FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2014 9:02 PM  #26

Re: New play car

Ok after an 800 plus round trip, the Falcon is at home in the garage, my 12 year old and I are beat, I will try to get some photos loaded tomarrow .

Like all the ideas , but I will stay Ford all the way, just in case that spare 5.0 every drops in it. I hope to have the willpower to work with the six,

First on the list of upgrades is brakes , I need to figure out which makes the most since, the Granada swap or go with MS late model set up like I did on the  68. I'll take all opinions and remember this thing isl light. The biggest plus for the Granada set up ISO can use 15" wheels which will help the ride over 17

8/10/2014 9:24 PM  #27

Don't forget......big/wide rubber is a mileage killer! Jus'say'in
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/12/2014 4:55 AM  #28

Loaded up and ready to head south, we haft to fine somewhere good to eat, this 12 year old boy is about to fall apart if he doesnt get food soon.

Photo#2 &3 are at home at last, getting unloaded and in the garage, as soon as it quits raining, I will get some better photos to show everyone.

I did drive it about 10 miles to the county clerk for inspection and transfer, and this thing is light, it drives light. The 170 six and 2 speed auto is a force to be reckond with (Ha Ha), by the way, the factory manual choke is nice, it opens when I want it to.

Thans for the support guys.

8/12/2014 2:08 PM  #29

That's a good looking starter! As far as brakes are concerned I'd go with the Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston setup vs. the Granada if you want to keep the 15" wheels. I've never really liked the looks of the Granada brakes and I'd bet the KH setup will stop better. The CSRP KH kit is pretty nice for the price and personally I think a 215/15/60 fits the 63 Falcon really nicely. If 17" wheels I don't think there's much better bang for the buck than the late model GT setup with the MS brackets if you can get a good deal on new take offs.

(Pinto!)

8/12/2014 3:19 PM  #30

I néed to compare prices, the problem is MS set up is a lot of bang for your buck, but it forces you into 17" wheels. I have seen these 63's with 17's and I guess it looks ok but for me it's all about keeping the proportions right and this is a short / tall car and I think the 15's look better. Plus a 17 would mean something like 215-45 or 40's which are going to ride terrible on this car. I think these cars look great with classic magnum 500's or styled steel wheels and raised white letters, I know a little old school. I agree 215's would be about right it has 195-70-14's right now and they don't look that small realative to the car.  I have always ran staggered wheels and tires and I am liking the thought of buying five all the same and having a spare and bring able to rotate. Brakes get the ball rolling, that will determine wheels, steering, suspension and so on.

8/12/2014 7:53 PM  #32

This is what i am thinking, the stance, wheel and tires.

This is not bad.

This is nice.

This just doesn't look right to me, but you know what they say about opinions.

I may just be a bit old school, but i still need to decide on brakes, suspension and steering.

8/12/2014 9:13 PM  #33

Nut'in worng with "old-skool"!! I like the Falcon when its slammed-to-the-ground......its one of a few cars that look really"bad" sitting really low!
6sal6
I usta have a 64 Sprint........let me take a look at that convertible again. WOW!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/12/2014 9:35 PM  #34

you can get away with 16" if you use 05-09 v6 caliper and rotors i did this on my 65 stang i even keep it 4 lug and have konig rewinds on them looks good MS has pics of what needs to happen to make that work.

as to keeping the 6 you can make a lot of power out if them and still get good MPG with a T5 setup. look at the aluminum cylinder head that is over there on fordsix guys are making 200+ horses at the wheels and still get 27+ MPG. there is a bunch of austalian guys there that have a ton of knowledge about the 6 cylinders.

8/13/2014 1:26 PM  #35

I like the height/stance on the black one and the convertible. 16s with the V6 parts is an idea, probably lighter than the KH brakes unless you spend for aftermarket alumunum caliper 'upgrades'. I think I'd spend the money on other stuff though if it's not going to be a race car - it sure doesn't need huge brakes at the weight. If I can ever talk the wife into letting me have another car I'd really like a '63 Falcon. Little envious over here...

I like those AR500s too. The classic torq thrust never looks bad either imho.

**Oh, and Magnum 500s wil probably never get old either.

Last edited by McStang (8/13/2014 1:40 PM)

(Pinto!)

8/13/2014 7:55 PM  #36

Here are some better photos of the new car, I am still trying figure out which way is the best bang for the buck on the brakes, why cant anything be simple.

8/13/2014 9:36 PM  #37

I like it, KAR.  I for one do appreciate something a bit different.  I used to build and drive (cross country more than once) 1932 Ford "B" engines with OHV conversions.  Want torque?  Try a 4" bore with 4.25 stroke.  Those things make the torque.  I  went 149.5 at El Mirage behind one...what a ride.

Go for it.  It's all about the fun factor.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/13/2014 9:49 PM  #38

i would do the mustang steve brakes. its cheaper for the cost of calipers on KH you can get rotors and calipers on the 05-09 mustangs and pads probably too. not to mention you dont have to change the spindles if you dont want to. im still using the 6 cylinder spindles on my car tho you will have to use the 4 lug hubs. as the 5 lug hubs have the bigger bearings. if it s just going to be a crusier then that should be plenty fine. you can even get a 4 lug 8" rear end out of 71-73 mavericks that use the same bolt pattern that you have now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.