FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2014 12:24 PM  #1

Electrical issue with charging

OK, electrical gurus, figure this one out...

66 Mustang 427 stroker v8
Original type alternator but supposedly 80 amp
Optima battery that still started the car just fine.
Has Auto Meter dash VOLTAGE gauge that reads exactly same as my good voltage tester at the battery, so I trust it.

When I had fuel pump, lights and AC on at the same time, the voltage on my dash gauge would show 11 volts at idle and maybe get to 12 at cruise.  If I hit the power window limit switch, it went to 10 volts.

Replaced voltage regulator with a new one I had in the drawer, and reworked some suspect wiring around the regulator.  Resulted in no change.

Removed alternator.  Had it checked at OReillys.  Machine showed it was GOOD, but does not give info on HOW GOOD.  It just said it PASSED.

Reinstalled alternator and checked resistance on all three wires from the alternator to the solenoid and the voltage regulator.  Leas than 0.05 ohms over the length of each.  Cleaned all plug connections just to be sure.

Started and drove car.  Same results as before.

Took Optima battery to OReilly and they checked it.  BAD (even though it started the car, but it WAS getting only 11.7 volts out)

Put new (free replacement for three years) Optima in the car.  Now it drives down the highway at about 12.5 volts and sits at 12 volts at idle.  According to Don's results as tested on his 66 Mustang, the voltage while running should be 14+.  Mine does not get there.

I am thinking I need a new alternator.  What do you think?

Now the second part...  I had purchased a new 3G alternator for 93 Taurus and one of the conversion wiring harnesses that has the big-honkin'-you'd-think-I-had-a-huge-stereo-in-it, overkill power lead and huge fuse.  Went to install it and my 289 hipo pulley will not clear the alternator case unless I put a thick washer between the pulley and bearing.  Of course, then there is not enough shaft left to get the nut on completely.  Question... Is it really worth it to go through all the effort to install the new 3G or will the 80 amp version of the old style ever be capable of doing the job?  OK, if you are not asleep by now, let me know what you think and how your 3g conversion worked out if you have one.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/15/2014 12:44 PM  #2

Re: Electrical issue with charging

If thats all the volt meter says thats all your getting...I have used Powermaster one wire's on my last two Mustangs both Idle at 14.3...My 67 has a 160 amp and my 70 Mach has a 100 amp....jj 

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/15/2014 2:26 PM  #3

do you have underdrive pullies?

I did the 3g on my fox and noticed a huge difference at idle and when driving.  Used alt from 94 or 95 mustang, 130 amp.  had to grind some metal away on the bracket to make it fit.  It is the smaller case model.  Used a megafuse and wired it directly to the battery.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

8/15/2014 2:43 PM  #4

I used the same alt as Mark, I think it was his original post that suggested that one to me. There are 3 or 6 runs from the outside of the Alt to the center. I had to grind them down a little for my pulley to fit on. That said, I think 80 amps is enough for your situation. If it worked for the 351 it should work for the 427. The voltage should rise some for when the key is on to when the engine is running. This will tell you it is charging. Did you try putting the original regulator on after changing the battery?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/15/2014 3:03 PM  #5

Heres a close up of
G install a few years ago.   I took the serpentine pulley off and installed a V pulley.    I had to extend the lower alternator bracket also. Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (8/15/2014 3:04 PM)

8/15/2014 3:12 PM  #6

If I recall correctly, the hipo alternator pulley is an underdrive piece.  I had one on mine for a while and I had to run the engine up to about 3000 rpm to get the alternator to start charging (although this was with a single wire Delco alternator) and at idle it did not spin fast enough to charge well.  

Have you successfully used this alternator, pulley and regulator together and gotten the battery to charge in the past?  If not I would suggest trying a smaller pulley on the alternator.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

8/15/2014 3:43 PM  #7

I did not think about grinding the alternator to give pulley clearance. Might try that. 

I drove the car to Tennessee and back last year with that alternator and pulley, and the EFI pump screaming all the way.  Now I have the pump issue fixed.  The car has not given me any problems starting or running the ac or anything.  It just reads low voltage.  (AND I was experiencing that fuel pump flame-out on high speed acceleration, which could be voltage induced.  But it did not flame out in Tennessee).

First thought is just to leave it alone and see how it does, but the BASH THRASH is about to get in full swing so I need to get it right.
I am thinking about running a large gauge wire direct from alt to starter solenoid, in parallel with the existing wire to see if maybe the plug in the harness is actually limiting the current that gets through it.  It shows less than 1 ohm resistance through the plug, but that is with miniscule current only from the voltmeter itself.

I had some reward points at Autozone so I picked up a lifetime warranty alternator for free,even covering the core charge.  I am going to install it tomorrow and see if anything changes.

8/15/2014 3:53 PM  #8

John Ha wrote:

If I recall correctly, the hipo alternator pulley is an underdrive piece...

That is correct.

John Ha wrote:

...Have you successfully used this alternator, pulley and regulator together and gotten the battery to charge in the past?  If not I would suggest trying a smaller pulley on the alternator.

That would be the first thing I would try too...

8/15/2014 5:18 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Put new (free replacement for three years) Optima in the car.  Now it drives down the highway at about 12.5 volts and sits at 12 volts at idle.  According to Don's results as tested on his 66 Mustang, the voltage while running should be 14+.  Mine does not get there.

You are getting more voltage now only because the battery is in a better state of charge having just been replaced.  In a few days, you'll be back down in the 11s unless the problem is resolved.

The car should be charging at a minimum of 13.8 volts with a reasonably charged battery.  I think your alternator is weak.  Try unplugging the regulator, and jump the A and F terminals at the plug.  If the voltage jumps up, the alternator is good and there is a wiring or regulator problem.  If not, either the alternator or the heavy cable from the alternator is bad.

John

8/15/2014 6:05 PM  #10

The 3-G conversion is certainly worth the effort. I have a red top Optima, about six or seven years old, power windows, door locks and a whole lot of extra electrical goodies including Classic Auto cold air.
 I just got back from a 2115 Mile round trip to Lincoln NE and even with the air, headlamps and wipers on my voltage never goes below 14.5, even at idle. My 3-G is a 130 amp Hitachi unit.
 My Battery is in the trunk and I used welding cable for the charging and starter cables.
 Many trunk mounted battery set ups fail because of too small electrical cables.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/15/2014 6:34 PM  #11

Unless you are going to install a 427 inch stereo and speakers you don't need no stinking 160 amp alternator.  But...if I read your post correctly you still have an alternator with the plug-in battery wire.  If that's the case you may want to scrap that or get one with a lug on the back of the case that take a 1/4" eyelet.  My alternator rebuilder rebuilt mine with the lug and now the only thing that plugs in is the voltage sensing and idiot light leads.  He told me those plug-in battery leads were nothing but trouble and had been know to get so hot...due to poor connection and high resistance....that they had been know to start fires.

Checking resistance on your high current connections is tricky as the very low voltage of the ohm meter will pass just fine but when you pour the juice to it it gets hot and the hotter it gets, the more resistance it creates.  Which is why dirty battery cable will: "Gee the lights come on just fine but it just goes "click" when I hit the starter."

Also...might just be that your old alternator needs new brushes.  If the exitation voltage is low  due to crappy brushes the output will not be up to snuff.  Changing the brushes is pretty easy.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/15/2014 9:21 PM  #12

Plug on the big lead is suspect.  Will add a parallel wire to the big alt wire and see what happens.  My alternator does have bolt-on wire connections on the big wire at least.  Thought about using the mega fuse and mega wire since it is here, but I cannot imagine that huge wire EVER bring required for anything on my car.

If the parallel wire does not cure it, I will put the new alternator on.  It came with a small pulley, but I will start out with the hipo pulley.  That way if it works I don't have to take it off to try changing the pulley.

8/15/2014 9:58 PM  #13

Instead of shimming your pulley out, why don't you shim the brackets that hold the alternator. That is how I got mine to move forwards. I did have to weld a dog leg for the lower mount to make it around the slightly larger 3G.

8/16/2014 7:18 AM  #14

MS - from what I can gather, this setup worked last year,  I'd suspect a degraded condition with a connection somewhere in the main wiring system.  Suggest starting with a check of your ground connections, even a physically tight joint can have a high resistance under load.  Following BB's suggestions, you need to check for voltage drop starting from the battery.  Check voltage directly on the battery post, and then the post to connector using the voltmeter.
Male-female connectors can degarde over time, even if they haven't been disconnected.  If possible check them from the backside.  That connector you mention with 1-ohm resistance with no load may very well get worse with a higher load on it.  Try all your troubleshooting with no load and with a load applied on the circuit, like running the windows up and down.  This will test the connection joints.
I'm not sure if you have any in-line wire crimp connections, or crimp ring terminals installed but do not overlook that they can degrade over time also.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/16/2014 8:12 AM  #15

I had similar issues on a 78 E150 I used to have. A couple of things cropped up as it was not in great shape like I'm sure your mustang is. First my printed circuit on the back of my dash was kind of wonky. Where everything would not light up, or would intermittantly. 2nd thing I did was run a ground wire to the voltage regulator. Basically just put some eyelets on a 12 gauge wire and attached one end to a mounting bolt of the regulator and the other to the negative on the battery. Fixed all my issues, and yes when a vehicle is running it should have around 14- 14.4 volts, if its a diesel, high 13 volts is acceptable at idle.

8/16/2014 10:52 AM  #16

I would think you would want to figure your total load in amps DC, The voltage is not the main issue , If you use more amps than the altenator can supply then your battery makes it up , and as it drains down voltage will drop.

If its worth doing do it right !

8/16/2014 12:56 PM  #17

KM wrote:

I would think you would want to figure your total load in amps DC, The voltage is not the main issue , If you use more amps than the altenator can supply then your battery makes it up , and as it drains down voltage will drop.

Since KM brought it up how do you measure dc amps?  Will my clamp on amp meter read DC amps?  I am very familiar with OHMS law and its application in AC? does it apply to dc in the same way?

Last edited by terry (8/16/2014 8:56 PM)

8/16/2014 8:34 PM  #18

People are generally interested in higher output alternators but, whether the alternator is a high output unit or the alternator the lower output OEM unit, few give little, if any, thought to alternator pulley size or what actual impact changing the size of the pulley (s) does to the alternator --most particularly for a high output alternator.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/power_pulleys.html

8/16/2014 8:48 PM  #19

Mochaman wrote:

Instead of shimming your pulley out, why don't you shim the brackets that hold the alternator. That is how I got mine to move forwards. I did have to weld a dog leg for the lower mount to make it around the slightly larger 3G.

That would not cure the problem of the pulley hitting the front of the alternator.

8/16/2014 8:57 PM  #20

ultrastang wrote:

People are generally interested in higher output alternators but, whether the alternator is a high output unit or the alternator the lower output OEM unit, few give little, if any, thought to alternator pulley size or what actual impact changing the size of the pulley (s) does to the alternator --most particularly for a high output alternator.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/power_pulleys.html

I do have an undersized crank pulley and an oversized alternator pulley.  Ratio is like 1.5:1

Even on the highway where I am cruising 70 MPH at 2,000 RPM, the alternator is turning 3,000 RPM.  Problem still exists at highway speed.  Thing is... that setup has been working for 20 years like that.  I don't think the EFI system and Fuel Pump would cause that issue especially at low draw cruising.  Would it?

I will try that Autozone alternator with the small pulley on it and see what happens.

8/16/2014 10:08 PM  #21

You mentioned that alternator has worked for 20 years. That may be part of the problem now. ...(song time) The old alternator just ain't what she used to be, not what she used to be...

Alternators, degrade over time --brushes, windings, bearings, diodes. Before the latest engine install, the alternator didn't have to contend with the electrical component loads of the aditional items that have since been added. It may be the alternator was marginal, prior to the latest changes. Now that it's being taxed more, maybe it's just not up to par anymore.

The first dealings I ever had with the Ford 3G alternator was when I put one in my '90 Mustang GT around 1998/'99. More recently, I put one in my '69 F-100 because my stock 60 amp alternator was ailing and just not cutting it anymore.

I got the 130 amp 3G alternator, main charge lead, wiring harness and 175 amp mega fuse from the wrecking yard for around $25.00 bucks. I took the alternator to O'Reilly ' s and it tested good but, it had an obvious bearing problem.

I brought the alternator home, took it apart, bead blasted the housing, primed it and painted it with cast aluminum paint, put the new bearings on and put it all back together. When I went to swap the serpentine pulley for the V - groove pulley, from my truck's 60 amp alternator, the V - pulley bottomed out on the front of the alternator case. I took a very thin washer and placed it on the shaft between the case and the back of the pulley. This gave me the clearance I needed.

However, the (metric) nut (on my 3G) does not screw all the way down on the shaft threads but, I've been running it for a while now and the nut/pulley haven't come loose.

The only problem I had, at first, was the (new) belt slipping when first starting the truck up from the added resistance of the higher amp alternator. It seems to be under control now that the belt is 'broken in' but, in the event the squealing comes back, I picked up a double - groove pulley to swap in place of the single - groove pulley, where two belts can be put on it.

8/17/2014 12:30 PM  #22

terry - the easiest way to check DC current is w/a DC clamp-on ammeter.  Check the Fluke Instrument website, although I'm sure there are other brands available.  Ohm's law formula applies to DC as it does w/AC (although AC needs to consider the voltage and current not being in phase).  If you can measure the DC resistance (ohms), using the voltage value of your system (not 12v, but the measured voltage of your system, somewhere is the 13.6-14.3v range) you can determine the current.

MS - regarding your alternator's output, I suggest finding a rebuilder, they should have a machine to put a load on the alternator and tell how much current it can supply.  They should be able to tell you what RPM the test was run at as this is typically a single speed test.  You could get the drive motor's RPM off the motor nameplate, measure the pulley and go from there.  They can also test the regulator, and the combination of the two.
From the asscessories you've listed, 80 amps should be more than adequate.
As other posts have noted, if your alternator and regulator checks out, I'd suspect a connection problem.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/18/2014 6:55 PM  #23

Narrowing down the possibilities...
Today I made a heavy duty 10 ga wire with soldered end connectors and bolted one end to the alternator and the other to the battery.  Basically it just parallels the large wire from the alternator going to the same place (the one with the suspect connector in the middle of the wire).

Made no difference.  That tells me the suspect plug is no longer suspect.

Even though the alternator was tested and PASSED at OReillys (no quantitative data, just pass or fail) I am going to go ahead and install the new alternator with the small pulley if it will work with my belt.  If it won't then the hipo pulley goes back on.

When I said it had been this way for 20 years, I meant the configuration of alternator and hipo pulley had been on there, not the same alternator.  This one is a polished one from ebay.  It says 100 amps now that I looked up the purchase.  The alternator was brand new about 3 years ago.

8/18/2014 7:33 PM  #24

Did you try a ground wire to the regulator. If it grounds through the case like I think it does, the body ground could be less than what it used to be.

8/19/2014 4:31 AM  #25

terry wrote:

KM wrote:

Since KM brought it up how do you measure dc amps?  Will my clamp on amp meter read DC amps?  I am very familiar with OHMS law and its application in AC? does it apply to dc in the same way?

Terry, Ohms law was written for D.C., A regular clamp on will not read DC amperage, but you can buy them that will read both, or if you have a fluke 87 they have clamp attachments that plug in that will work on both AC and DC.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.