FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2014 10:23 PM  #1

Speedo cable replace..........

Whats the EZ-ist way to replace a bad cable? My speedo quit on the way home and I want to think its the cable. Just unhook from the spedometer and pull the cable out?!  Haven't replace one since I was in high skul.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/20/2014 5:07 AM  #2

Re: Speedo cable replace..........

It's been a while since I did mine but I'm pretty sure you have to work from the transmission end.  Pull the plug doohicky out of the transmission and pull the cable out of the housing.  Swap the driven gear to the new cable and slide it back into the housing.  I seem to remember having to pull the instrument cluster to get the new cable trimmed to the correct length and into the back of the speedometer but if you are lucky you might not have to do that, as long as the new cable is the correct length.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/20/2014 5:38 AM  #3

Sal, all Stang speedo cables are changed from top! Make sure a short, an inch long or so.broken piece is not left in housing, you can tell by old cable lower end. Will have a square on end of cable inch long or so. If cable is broken you may have to access from lower end. Some times cables are too short and make speedo inop.
Howard 

10/20/2014 8:25 AM  #4

Sal,
I just changed mine after the Bash.  I got the Drake one from CJPP that comes with the housing, and I had to do it from above and below.  The hole in the trans tunnel only allows the speedo head knob to go through it from below.  The trans end of the cable/housing is too large to go through the hole in the tunnel from the top, which is near the gas pedal.  The square end of the cable, that hmartin refers to, was MIA on mine down at the gear end of the cable, so my cable did not spin. 

1) Remove cluster and remove cable & housing from speedo
2) Tie a string to the gauge end of the housing
3) shove the cable/housing, & string through floorboard
4) Remove cable/housing from side of trans
5) Remove clip that holds gear onto the old cable
6) Remove gear from old cable and inspect to make sure square end of new cable will fit in the gear
7) Swap gear & clip onto new cable/housing and install on trans with a little lube to get the o ring in, undamaged
8) Route as necessary to clear the exhaust, and use the string to fish the end of the new cable back through the floorboard.
9) Connect to speedo and reinstall cluster.

Took me about 45 minutes, including the jack & stands routine.... 

Upon close exam of my old cable housing, once removed, it had been too close to the exhaust in a couple spots, and the PO had twisted it all around the trans mount to get it up and out of the way of the exhaust.  Works great now.

If you got lucky, and your problem was only a bad cable behind the speedo (and your gear and housing were fine) you could just swap the cable into your old housing, and do it all from the top.

Last edited by TimC (10/20/2014 8:46 AM)

10/20/2014 5:18 PM  #5

Thanx for the tips!
Since I need to order some quarter panels/patch panels and some other small stuff...guess I will wait until I'm ready for the big stuff and get the small stuff then(save some on shipping instead of getting small stuff and pay full size(!) shipping charges!! Ever the "cheap skate"!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/21/2014 4:07 AM  #6

I prefer to make my own cable from a replacemenr kit (any auto parts) to make sure proper length. Of course depends if your replacing "Cable and Housing". then shortening Auto Parts replacement cable is a mute point.
Howard

10/21/2014 6:04 AM  #7

Another reason I put in an Electric Speedo using GPS. No more cables getting near exhaust or anything for that matter.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

10/21/2014 8:26 AM  #8

Anyone know of a longer cable assy that will fit a little better...I got a t5 and with the tranny mount was a real pain to get it hooked up...had to connect tranny end last.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

10/21/2014 9:42 AM  #9

ooh oooh I know this one !! done this twice!! :D :D .. easy peasy!!! I took out my instrument panel to make it easier on me to access it. My fat hands and fat fingers werent getting a good grip by going from under the dash.  

once intstrument panel is out, its extremely easy. undo the cable there, undo the cable on the transmission end, and pull it out. A C clip holds the driven gear on to the speedo cable. easily comes out with just a nail push. Goes on flush only one way so make sure it is right side up when putting back in (i guess make sure that you have noted which way the clip goes on ) 

I have noticed this one in a few new cables. The square cable is wound on top with thin wires to make it strong and give it its shape etc.. in the end, those wires would not be "ended" properly making a slight ridge, making it impossible to slide the cable in. Gotta love OEM parts! :D All that to say.. if you notice that on the instrument cluster side, you could just do what I did.. unwind a qurter inch, snip the bad part and tighten the rest with a needle nose. Its easy enough fix, and once the cable slides in tight, it wont make any issues.. 

there is a protective cushion on there , make sure that the cushion / protector slides well into the hole in the firewall.. Prevents chaffed wires and smells from a hole that is much bigger than the speedo cable

Mainiac1 asked about a cable assembly that is longer..  a later model I think is a longer cable by 5inches or se. BUT . I tried that on mine, and cable ended sliding a burning on my headers. so I went back to stock.. and it worked better anyway. 

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

10/21/2014 10:11 AM  #10

Might note the four speed requires a longer cable than the auto, three speed or T5 conversion.

On that "tying the string thing", might be worth noting to tie opposite end of string to steering wheel.  With my luck (and according to MustangSteve's LAW), I would pull the cable out from the bottom, including ALL of the string.  Point is to have the string still at the top so you can tie the lower end to the new cable and pull it back in the car.  I have never found it necessary to use the string, but it sounds like a great idea.

The new replacement cables have a really flimsy vinyl coating, unlike the originals which could take some abuse.  Route the cable away from exhaust and do not let it rest on any sharp edges or vibration will let said edge cut through the housing.  Speedo cables are self-lubricating with oil from the transmission, so any cut in the housing will result in an oil leak at that point, even if a couple of feet away from the tranny.

Do not wrench down on the but holding the top of the cable to the speedo.  Finger tight is fine, and you will appreciate it the next time you need to remove the cluster.

Skinny guys from Australia are good to have around when reattaching the cable to the speedo housing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/21/2014 4:28 PM  #11

When we convert the speedo to the right hand side, we use a 4 speed cable. Will be too long for you tho.
I only replace the inner cable if it breaks without a lot of noise beforehand. A lot of noise and speed fluctuation usually means the outer will be damaged.
Of course none of this helps you cos I'm sure you can't hear much anyway. 

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

10/21/2014 7:39 PM  #12

50vert wrote:

When we convert the speedo to the right hand side, we use a 4 speed cable. Will be too long for you tho.
I only replace the inner cable if it breaks without a lot of noise beforehand. A lot of noise and speed fluctuation usually means the outer will be damaged.
Of course none of this helps you cos I'm sure you can't hear much anyway. 

Har-Har-Har-Har!!!! 
It was the inner cable...outer seems to be OK! Original was a 3 speed so I guess thats what I'll get.
Pep Boys does NOT have a listing for the cable.........guess I'll look around.
6s6

10/22/2014 4:42 AM  #13

Dorman sells a universal replacement part that you may have to shorten a bit, but it works.  It's Dorman part number 10104.

Last edited by John Ha (10/22/2014 4:44 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.