FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2014 8:35 AM  #1

A/C compressor question

I'm curious for my 65 289 with factory air. I was wondering if a newer compressor from a later car had the same bottom four Bolt pattern so I could utilize the compressor?

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/13/2014 8:56 AM)

10/13/2014 10:51 AM  #2

Re: A/C compressor question

Yes Tyler a Sanden is a much better compressor than an old York type.
 The Sanden is not only a more efficent pump it takes less HP to turn.
Most all the aftermarket sellers use a 508 Sanden type A/C compressor.

Corky

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/13/2014 11:13 AM  #3

Awesome thats what came to mind as well. I just was curious as to what everyone here thought. I'm sure I can design a bracket to mount that compressor if I have to. Do you know if that will mount to the original pedestal four bolt style mount?

10/13/2014 11:26 AM  #4

If you have the factory setup, you will need a conversion bracket to hook up a sanden.   In addition, if you have the early factory cast iron alternator and cast iron belt tension pulley bracket (what is refered to as a dog leg) you will have to fabricate a side bracket that bolts to the sanden for that as well.   That said, there are many options, such as using the alternator and a/c tension brackets from a 67 up (stamped metal)  or just a complete aftermarket a/c bracket.   

The york style compressor is still made and is used mainly on big rigs in 134A.  However, they do not have the side holes for the dog leg, either.  

I was going to use a york on my Mustang, but everyone talked me out of it.  I now have a sanden on it. I have the conversion bracket, but I have not fabricated anything yet for the dog leg set up.  

On my Galaxie, I have a sanden with a complete aftermarket bracket set up that I got from Nostalgic air.  which I like much better.   It comes in about what seems like 50 pieces, with the different spacers that fit on the water pump, but I welded mine all together.  I have thought about getting another one for the Mustang, but I put so much work into making all that stuff fit together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YORK-209-or-210-TO-SANDEN-OR-SELTEC-COMPRESSOR-MOUNT-KIT-/311009409187?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48699af8a3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Greg B (10/13/2014 11:30 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.