half inch and stops. I feelstupid but doesnt it just slide in and out of the steering box? Please help a newbie out lol.

7/28/2014 5:30 AM  #2

Re: steering box

The steering shaft...in the column...is  one-piece all the way to the steering box on a 66.  When I took ours apart I just removed the steering wheel and column clamp under the dash.  Then dropped the steering arm from the box, unbolted the box and the the column came off of the shaft leaving the steering box and "speer" as one piece which comes out through the engine compartment.

The one piece shaft is the reason many people go to a collapsable column in these cars.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/28/2014 6:07 AM  #3

To remove the shaft from the box you have to unscrew the large nut out of the box that is around the shaft. Then turn the shaft counter clockwise and it will screw itself out along with the bearings. If you do this be aware the bearings are loose and will be all over the floor and inside the box.

Last edited by at (7/28/2014 6:11 AM)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

7/28/2014 7:53 AM  #4

If you are planning to install an upgraded steering box of some sort, the easiest way to remove the old box is to pull the outer tube steering column then cut the steering shaft just above the box. An abrasive cut off wheel works well. Or a plasma cutter, or oxy torch, or a 14 year old with a hacksaw and a pile of blades. Sadly, there is not much of a secondary market for 48 year old steering boxes with solid shafts.

7/28/2014 12:14 PM  #5

Are you just trying to remove the column tube from the box/shaft so you can repaint the column tube?

To do THAT, just remove the steeing wheel, the clamp holding the tube to the dash, and unplug the wiring harness going to the column (two plugs).  Then slide the tube off the shaft, pulling it up towards the driver seat.  There may be crud or corrosion holding the column tube's lower rubber seal to the shaft, but you should be able to overcome it.

The shaft itself and the box are one assembly.  I would not recommend you trying to remove the shaft from the box unless you really know what you are doing, or unless it is ready for the scrap pile and you want to learn how a recirculating ball steering box comes apart.  Or, if you have the confidence, go for it.  It is tedious but not impossible to reassemble it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.