FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2014 1:33 AM  #1

edelbrock e street heads

Hi Guys, new to the forum
65 fastback 289

I have just fitted Edelbrock E Street heads and a comp cam XE268 camshaft, Hydraulic flat tappet lifters, hardened pushrods and roller rockers. Question is do I need to remove the inner valve spring for cam break in, these springs are not mega strong, seat pressure of 120lbs and open pressure of 310lbs.

If I need to remove them any suggestions on how to do it with the heads installed? is there a special tool?
Thanks in advance
Graham

8/11/2014 6:09 AM  #2

Re: edelbrock e street heads

Follow the CompCams break-in procedure to the letter.  It is explained in the literature that came with the cam.  If you have questions...call Comp.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/11/2014 10:12 AM  #3

Like Bullet said...  But I think that mostly applies to really aggressive cams like the racers use.  Yes, it would be BETTER to break the cam in with lighter springs, but I do not know ANYONE that has done it with a small cam like that.

As for that special tool to remove the valve springs, I have a 3' long piece of 1/4" nylon rope that I use if I need to remove a valve spring on the car.  I remove the spark plug, with the piston at BDC insert all but that big KNOT I tied in one end, then rotoate the engine BY HAND until the rope holds the valves shut.  Then a lever type spring compressor will get the valve retainer off easily.  Of course, some like to use compressed air, but with my luck, I would somehow move the valve and release the compression, dropping the valve.  I like the rope because there is pretty much nothing that can go wrong.

Be sure to use the proper zinc additive with your oil or you will wipe that cam out pretty quick.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2014 4:33 PM  #4

Yep! Do the Zinc stuff........prime that carb really good.......I like to spray into carb with starting fluid to get the engine to fire right away...prime engine oil system until oil is coming out of pushrods freely.....advance ignition timing about 10-12 degrees and leave the distrib loose to be able to turn it while cranking if needed.......have exstinguisher handy.......good gas in tank...water in radiator and have hose charged and ready...make sure timing is not 180 out(don't ask!)....crank it OUTSIDE of garage.....don't just grind and grind with the starter.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/11/2014 7:12 PM  #5

That OUTSIDE the garage advice is very good advice.  The most likely time for an engine to catch fire is at first start after a rebuild.  Don't ask me how I know that...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2014 11:43 PM  #6

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice, yep I've got everything ready, fire extinquisher, water, oil, tools, beer etc etc. Comp Cams say the springs on the Edelbrock E streets are fine for break in with that cam(inner spring is a dampner), the reason I asked the question is that with spark plugs removed and the rockers not installed the engine turns by hand relatively easy, with the rockers installed (3/8" 1.6 rollers) it takes 60ftlb with a torque wrench to turn the engine over, still with plugs out, just seems high to me but I havent done this with a 289 before, everthing else is as was, only changed heads, cam, lifters, timming gears and chain, pushrods, rockers, all that went in fine.
Just a bit concerned that once the plugs are in it will be over 80ftlbs which really seems high, havent tried with plugs in as I'm concerned if I keep turning it over I'll wipe all the cam lube off the cam.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Graham

8/12/2014 9:26 PM  #7

Rope seal causes a lot of drag. Standerd size rings too. Don't worry......a good starter and strong battery can really spin'em!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.