FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2014 2:31 PM  #1

Front oil seal

A while back I changed the seal for the crankshaft on  timing chain cover like it says on Mustang Steve's homepage. Instead of being on from the  backside it is now on the front side.

It started to leak so I am in the process of changing it and I'm trying to figure out how you get the seal in from the front side. Last time it was out of the car so I could hit it with a hammer. Now it's in the car and I really can't do that. Is there a special way I need to do this or is there some special tool that I need to use. Thanks....

10/11/2014 4:54 PM  #2

Re: Front oil seal

I think mine is leaking also.  Are you getting oil on your Sway Bar?

Steve69

10/11/2014 5:07 PM  #3

Its leaking pretty bad so it's all over. it's a real mess.

10/11/2014 8:57 PM  #4

Use a seal puller tool that has a hooked lever so you can get behind that flange on the seal.  Or a screwdriver but be careful to not pry too hard against the timing cover or you can crack it.  Usually if you can bend the flange enough to grab it with some vise-grips, you can then work the seal out.

Install a new Fel-Pro harmonic balancer repair sleeve on the balancer and the seal will last alot longer.  Be sure to lube the seal before installing the balancer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/12/2014 11:55 AM  #5

I got the old seal out pretty easily - maybe thats why it leaked - but what's the best way to install the new seal?

Btw, the front install of the seal is a breeze compared to having to pull the timing chain cover. Great idea Steve!

Last edited by Briangillen (10/12/2014 12:32 PM)

10/12/2014 2:27 PM  #6

I use a hammer.  A large socket that fits over the crank is a plus, but not necessary.  Put a paper thin layer of RTV on the inside edges of the hole anddrive it in place gradually, working your way around the seal flange a little at a time until it seats completely.  Don't forget the balancer repair sleeve.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.