FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2014 10:03 PM  #1

New springs in

Got the new rear springs, shackles, and bushings in today.  Gotta love those Scott Drake GT dual exhaust shackles.  Makes shackle installation a breeze with the duals in place.

This week's project is the front end rebuild.  I'm keeping the UPS driver in shape.

8/11/2014 8:06 AM  #2

Re: New springs in

Very Nice... looks good!

8/11/2014 9:25 AM  #3

TimC wrote:

Got the new rear springs, shackles, and bushings in today.  Gotta love those Scott Drake GT dual exhaust shackles.  Makes shackle installation a breeze with the duals in place.

This week's project is the front end rebuild.  I'm keeping the UPS driver in shape.

Can you give us some more info. on the springs? Who are they made by, how many leafs, eye configuration? Where is the top of the tire in relation to the finder opening, hard to see with the shading in pic. Looks good.

8/11/2014 10:25 AM  #4

shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit.

That thing cleaned up nice !

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2014 10:33 AM  #5

DBROWN wrote:

Can you give us some more info. on the springs? Who are they made by, how many leafs, eye configuration? Where is the top of the tire in relation to the finder opening, hard to see with the shading in pic. Looks good.

Mustangs Plus 4.5 leaf mideyes.  I only drove it about 5 miles after the install, but with 3 of us in it, the ride was smooth, no bottoming, and, finally, no squeaks.  I expect it will settle some.  I'll give you a wheel center to quarter lip measurment in a week or so.  It's back up on the stands with the front suspension half apart now.

8/11/2014 10:38 AM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit, shouldakeptit.

That thing cleaned up nice !

Well, at least I have no regrets!

8/11/2014 12:46 PM  #7

I did the same this week end. very happy!
firmed up the ride, no sqeaks and no bottoming. but since the ride firmed up...have some rattles i have to track down now.

4.5 leaf Grab-a-Track mid eye.

prior distance ground to wheel well opening (on broken down oem springs): 25"
center of hup to wheel well opening: 13"
+ explorer axle's 1/2" drop
new KYB g3 shocks

after the g-a-t springs: 25.25"
center of hup to wheel well opening: 13.25"
+ explorer axle's 1/2" drop
new KYB g3 shocks

8/11/2014 7:06 PM  #8

That measurement always needs to be expressed as center of wheel to fender lip.  If you measure from the ground, then the tire size enters the equation.  Center of wheel to fender lip takes the tire size totally out of the equation, so you can compare car-to-car, even if they have different sized tires.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/12/2014 6:05 PM  #9

Oh no! Not the Dubs! Ahhhhh!
Run Apaloosa run! ( Name of a movie in the theater I worked in in the 70s) Crazy wild Mustang that wouldn't listen-kinda like my cars!

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (8/12/2014 6:08 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.