FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2014 12:33 PM  #1

Fixed the intake manifold leak ! new ?

Steve's method for the intake manifold installation worked no more oil leak. BUT now i  have oil coming down profusely . Its a 1993 302 in a 32 5 window cpe. It does not appear to be coming out of the rear engine oil seal as there is no oil on the front side of the automatic flex plate.Its running down the front of the starter plate.I used an ultra violet light from Orielly and yellow glasse's Works well Could it be a cheap oil pan from the internet from you know where. I removed and reinstalled the oil pan with a premeium oil pan gasket from JEGS it has a metal core and is all one piece. I used RTV also but its pumping out like an oil well .What do you experts think ? I just don't want to pull the transmission if i don't have to

8/08/2014 3:11 PM  #2

Re: Fixed the intake manifold leak ! new ?

there is a rear oil gallery plug (like a freeze plug) that is often recommended that it get replaced with a threaded pipe plug.  Maybe that plug has let go?

8/08/2014 3:19 PM  #3

where abouts is it the rear gally plug ?

8/08/2014 3:24 PM  #4

mrputz1 wrote:

where abouts is it the rear gally plug ?

it's on the backside of the block, above the crank, between the flywheel/flexplate and the block.

8/08/2014 3:29 PM  #5

I just pulled up a picture of the rear of the block. The large freeze plug is for the cam shaft and it appears that there is two other plugs one on each side of that plug one has a feed for the rear main. I guess i am going to have to pull the trans DANG IT to inspect it 

8/08/2014 3:31 PM  #6

FYI this engine was a long block from an engine rebuilder .Perhaps they left it out .

8/08/2014 4:31 PM  #7

mrputz1 wrote:

FYI this engine was a long block from an engine rebuilder .Perhaps they left it out .

The back oil galley or the mainseal are the only two places that it could be leaking between the engine and the trans, unless it is leaking out of the back of the intake and running down the backside.

8/08/2014 4:37 PM  #8

If the oil galley plug was out, the back of the flywheel would be covered. Positive its not the valve cover?
Take car to car wash, clean engine to have fresh look at oil leak
Howard

8/08/2014 8:02 PM  #9

mrputz1 wrote:

Steve's method for the intake manifold installation worked no more oil leak. BUT now i  have oil coming down profusely . Its a 1993 302 in a 32 5 window cpe. It does not appear to be coming out of the rear engine oil seal as there is no oil on the front side of the automatic flex plate.Its running down the front of the starter plate.I used an ultra violet light from Orielly and yellow glasse's Works well Could it be a cheap oil pan from the internet from you know where. I removed and reinstalled the oil pan with a premeium oil pan gasket from JEGS it has a metal core and is all one piece. I used RTV also but its pumping out like an oil well .What do you experts think ? I just don't want to pull the transmission if i don't have to

So what you are saying is that the leak is gone but it's been replaced with a gusher.  Are you positive it's not coming from the back of the intake manifold that you just reset?  First rule of troubleshooting....always check the last think you touched, first.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/08/2014 10:04 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

mrputz1 wrote:

So what you are saying is that the leak is gone but it's been replaced with a gusher.  Are you positive it's not coming from the back of the intake manifold that you just reset?  First rule of troubleshooting....always check the last think you touched, first.

BB

Absolutely!

8/11/2014 2:06 PM  #11

Mystery solved . Not the intake. Not the valve covers. not the 1/4 pipe plugs .not the cam shaft insert.
The rear engine oil seal decided it wasn't any good just when the rest of it got fixed. Pulled the tranny all i had to do was just touch the seal on the bottom and oil started running out. Lesson when you buy a short or long block put new seals in, the rebuilders use junk. 2 1/2 hours the 32 coupe with a 302 in it is very tight to work on.

8/11/2014 4:40 PM  #12

Most choices nowadays are either Victor Reinz or Felpro for gaskets, maybe mr gasket. If a rebuilder is using something cheaper than that, they gotta be using some real low dollar stuff. Perhaps they just didn't install it properly.

Last edited by MachTJ (8/11/2014 4:42 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.