FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2014 2:44 PM  #1

65 Convertible update

I have been chipping away as time has permited and I have about everything I feel I need unbolted to get it to the painter who allready has the rest of the body parts. I am in the process of tilting the car on its side with help form jkodzki's tilter design, I had been asking the who, what when, where and how about it, he has been a great resource!
 I just thought I would post some pictures as I know I enjoy looking at others progress, and other do to. The car is mid tild (about 30 degrees) and I am waiting for my brother in law to help me the rest of the way. More information about it I posted on the how-to like about jkordzkis tilter.

I have a new inner fender apron on hand ready to go in, my body guy/painter has agreed to install it.

Rear seat area, of what I believe are the original floors, I went through and brushed on Ospho anywhere there was any superficial rust, still have to grind and clean them up and paint.

Front pans, again which I believe are original. I remember the PO of the car said he was offered $1000 for this steering wheel, not sure how much truth there was to that, buuttttt...

Lastly the trunk area, where about 3 differant colors can be seen, hahaha! And of course the original color being on the back of the back seat, which is my intention to restore the car to, Silver Smoke Grey.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

8/08/2014 3:08 PM  #2

Re: 65 Convertible update

Links are no good, devoveno.  Can't even copy them to paste into a browser.

8/08/2014 4:38 PM  #3

boomyal wrote:

Links are no good, devoveno.  Can't even copy them to paste into a browser.

OK thanks, I will try again. Maybe a Mac thing- I copied and pasted them?
 Try this.

8/09/2014 3:53 AM  #4

Looks like original sheet metal to me, and wimbleton white with blue interior nice piece to start with.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/09/2014 9:04 AM  #5

bulletbirdman wrote:

Looks like original sheet metal to me, and wimbleton white with blue interior nice piece to start with.

Yeah the benefit of a California kept car, very little rust so I got that going for me. Actually, tough to tell but its not Wimbelton White, but Silver Smoke Grey (K code paint). I believe the interior was a cringle black.
Alas, once my brother in law arrived, the two of us were able to tile it up no problem!

8/09/2014 9:41 AM  #6

I love the rig! good idea. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/09/2014 9:41 AM  #7

Sweet project. What are your plans for it?

8/09/2014 1:58 PM  #8

My (future) paint and body guy recommeded removing and filling the holes where the little chromey pieces are attached to the lower front of the rear quarters.  The little fake scoop chrome pieces. He sez do that and then(if I want to) attach new ones with RTV of glue from the outside. He sez the holes are a perfect place for water to settle and start rusting the quarters. I may do that because they are such a pain in the "bo-hunkus" to get to the nutz. They tarnish and get ugly pretty quick and rplacing from the outside would be much simpler.
Just a thought
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/09/2014 2:26 PM  #9

Is it a K code?  (Based on your answer about the color I got curious.)  If so I'm even more curious as I thought all K codes had disc brakes in front?

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

8/09/2014 5:58 PM  #10

K code engine had nothgin to do with brakes.  On my 66, the K paint code is nightmist blue.

Just a suggestion on that rusted inner fender under the battery.  Just cut out the part that is rusted.  Butt weld the new piece, cut to fit the removed piece.  You will never see any seams (you could even finish grind them to be invisible) as it is under the battery tray.  Then you retain ALL of the original spot welds and the fender mounting slots.  The original inner fender panel is alot better than any aftermarket or even NOS Ford panel.

I hate turning a body guy loose cutting/welding on anything that shows unless you are absolutely sure how it is going to turn out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/10/2014 10:59 AM  #11

Well lets see, my plans for it Henry J are to do a resto mod. When I bought it the PO told me "yeah it is all original", after chasing down and running the codes on the engine it turns out the engine that came in it is a 302 out of a 68 mustang. SO I had been playing with the idea of building a 347 stroker motor as the motor was in is disrepair when I got it, heads were off a lot of rust on the deck, in the cylinder walls, pistons so to re-use it will need a rebuild. Along with this I would like to put in a T-5 manual tranny, talked to Modern driveline, they said depending on the 347 build it should be ok...
6Sally6, I have still yet to remove those peices and they do seem like a PITA to remove, along with the long chrome peice just behind where the roof folds down into, just about every screw it tried to remove was rusted and screw heads stripped out. I might think about what you mentioned.
  JS Harvey, this car is not a "K" code as far as the motor is concerned, it was originally an A code 289 4V. The K code I referenced was the paint code for 65 mustangs, K code paint was Silver Smoke grey.
   MS, I had though about just replacing the needed areas on the Inner fender Apron, still considering it. The hole that the wiring for the light goes through is also rusted and no londer round, so I would need to replace that far up? Also, I am not sure if the existing inner fender apron is "original" or not, I am leaning towards not. The welds seem to be Gold in color (coppper?) and the rest of the outside of the fender wells is coated with the black line-x like material, but the fender/wheel side of the  fender apron is bare and does not have this coating, make me think somebody had replaced this in the past?

8/10/2014 3:28 PM  #12

devovino wrote:

bulletbirdman wrote:

Yeah the benefit of a California kept car, very little rust so I got that going for me. Actually, tough to tell but its not Wimbelton White, but Silver Smoke Grey (K code paint). I believe the interior was a cringle black.
Alas, once my brother in law arrived, the two of us were able to tile it up no problem!

nice job on the tilter!  How are you going to prepare and finish the undersides?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

8/10/2014 5:41 PM  #13

jkordzi wrote:

devovino wrote:

bulletbirdman wrote:

nice job on the tilter!  How are you going to prepare and finish the undersides?

Well, I have been pre-spraying the underside with a heavy concentration of degreaser, I will pressure wash it ( hopefully I can find a heated pressure washer) then wire wheel in areas that need it. Hit any rust with OSPHO, then use AG 111 I bought a little while back, a chassis kit from Master Series that I was going to use on the floors and trunk, but I will use it on the underside much like you did. 

8/18/2014 10:38 AM  #14

devovino wrote:

jkordzi wrote:

devovino wrote:

Well, I have been pre-spraying the underside with a heavy concentration of degreaser, I will pressure wash it ( hopefully I can find a heated pressure washer) then wire wheel in areas that need it. Hit any rust with OSPHO, then use AG 111 I bought a little while back, a chassis kit from Master Series that I was going to use on the floors and trunk, but I will use it on the underside much like you did. 

Just an update on the finished product. I ended up not going with Master Series AG 111 but instead using an undrcoating. There was just sooooo much existing undercoating on the underside it allready, I opted to clean it up, do some grinding and just re-apply. I guess there is positives and negatives to both..? It is not the pretiest, but it is afterall the underside of the car. I will finish detailing it by removing the front and rear suspension when I get it back from paint.

8/18/2014 4:59 PM  #15

Nice job!  It'll probably last forever.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.