FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2014 6:08 PM  #1

AOD not shifting into 3rd but drops out.

Newly rebuilt AOD sitting behind a 347. Just took the car out for the first test drive. Car has strond acceleration until it tries to shift into 3rd or overdrive. Not sure which. I don't have a tach yet so I can't watch the numbers. Into drops completely out of gear until I shift to second then back into drive. I picks up again until it drops out again.

I did run the TV dropdown cable adjustment where it is 30psi in neutral with the adjustment tool in place,then drops to zero when you pull the adjuster out.

Any suggestions.

8/17/2014 6:15 PM  #2

Re: AOD not shifting into 3rd but drops out.

I bet whoever rebuilt it missed getting the pin of the od servo on the od band.   Its a very common mistake.   It kind of slides to the side and if you dont double check the alignment with a scredriver before putting the servo in, it can easily get in behind it.   That is a good place to start looking.

Last edited by Greg B (8/17/2014 6:22 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/17/2014 6:22 PM  #3

Is this internal or external that I would see? If I drop the bottom plate would I be able to see it?

8/17/2014 6:27 PM  #4

To get to the overdrive servo, you have to drop the pan and the valve body.   Then you can access the OD servo.   If its a misaligned od band, it can be fixed without dropping the  whole transmission.  But that is still a lot of messy work to get to that.    I would eliminate everything else beforehand. 

You can do an internet search about replacing the OD band and probably find a thread about this problem I am describing. 

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/17/2014 8:29 PM  #5

Thanks Greg B. I wanted to make sure this isn't something I did when I switched out the shifting lever and had to drop the pan.
I plan on contacting the transmission shop that did the rebuild.

Last edited by Mochaman (8/17/2014 9:09 PM)

8/18/2014 6:30 PM  #6

I had that issue last week putting the 4R70W  back together. Drop the pan and valve body. Pull the OD servo piston out and look down the bore. You can see the seat for the piston pin on the end of the OD band. Next to the servo piston bore is a 1 inch square hole where you can see the band. I took a long skinny screwdriver and pushed on the seat to tighten the band. I wedged another screwdriver against the band through the 1 inch hole to hold the band in place. I removed the first screwdriver and reinserted the OD servo piston, seated it and installed the snap ring. I then pulled out the second screwdriver. Since the band didn't spring back, I figured I had gotten the piston seated. Since I was still building it up, I was able to confirm it was seated by looking inside the transmission with a light, but of course, you can't do that. Good luck.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/18/2014 7:27 PM  #7

My transmission is still under warrenty. I am going to trailer it into town. I talked with the shop and he thinks it is a pressure issue.
My friend thinks I need a Edelbrock TCI TV Cable Bracket to change the geometry.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376710
I will show this to the shop and let them determine what is needed. Lokar instructions didn't say anything about this bracket. It does say it needs to go in a specific hole in the TV bracket located at the AOD.
Which ever is the most expensive version, I am sure that will be the problem.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.