FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2014 5:21 PM  #1

New Front Stoppers for My '69F-100

I've been hard at it since I got off from work Friday evening, all day Saturday and today installing 'new' disc brake I-beams/front discs from a '77 F-100.

I pressed in new kingping bushings and (hand) reamed them then assembled the spindles to the I-beams --that was a job! Installed all new front suspension bushings and some Moog CC808 progressive rate front coil springs.

After the front disc brake swap is completed, it's on to installing the '78 F-150 Saginaw power steering gearbox, and the pump and pump mounting brackets, from a Ford 300, that was in an '82 model Ford truck.

After that, time to install the tilt steering column from a '78 F-150 (which I've already disassembled, rebuilt and put back together).

I'm going to give the new front coil springs time to settle before I install the 1-1/8" front sway bar from a '78 F-250 Camper Special.

10/05/2014 7:52 PM  #2

Re: New Front Stoppers for My '69F-100

well done my friend.......keep the pics and updates coming...........

10/05/2014 9:34 PM  #3

josh-kebob wrote:

well done my friend.......keep the pics and updates coming...........

Thanks, Josh.

This is a before...

....and during the process (I have more installed than what's in this picture).  I wish I could have gotten the frame and whatnot cleaner but, hard to do with the body on the frame. It's at least a major improvement from before.

10/05/2014 10:31 PM  #4

Fresh parts always look nice. Usually work better too.

10/06/2014 4:18 AM  #5

Looking good. It will make a world of difference in how it drives when all the pieces are installed.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/06/2014 6:27 AM  #6

You do pretty work, Steve.  Very nice and a big improvement in driving/handling I bet.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/06/2014 9:48 PM  #7

I'ma lik'en it Ultrastang!
Are you gonna lower the front by cutting coils.......or are the new springs "lowering sprangz"?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/07/2014 7:54 AM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

I'ma lik'en it Ultrastang!
Are you gonna lower the front by cutting coils.......or are the new springs "lowering sprangz"?
6sal6

The progressive springs are standard height. I don't intend to cut them. Cutting coils on the I-beam suspension gives unwanted camber on the wheels.

If you're going to lower a '65-'79 truck, you would need to install lowering beams, since no one makes drop spindles for them.

If you want to really lower the truck, you would need to install a front suspension from something like a 2003-2011 Crown Victoria. I do have a 2003 Crown Vic front suspension and a 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe IRS rear assembly. I haven't totally made up my mind if I'll install them but if I do, it will be at a much later date.

For now, I just want to improve the existing setup and enjoy driving the truck with the new components.

10/07/2014 9:04 AM  #9

Good Work!

10/07/2014 9:38 AM  #10

I'm sure you are noticing that NEW TRUCK feel now as compared to what was on there before.  Seems like it would have been less work to just put the CV front end under there, though.  It is a one day job.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/07/2014 1:11 PM  #11

MustangSteve wrote:

Seems like it would have been less work to just put the CV front end under there, though.  It is a one day job.

Is that with or without taking MustangSteve's Law into consideration? Just curious...

10/07/2014 1:30 PM  #12

At least a MONTH if THE LAW is applied.  If you are a perfectionist, triple that.

10/07/2014 4:23 PM  #13

Hakan wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Seems like it would have been less work to just put the CV front end under there, though.  It is a one day job.

Is that with or without taking MustangSteve's Law into consideration? Just curious...

Ha ha!

10/07/2014 4:40 PM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

I'm sure you are noticing that NEW TRUCK feel now as compared to what was on there before.  Seems like it would have been less work to just put the CV front end under there, though.  It is a one day job.

I don't have the truck back together, yet. I still have brake work to complete (fab new lines and add a combination valve, etc.).

After that, I have the power steering setup to install then, install the tilt column.

I haven't made up my mind on the Crown Vic/ Thunderbird IRS setup. The bad part about having the Ranger is I don't know that I want to cut it up. If it was just a base model or Custom, it might be different.

As far as the Crown Vic & T-Bird IRS goes, they are both too dirty for my standards, as they are now. They would have to be disassembled, cleaned, painted and put back together before I would install them.

I don't care if the parts generally don't show and very few people would see them. The parts may get dirty later on from use but, if I'm putting parts on, they are going to be clean, initially.  I give just as much attention to the parts that don't show as the ones that do. --I know what they look like so, above anyone, It has to please me.

I grew up driving a truck like this and I know how they behave. With the new parts, I'm sure it will be a world of difference, in improvement, from what I just took out from under it.

10/07/2014 7:22 PM  #15

I tend to agree with you, ultra.  With the new disc brakes, that truck will drive as good as it will ever need to drive.  I could see the CV thing maybe, but not the IRS.  When that happens, it ceases to be a truck.

10/07/2014 8:43 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

I tend to agree with you, ultra.  With the new disc brakes, that truck will drive as good as it will ever need to drive.  I could see the CV thing maybe, but not the IRS.  When that happens, it ceases to be a truck.

I know a guy with a '68 Bumpside that has the CV front suspension and T-bird IRS with a 460 big-block. That thing will really hang a tight curve. If you didn't know it was an old truck, you would think it was a car with the way it will handle. He doesn't really use it as a truck. He uses it as a nice modified cruiser truck.

I will haul wrecking yard parts and whatnot with my truck but, I don't really plan on hauling loads of gravel in the bed or pulling a backhoe with it.

It'll just be a lot nicer, more reliable and more comfortable than what it was.

10/08/2014 3:15 PM  #17

How did you ream the king pin bushings?  On mine, a local machine shop couldn't do it...  I took it to a large truck repair shop.

jerry

10/08/2014 7:49 PM  #18

jerryF wrote:

How did you ream the king pin bushings?  On mine, a local machine shop couldn't do it...  I took it to a large truck repair shop.

I called all around to local alignment shops and garages. Nobody had the equipment to do it. I called a guy that owns an engine machine shop (CMS Racing Engines) in a nearby town, told him what I had and asked if he could ream the bushings. He asked me what the pin diameter was. He checked (while I was on the phone with him) and said he had three reamers. I asked what he would charge and he said I was welcome to borrow them (he didn't even know me).

The shop is a couple of blocks from my workplace. I stopped by there last Friday, on my way home from work, and picked the reamers up.

I had never done this before and had never seen how it was done but, I figured it out.

I started out with the piloted reamer.

After the piloted reamer just passed through the other side of the second bushing, I turned the spindle to a horizontal position to run the reamer on through.

The piloted reamer was undersized compared to the kingpin diameter. One of the other borrowed reamers was an adjustable one. I adjusted it and made the final pass through the bushings with it.

Everything was straight, pin was snug with no slack and the spindle rotated nice and smooth.

10/09/2014 9:31 AM  #19

Pretty cool...  I always wondered how it was done.  You saved at least $65, and learned something in the process.   I did the exact same springs and brakes a few years ago.  I finally had it aligned last month at the same shop.  They were setup to bend the I-beams, and I was able to discuss with the guy about the settings I was looking for.  It took them a half a day to do it, but It drives much better with zero camber and a few degress of caster.

jerry

10/21/2014 7:23 PM  #20

I didn't get to work on the truck this past weekend but, I got the first of five brake lines made this evening.

11/02/2014 9:13 PM  #21

This is some of what I got accomplished on the '69 F-100 between last weekend and this weekend.

11/03/2014 3:23 PM  #22

How do you like those greenish brown brake lines?  I miss the silver you used to be able to get at the parts stores.  Starting to make Nicopp brake lines more attractive.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/03/2014 7:55 PM  #23

Greg B wrote:

How do you like those greenish brown brake lines?  I miss the silver you used to be able to get at the parts stores.  Starting to make Nicopp brake lines more attractive.  

Yeah, the last time I made some brake lines was maybe a couple of years ago, on a '67 Mustang that belongs to a local guy. This time, when I went to get the tubing to make the lines for my truck, I found no one is carrying the Bundy welded tinned (silver) lines anymore.

All the parts stores carry now is the olive drab E-coated lines. You have to be a lot more careful when handling the E-coated lines. Unlike the tinned lines, the finish on the E-coated lines will scratch off.

I still have two and a half 60" sticks of the tinned lines but, I knew it wouldn't be enough to do the truck and I didn't want mixed-match lines so, I just used the E-coated stuff.

I ran the line off the rear of the NOS brake valve last night. I just have the line mocked up to make sure it fits. I have to take it back off, slide some Armor Guard over it, put a 7/16"-24 fitting on the other end then double flare that end of the line, to tie it into the existing line going to the rear brakes.

After that, I have to run the lines out to the front brakes.

11/04/2014 12:41 AM  #24

Looks really great, Steve. Wish I had that much room to work on stuff - not so much room on the Mustang vs your truck. You and Hakan always do such nice work. You guys set the standard.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/04/2014 7:00 AM  #25

Ron68 wrote:

Looks really great, Steve. Wish I had that much room to work on stuff - not so much room on the Mustang vs your truck. You and Hakan always do such nice work. You guys set the standard.

Thanks, Ron.

Currently, my shop looks like a pack of tornadoes came through it. I have tools and parts scattered everywhere. When I get through making all the changes on the truck, it's going to be time for a major cleanup and reorganization. But, I'm grateful I do have a shop to mess up.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.