FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2014 9:19 AM  #1

Question on best way forward?

Car:
1968 Mustang Coupe 289/T-5 Swap/4 wheel drum w/booster

Hello all,
  Been a long time since I have posted (so long I had to re-register) and its time to make some more upgrades to the 68'.  I swapped my 68s C-4 auto to 5 speed and while I was swapping pedals I put in a brake booster.  The car is still 4 wheel drums and I think its time to switch to some disc up front (at a minimum).  I have looked at a bunch of different sites and packages.  I remember asking Steve when I bought the booster if it would work with disc and he definitly said yes so now I just need the rest of the stuff.  Am I correct in assuming this is still correct and it will work with a disc setup?  Anyone know where I can get a complete bolt on kit (front or front/rear depending on price) without the booster and master cylinder?  Both of those are working great and I just want to get the rest.  Thanks for checking out my post and I look forward to hearing from you.

Semper Fi,
Kris

8/18/2014 10:28 AM  #2

Re: Question on best way forward?

97Snake1668 wrote:

Car:
1968 Mustang Coupe 289/T-5 Swap/4 wheel drum w/booster

Hello all,
  Been a long time since I have posted (so long I had to re-register) and its time to make some more upgrades to the 68'.  I swapped my 68s C-4 auto to 5 speed and while I was swapping pedals I put in a brake booster.  The car is still 4 wheel drums and I think its time to switch to some disc up front (at a minimum).  I have looked at a bunch of different sites and packages.  I remember asking Steve when I bought the booster if it would work with disc and he definitly said yes so now I just need the rest of the stuff.  Am I correct in assuming this is still correct and it will work with a disc setup?  Anyone know where I can get a complete bolt on kit (front or front/rear depending on price) without the booster and master cylinder?  Both of those are working great and I just want to get the rest.  Thanks for checking out my post and I look forward to hearing from you.

Semper Fi,
Kris

I think you are in the right place Steve is the man you need to contact for what you need. Send him a pm and I'm sure you will be a happy Mustanger.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/18/2014 11:10 AM  #3

You will need a disc brake master cylinder and a proportioning valve, so plan on replacing everything from the booster on out, (not including the booster).

Email is steve@mustangsteve.com

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/18/2014 1:32 PM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

You will need a disc brake master cylinder and a proportioning valve, so plan on replacing everything from the booster on out, (not including the booster).

Email is steve@mustangsteve.com

So at least I dont have to remove/replace the booster again.  That was a PITA.  So Steve, ya got a kit for that?  Thanks all!

Semper Fi,
Kris

8/18/2014 1:41 PM  #5

I have Steve's 12.5" kit on the front of my 66 and it was a trivial install. I am not saying this because this is his board, but because it was one of the best kits I have ever used. Everything was there and I installed it in the same time it would have taken to change the shoes. I went with Ultrastang's SN95 rear disk setup so that I would have 4 wheel disk - Not necessary, but I wanted it. If I had my druther's, I would probably install Steve's cobra rear kit so that the rear disks are closer to the same size as the front and would look a little better through the wheels.

All the information you need is in this site's archive. You will need a MC and prop valve that is setup for the type of system you install drum/drum, disk/drum, disk/disk. My system was super touchy when I first installed it and I had to shorten the output shaft of my booster. Now it responds and stops like a new factory car.

BobN

8/18/2014 1:44 PM  #6

BobN wrote:

I have Steve's 12.5" kit on the front of my 66 and it was a trivial install. I am not saying this because this is his board, but because it was one of the best kits I have ever used. Everything was there and I installed it in the same time it would have taken to change the shoes. I went with Ultrastang's SN95 rear disk setup so that I would have 4 wheel disk - Not necessary, but I wanted it. If I had my druther's, I would probably install Steve's cobra rear kit so that the rear disks are closer to the same size as the front and would look a little better through the wheels.

All the information you need is in this site's archive. You will need a MC and prop valve that is setup for the type of system you install drum/drum, disk/drum, disk/disk. My system was super touchy when I first installed it and I had to shorten the output shaft of my booster. Now it responds and stops like a new factory car.

BobN

I looked for a kit on Steves site but didnt see one with all the rotors and such.  Guess I need to do some more digging. 

8/18/2014 2:55 PM  #7

I also have Steves GT kit on the front of my 66. I would definitely consider using it. With the exception of rotors and calipers everything you need is there with some very detailed and easy to follow directions (not to mention the man himself is readily available to answer questions). There is something to be said for using readily available FORD parts.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

8/18/2014 3:06 PM  #8

97Snake1668 wrote:

BobN wrote:

BobN

I looked for a kit on Steves site but didnt see one with all the rotors and such.  Guess I need to do some more digging. 

I got one of his prototype kits that had factory take-off parts including rotors. If you don't see one with rotors or calipers, remember that it is all factory stuff so you can get it at ANY junk yard or parts house, depending on your budget. That was the reason I bought the two kits that I did. I know that I can get 2010 front rotors and pads, or 1996 rear rotors and pads at any parts house should the need arise. It still uses the factory hub and bearing so that should never be an issue either.

Really, it is the best way to go. You will have to use 17" wheels to clear everything, which means a 17" spare as well.
BobN

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.