FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2014 3:25 PM  #1

glove box liner

OK, I give up, what's the secret to putting in a new glove box liner in a '65?  Does it go in from the front on the back or do I need to cut it into little pieces and tape together after I get it in the hole?  It supposedly is for a '64-66 car.  Thanks  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

9/25/2014 6:27 PM  #2

Re: glove box liner

I believe I did it from underneath, it is tight, but doable.  It the box the cardboard type, you should be able to squeeze it enough w/o damage.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/25/2014 8:38 PM  #3

BobE wrote:

I believe I did it from underneath, it is tight, but doable.  It the box the cardboard type, you should be able to squeeze it enough w/o damage.

do you remember if your heater plenum was already installed?  Thanks

9/26/2014 5:08 AM  #4

I seem to remember that the cardboard had creases in the sides that let you fold the sides inward.  Then you can slip it into the hole from the front, expand it by unfolding it and install the screws to hold it in place.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/26/2014 7:15 AM  #5

It should work exactly as John Ha described.

9/26/2014 9:34 AM  #6

John Ha wrote:

I seem to remember that the cardboard had creases in the sides that let you fold the sides inward.  Then you can slip it into the hole from the front, expand it by unfolding it and install the screws to hold it in place.

Also, IIRC, it helps to remove the glove box door.

9/27/2014 7:50 AM  #7

Yes, heater box was already installed.

9/28/2014 2:30 PM  #8

John Ha wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I must be doing something wrong.  The liner has some creases on the sides of the box that run up and down, but on the end flaps where the screws go, the crease runs front to back and when I try to push in the box at the creases, it tends to break the ends since they aren't creased the same way.  This is a real "Mickey Mouse" engineered piece.  I have the glove box door off too.

9/28/2014 7:34 PM  #9

retired 65 wrote:

John Ha wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I must be doing something wrong.  The liner has some creases on the sides of the box that run up and down, but on the end flaps where the screws go, the crease runs front to back and when I try to push in the box at the creases, it tends to break the ends since they aren't creased the same way.  This is a real "Mickey Mouse" engineered piece.  I have the glove box door off too.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger John!!....I destroyed TWO of those liners and never did one that looked/worked worth a poop with out mass quanities of duct tape. 
Good Luck.....it CAN be done (cause I've seen it!) its just over my head I guess.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/28/2014 9:16 PM  #10

Thanks everyone for the input.  I guess I will grab the duct tape and go to it.  Jerry

10/01/2014 6:20 PM  #11

If the duct tape is black it can hide a lot of sins.

10/01/2014 9:07 PM  #12

The folding is supposed to work but due to the materials used now (read: really cheap) it tends to break them.  I have tried numerous methods but the only way to get it in there in pristine shape is to remove the heater box.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/02/2014 6:05 AM  #13

Try a little moisture at the creases.  The one I installed five years ago (Drake) worked fine from the front and the new Drake I have looks like it will too.  My five year old one has been in and out a number of times...from the front.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/04/2014 4:23 PM  #14

after learning that the liner was supposed to be installed before the heater assy. is installed or that it can be installed by taking off the 11 clips on the heater box and removing the front half of the heater box, I said to myself "sefl there has to be a better way".  I wasn't about to remove the front of the heater box since I had already sealed the box up, so I went a different way.  I cut the liner in half, top to bottom and got a piece of black foam board from Walmart and cut some pices to seal the liner back up when I got it installed in the dash.  I made up some patterns off the back and sides of the liner before I cut it in half.  I then used contact cement on the patterns against the liner after I got it positioned in the dash, it worked great.  A little patience to get the two halves lined up and it is hard to tell it was cut in half.  Here are some pictures.

10/09/2014 9:34 PM  #15

Just installed one with my new interior from the front with the glove box door on.You have to fold the creases on the side and push it in.

10/10/2014 9:31 PM  #16

Coupedaddy wrote:

Just installed one with my new interior from the front with the glove box door on.You have to fold the creases on the side and push it in.

I did that.  The creases on the ends run front to back, but the end tabs where the screws go  don't have a crease and they wanted to break when I tried to fold it in, so I did it my way.  Thanks

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.