FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2014 1:35 PM  #1

Fuel and water pump

I am getting ready to put in new motor. I don't have all the external components purchased. I would like opinions on what I need as far as a water pump and fuel pump. 
 The car is a 66 mustang with a c4. The motor is a 302 roller stroked to 331. Heads are Trick Flow alum. Cam is trick flow stage 2 (healthy). Carb will be 600 to 650 cfm. With the horsepower increase, do I need to upgrade the mechanical fuel pump? I see about 20 or 30 choices at summitt. Anywhere from $25 to $150+. I dont really want to buy a edelbrock victor for $150 if I don't need it. What fuel pressure and flow would work for me. Right now I am thinking I will rebuild  a 600 cfm edelbrock I have to see how it works. Rebuilding it because it has been sitting on shelf a long time. Be specific as to what you use as far as brand and model if possible.
 Same for water pump. Should I go cast iron or alum? High flow or standard flow? Brand? 
 Do you think I need to upgrade radiator? I live in Arizona and will have a/c. thanks Dale

Last edited by DBROWN (8/18/2014 1:36 PM)

8/18/2014 6:45 PM  #2

Re: Fuel and water pump

I think you would be happy with the Edelbrock aluminum water pumps.  They are just under $200.  Now, if an off-the-shelf Autozone new replacement falls in your lap, it will do the job nearly as well for alot less money.  Flow-Kooler is the same pump as Autozone but with a plate pop-riveted to the impeller.

Before you buy a radiator, check out my how-to page on installing a 24" wide 69-70 radiator.

For fuel pump, I like the Carter mechanical pump that is basically a copy of the old BOSS 302 pump.  Summit sells them.

Carter pump #M60454 from Summit Racing  $99

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.