FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2014 3:23 PM  #1

Virgin Brake System - Gravity Fed Bleeding

I would like to get some advice from the folks that know about bleeding brakes, the Gravity Fed way.I have a new master cylinder, vacuum power brake booster, new proportion valve, brand new brake lines all for a 4 disc set up. Everything for the brake system is brand new.Already bought DOT3 fluid, clear plastic tubing to witness the fluid flow, clear plastic bottle and have worked up the nerve to do this.Plan on starting at the rear passenger side first, rear drivers side second, front passenger side third and then the drivers side last.

10/11/2014 3:39 PM  #2

Re: Virgin Brake System - Gravity Fed Bleeding

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder first?

10/11/2014 4:36 PM  #3

josh-kebob wrote:

I did not

10/11/2014 7:08 PM  #4

Chelby-Ann wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

I did not

That is job no 1.  Always bench bleed first.  That can be done on the car.  Just be sure the fluid bowls stay full.  Then keep the lid off the mc.  fill it. 

Bleed starting with the right rear, left rear, right front, left front.  Put a plastic tube on the bleeder screw and run it into a can/bottle/etc.  (Keep a pan under the calper as fluid can leak around the threads of the bleeder screw.) Open the bleeder screw and let the fluid run thru until there are no bubbles.  Close the bleeder.  Repeat for each of the other wheels.

Constantly monitor the fluid level in the mc.  never let it get lower that half way.  You have to watch constantly as it can empty pretty rapidly.  Particularly the smaller bowl in the back of the mc.  You may have to do this more than once to completely rid the lines of air.

Try the brakes.  If they are soft, bleed again.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/12/2014 4:51 PM  #5

Don't be discouraged if the gravity method doesn't work. I know there are many on here who swear by it, I personally never could get it to work for me.(Probably something I did wrong)     I used the old tried and true method of pumping the pedal to get mine to work. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

10/12/2014 7:23 PM  #6

Chelby-Ann wrote:

I would like to get some advice from the folks that know about bleeding brakes, the Gravity Fed way.I have a new master cylinder, vacuum power brake booster, new proportion valve, brand new brake lines all for a 4 disc set up. Everything for the brake system is brand new.Already bought DOT3 fluid, clear plastic tubing to witness the fluid flow, clear plastic bottle and have worked up the nerve to do this.Plan on starting at the rear passenger side first, rear drivers side second, front passenger side third and then the drivers side last.

Its too easy...no need to bleed the master...fill the master and keep it full as the bleeding takes places...hook up all those hoses to your bleeders  and let them each feed into a seperate bottle...then open all the bleeders at once and watch the fluid and air bubles drain till each runs clear, void of air bubbles..."could take a couple hours"...then tighten them up...pedal should be hard....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/01/2014 3:59 PM  #7

jerseyjoe wrote:

Chelby-Ann wrote:

Its too easy...no need to bleed the master...fill the master and keep it full as the bleeding takes places...hook up all those hoses to your bleeders  and let them each feed into a seperate bottle...then open all the bleeders at once and watch the fluid and air bubles drain till each runs clear, void of air bubbles..."could take a couple hours"...then tighten them up...pedal should be hard....jj

Hey Guys
Do I need to do anything with the proportioning valve when bleeding the system? I bench bled the master cylinder and I have brake fluid thru the bleedah valves on both front brakes but nothing happening with the rears. I have gently pumped the brake pedel a few times now.

11/01/2014 7:57 PM  #8

Did  you gravity bleed the fronts...if so close the front bleeders and keep the rears open ...be sure th keep the master full...it can take hours....jj

11/01/2014 8:56 PM  #9

Yes I did. Fronts are closed. Reservoir is full. Both rears are open. Check it out in the morning. Thanks

11/01/2014 9:09 PM  #10

Chelby-Ann wrote:

Yes I did. Fronts are closed. Reservoir is full. Both rears are open. Check it out in the morning. Thanks

Don't let it run dry....jj

11/02/2014 6:22 AM  #11

jerseyjoe wrote:

Chelby-Ann wrote:

Thanks JJ
Got up this morning and I was happy to see that I had fluid in the rear drivers side bottle and fluid in the master cylinder. Filled her up and will wait for the rear passenger side to show signs of fluid. You were right it may take hours!.

11/02/2014 8:02 AM  #12

Chelby-Ann wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

Chelby-Ann wrote:

Thanks JJ
Got up this morning and I was happy to see that I had fluid in the rear drivers side bottle and fluid in the master cylinder. Filled her up and will wait for the rear passenger side to show signs of fluid. You were right it may take hours!.

Good to hear that...if you have an old MC cover you could drill a hole in it and apply a little air pressure for a little persuasion....jj

11/03/2014 8:58 PM  #13

i mounted my master to my booster and poured some fluis in each chamber and thend pressed the peddal fully letting all the air run out.. my master came with hoses and ends to recover fluid that would be lost. this was was pretty good for me i kept doing the pedal till all remaining bubbles were gone.. then i had someone help me bleed the brakes the old fashioned way worked great.

11/04/2014 4:31 AM  #14

Just a little tip, I gravity bleed alot at the shop.  Fill with fluid, pump to  the start moving fluid.  After you open the bleeder at each wheel take your whrench and tap the caliper or wheel cly when fluid appears.  I also do the tap before closing each bleeder.

Just like the nurse flicks the syring to dislodge the air bubbles

11/04/2014 11:32 AM  #15

Finally the rear passenger side showed signs of fluid.
Tonight we are going to work one side at a time starting at the rear passenger side.
I'm gonna pump the brakes and Brian is gonna bleed them and making sure the MC is full.
Should have a working brake system by the end of the night.
Thanks for all the advice.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.