FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2014 4:14 PM  #1

I thought Currie was the rear end pros...Stumped them

I ordered a refurbished 8" pinion yoke from them.  It came with a brand new seal sleeve that is pressed onto the the end of the yoke.   This sleeve is tapered at the end so it cannot be pushed too far up the yoke.  However, it also sticks past the end of the yoke a few thousands of an inch.   Now, I know I am not a rear end guru, or anything close to an expert, but just looking at this it is plain to see that the outer bearing rides on the end of that yoke.   That now means.....that the entire pinion, bearing, crush sleeve, bearing, yoke    the whole pressure is on that sleeve, not the end of the yoke.

I called Currie and asked them about that.   They said THEY designed those bearing sleeves for the 8" yoke, and that it shouldnt be a problem.   I told them, you do realize all the pressure is on the edge of that sleeve, and will be unless it is shimmed or the end of that sleeve is machined off, right?  So, what would be the point of running a solid pinion spacer if its just going to ride on that tiny edge and not the whole surface area of the machined end of the yoke as it was designed to do?    I said maybe you should let someone higher up know about that, because that seems to be a serious design flaw.   Mumbled something incoherent and hung up on me.

Like I said, not a rear end expert, or such, but it seems to me that sleeve should be flush with the end of the yoke.    Poor design.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/11/2014 4:34 PM  #2

Re: I thought Currie was the rear end pros...Stumped them

Sounds like its just a redi sleeve or speedi sleeve. Perhaps whoever put it on was lazy and did not press it on all the way. or used the wrong one that was too long. Yours should be able to be pressed on further unless it is too long or they used a sealer underneath it when they installed it initially. Any competent machine shop can install them easily. all they need to know is the O.D. of the area of the yoke and how long it has to be incase there are more than one choice for length. Speedi or Redi sleeves are a very common way of repairing any damaged area that a seal rides on. Crankshafts, harmonic dampners , driveshafts, pinion yokes, axles can all be repaired with those sleeves.

8/11/2014 7:10 PM  #3

Any company that hangs up on a customer immediately gets crossed off my list.  Would encourage others to do the same.

That hang up responses sounds like the same treatment I got at Master Craft.  When I tried to discuss a problem with the owner, he would turn around and walk off like a four year old kid.

Sounds like it was not pressed on all the way to me as well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2014 8:00 PM  #4

Here are the pictures.  On the left, the billet steel one that another company sent me when I ordered a refurbished yoke. (it does not have a seal protector, and it fits the pinion very loose)  In the middle the one Currie sent me, and on the right the original that had rust on the seal area and a destroyed seal guard.  

Last edited by Greg B (8/11/2014 8:14 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/11/2014 8:08 PM  #5

one more picture.  I added this one to show that edge of the speedy sleeve isnt as wide as it looks in the closeup.  Very small area for the bearing to ride on.   That would also mean that space between the end of that sleeve and the pinion surface would be a slightly open area.

Last edited by Greg B (8/11/2014 8:18 PM)

8/11/2014 8:11 PM  #6

Second picture shows how this speedy sleeve sticks out.  It is my belief this entire surface area is for the outer bearing to ride on keeping up the preload.  The area of the bearing is actually wider than the surface area of the yoke.

Sorry, the upload photo function doesnt seem to be working in edit mode.

Last edited by Greg B (8/11/2014 8:14 PM)

8/11/2014 9:38 PM  #7

Do you think that when you tighten the nut to compress the crush sleeve, or the solid sleeve, it would compress the end of that sleeve?  Since it is already inside and past the seal, would it hurt anything if the nut did the final compression?  The the bearing would be pushed solid against the shoulder, with the sleeve sandwiched in-between
Harmonic balancer repair sleeves are the same way.  When you tighten the balancer retainer nut, the sleeve will get pushed all the way on if it did not get installed all the way previously.

Would like to hear from ultrastang on this as well.  He has alot of rear end assembly experience.

Last edited by MustangSteve (8/11/2014 9:40 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2014 9:57 PM  #8

Other sleeves Ive looked at have an a lip that is on the bottom and is shorter than the end of the yoke.  But you cant seem to do that on an 8" yoke because of the way the seal protector is coned.   

I was in the mode of thinking that is an awful small lip for that bearing to ride on.  And it doesnt bottom out, it theoretically could be pushed farther down.  I was also wondering if it would put all the pressure on the outer edge of the bearing, instead of across its entire face, maybe leading to it cracking?  

Last edited by Greg B (8/11/2014 10:03 PM)

8/12/2014 7:27 PM  #9

If you tightened everything up against the speedi sleeve it can go one of two ways, Either it will press on the remainder of the way and your bearing will be against the yoke, or it will deform and crush awkwardly giving a wierd preload. My advice is try to get it pressed on all the way before installing it, if it gets wrecked trying to do it, just replace the sleeve and try again. Peace of mind knowing everything is where it should be is worth alot in my book.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.