FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2014 1:49 PM  #1

Non mustang related help

I have an 85 k10 pickup which rides like the slogan a rock.  I'm wanted to do a bagged four link rear set up. I'm curious as to which size DOM tubing y'all might suggest.  I'm thinking either 1" or another person told me 1.50" tubing. I plan on using weld on four link tabs on the rear end and for the bars I'm either planning on using Johnny joints or  four link weld on bar end with pressed in bushing like these http://thecustomconnectiononline.com/4-link-parts-4-link-bushings-&-bungs-4-link-weld-on-bar-end-p-1189.html. Any other suggestions would be appreciated the 67- present pick up forum was no help on suggestions.  If this works out good Ill probably do a similar set up up front sense my truck has a solid front axle and leafs.  That set up would look similar to this only instead of coils id be using bags.

10/19/2014 9:02 PM  #2

Re: Non mustang related help

What's DOM stand fer?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/19/2014 9:54 PM  #3

Drawn over mandrel .... I think.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

10/20/2014 7:13 AM  #4

50vert wrote:

Correct..... Although in this case it really doesn't need to be DOM tubing. DOM is used for situations where the tubes would have side inpatchs, such as roll cages, and off road suspensions. If it were me I'd fab this out of 1-1/4, 10 gauge tubing, 1/8" plate for the gussets, and 1/4 or 3/16 plate for the brackets. 

It's hard to type "funny"

10/20/2014 9:21 AM  #5

Derek wrote:

50vert wrote:

Correct..... Although in this case it really doesn't need to be DOM tubing. DOM is used for situations where the tubes would have side inpatchs, such as roll cages, and off road suspensions. If it were me I'd fab this out of 1-1/4, 10 gauge tubing, 1/8" plate for the gussets, and 1/4 or 3/16 plate for the brackets. 

Ditto.  And, as it always works out...  I jut took a 2014 Mustang panhard bar to the dump this morning, thinking I would never have any possible use for it.  Would have worked perfect for your project.

I think I would just consider taking a leaf or two out of the springs first, though.  You would be amazed how much that will improve the ride on a truck.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/21/2014 4:20 PM  #6

ill try the leaf removal. the promlem with the chevy design short from lots. is that these trucks hace a overload shackle similar to that on some ford pick ups.. instead of it being vertical its on a cruddy angle and flipped upside down. doing so on this type of truck with hefty leafs makes it so you dont get the travel it needs resulting in the ever famous chevy saying like a rock. im a whitness that these trucks ride just like that.. 

ill try removing some leafs on the rear and hope for some emprovment though. thanks for the suggestions on the tubing and meterial.

10/21/2014 4:57 PM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

ill try the leaf removal. the promlem with the chevy design short from lots. is that these trucks hace a overload shackle similar to that on some ford pick ups.. instead of it being vertical its on a cruddy angle and flipped upside down. doing so on this type of truck with hefty leafs makes it so you dont get the travel it needs resulting in the ever famous chevy saying like a rock. im a whitness that these trucks ride just like that.. 

ill try removing some leafs on the rear and hope for some emprovment though. thanks for the suggestions on the tubing and meterial.

I feel your pain with the rough riding chevy trucks. My Army truck has those military springs on the back and it rides like ah skateboard. I'm thinking about running these...........http://www.sulastic.com/

It's hard to type "funny"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.