FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2014 10:34 PM  #1

65 mustang 6 cyl 200 c i engine eshaust and intake manifolds after m

i have been thinging of changiing to a v 8 but now am having thoughts of may be modfying the  6 cyl does any one know of a company that makes a duel exhaust  manifold  and a intake theat would  handle maybe a 2 barrel  holly carb for this engine  thankd jim 

10/26/2014 12:19 AM  #2

Re: 65 mustang 6 cyl 200 c i engine eshaust and intake manifolds after m

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/26/2014 5:24 AM  #3

zimmy2nn wrote:

i have been thinging of changiing to a v 8 but now am having thoughts of may be modfying the  6 cyl does any one know of a company that makes a duel exhaust  manifold  and a intake theat would  handle maybe a 2 barrel  holly carb for this engine  thankd jim 

hello;

if you simply bolt on a 2v carb, you will LOOSE power, same might be with the exhaust. tell us what you have and how much money you have. i know a ton about the 6 cyl cars. first thing is if you have the original load o matic advance system, the best place for it is in the trash can.

if your engine has ever been rebuilt, it has around 8.0 compression and you ain't gettin anywhere very fast with that.

If you want a big carb, headers and more power, you must install a 250 head. there is no other option unless you install an aftermarket head. the aluminum one is only $2,000.00

also, if you want quicker acceleration and you have 2.80 rear gears. you need to buy a used set of 3.20 gears. there are no new gears made for this car.

for around $2,000.00 in parts, you will gain around 25 hp and shave off around 1 second in your 1/4 mile time.

Last edited by barnett468 (10/26/2014 5:32 AM)

10/26/2014 9:17 AM  #4

zimmy2nn wrote:

There is a wealth of credible information at this forum - http://www.fordsix.com/

It's sponsored by a company that makes and sells the kinds of parts you are seeking - http://www.classicinlines.com/

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/26/2014 9:36 AM  #5

My experience with a 200 in a 66 and a desire for increased performance is this... 

Put a header on the engine with the stock carb.
Install electronic ignition (evena Pertronix)
Put a T5 five speed in it.
Put 3.50 gears in the rear end.
Enjoy driving the car.  The five speed and rear gears will make it drive like a sports car.  The engine will be adequate although not a screamer.

After all that, if you really need more power, buy a used Fox 5.0 and change the intake to a carb, change the pan and distributor and put it in the car.  You will already have the rear end and tranny to go with it, and an engine like that swapped to carb, correct pan and distributor can b e put together for under $1,000.

This formula was used in Deb's 66 coupe.  It worked great.  With the six, the car was fun to drive and would cruise 80 mph as smooth as glass and on the highway got 32 MPG.  Even with manual steering, the car was easy to steer due to the light weight.  She liked it so much it never got to the V8 stage.

As you can see from the list, if you do the T5 and 8" rear end with 3.50 gears first, and after all that you are still unhappy with power, then you already have the parts in place to drop the V8 in it.

If you try to hotrod the sixbanger, you will eventually wind up with a very expensive pile of parts on the garage floor after the V8 goes in, kind of like my $3,500 pile of EFI parts that got removed for a reliable carburetor.  Live and learn.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/27/2014 6:51 AM  #6

From the classic inlines site regarding 6 cylinder engine power increases.

"To increase power you need to address the induction and exhaust systems, combustion ratio and cam profile, and the ignition system."

From the classic inlines site regarding installing just a header and bigger carb.

“However the total gains may be disappointing and only make the shortcomings of the cylinder head, with its integral log intake manifold and the stock cam more evident”

This pretty much says it all. It's better to know in advance before spending a bunch of hard earned money on these two items, that by just installing a header and carb only, you will not notice a huge gain in performance, and if you install a bigger carb, you will loose bottom end performance just as I said, however, it will sound louder.

zimmy2nn wrote:

Headers

http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=53

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/headers/engine-size/3-3l-200/engine-family/ford-inline-6-cylinder/year/1966/make/ford/model/mustang

Here is a replacement carb sold by classicinlines and a few other sources.  No one knows what cfm or venturi size or booster type this carb is. All they say is “It as a replacement carburetor.” which is obviously fairly useless info, however, it has an easily adjustable main jet..

I would try to find out the cfm and the booster type if you are interested. Annular boosters are xlnt. If the venturi [not the bore] size is slightly bigger than yours then it’s a decent carb for a stock engine. If it also has annular boosters, I suggest you buy it if you have probs with yours. Classic will buy yours.

Day 200 urc carb.

http://classicinlines.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DAY-200-URC&cat=169

http://www.daytonaparts.com/carburetor.html

Last edited by barnett468 (10/27/2014 9:32 AM)

10/27/2014 8:26 AM  #7

Right... Bigger carb on the six is a waste of money.  Freeing up exhaust flow can only increase efficiency, although it may not add much power.

10/27/2014 4:48 PM  #8

I'm sure you could get a small turbo from STS that would solve the problem.  8) ....Take it from me, if you are serious about more power and want to go to a v8 sell the 6 cyl car and buy a v8 car.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

10/28/2014 1:31 AM  #9

I went through all this angst with my car about 20 years ago. Big cam, 2100 2 barrel carb, long tube headers, forged pistons, and more. What you will eventually end up with is 6 cyl power with V8 gas mileage. I would go the route that Steve has laid out if you REALLY must keep this particular car. If you don't have a special love for it then you will be much happier and more satisfied with a factory V8 car.  Been there, done that.

Of course good solid cars are getting harder to find so if yours is good and solid then follow Steve's plan.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/28/2014 3:38 AM  #10

Muzz 66 wrote:

I went through all this angst with my car about 20 years ago. Big cam, 2100 2 barrel carb, long tube headers, forged pistons, and more. What you will eventually end up with is 6 cyl power with V8 gas mileage.

Hey come now, don't be so harsh [realistic], it will have at least 6 1/2 cylinder power.

Muzz 66 wrote:

I would go the route that Steve has laid out if you REALLY must keep this particular car.

Yup, at which point the upgrades I memtioned will be put to better use but may no longer be "necessary".

I was actually going to get my 6 cylinder dynoed but they said it wouldn't work because the dyno didn't start reading until 100 horsepower.

Last edited by barnett468 (10/28/2014 3:42 AM)

10/28/2014 6:38 AM  #11

I don't own a 6 cylinder(not sure I ever woood butt) I want to think....ANY improvements cam,CR,free-er exhaust,better induction and especially a tailored ignition will NOT hurt it.
IF you have the assembly balanced and maybe a lighter flywheel with the stuff mentioned above....you should be able to wind the snot out of it with the right gear set and a T-5 OD.
IF I were to build one this is what I would think would be fun!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/28/2014 7:03 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

I don't own a 6 cylinder(not sure I ever woood butt) I want to think....ANY improvements cam,CR,free-er exhaust,better induction and especially a tailored ignition will NOT hurt it.
IF you have the assembly balanced and maybe a lighter flywheel with the stuff mentioned above....you should be able to wind the snot out of it with the right gear set and a T-5 OD.
IF I were to build one this is what I would think would be fun!!

well, there are 3 people besides me here with direct experience with these that are basically saying the exact same thing, and i seriously doubt that any of us are saying these things because we hate 6 cylinders and i would venture to guess that the others like 6 cylinders as i do, however, we have learned that unless you stroke the engine or supercharge/turbo it and spend around $6,000.00 on it or more that it will nevber have "impressive" V8 type power.

heres the problem . . the intake manifold is part of the head and it is really tiny on the 200 engine . . the exhast ports are also really tiny, therefore the intake won't flow much more than it currently does if you stuff a huge carb on it . . well if you cannot get more air in because of the tiny intake, there is not much point in trying to get more air out by buying $350.00 headers for it and a new $400.00 exhaust system to go with the new headers unless you simply want a louder car.

now, the standard upgrade us to nuy a head off a 250 engine because they have far better flow, HOWEVER, they have bigger cylinder chambers so if you simply bolt it on, you will have extremely low compression . . well the low comoression reduces hp and therefore voids any improvement you might try to make by installing a bigger carb and headers on it.

the partial fix for this is to 0 deck the block then mill around .090" off the head . .another option is to get domed pistons to regain lost compression.

Last edited by barnett468 (10/28/2014 8:01 AM)

10/28/2014 8:44 PM  #13

The six is limited by displacement.  If you through enough money at it, it can be made to perform.  But, here the old adage plays a big part - "There is no replacement for displacement".

10/28/2014 9:03 PM  #14

I have nothing against the six but one thing.  It can never sound like a V8.  No matter what is done to it, it still only has the firing frequency of 6 hits per revolution.  They sound "weird" to me.  Some people probably prefer the sound of the six...  I just don't like the sound. 

10/28/2014 9:59 PM  #15

MustangSteve wrote:

I have nothing against the six but one thing.  It can never sound like a V8.  No matter what is done to it, it still only has the firing frequency of 6 hits per revolution.  They sound "weird" to me.  Some people probably prefer the sound of the six...  I just don't like the sound. 

X-2!   And diesels............I just can't "get into" that rattleing!!!!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/29/2014 5:05 AM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

X3...I have an F150 with the EcoBoost V6.  Goes like stink, out-pulls the 5.0 by a mile, gets decent fuel mileage.

Butt (TS&T), it still sounds like an '80s Chevy Bearcat...no, that's not it, Baracuda...No, not that either.  Maybe it was a Badger...hmmmm, I don't think so but you all remember them.  They all had a very distinct "V6" sound.

In my opinion the only thing I've heard that sounds as good as a V8 is a 200 inch four-banger pushing 6K rpm across a dry lake.  Now that is music to my old ears.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/29/2014 5:09 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/29/2014 5:56 AM  #17

MustangSteve wrote:

Ever heard a Porsche at full song?  Or a BMW 6 or an E-Type Jag 4.3?  That's some of the sweetest music on earth - at least to my ears.

10/29/2014 6:09 AM  #18

John Ha wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Ever heard a Porsche at full song?  Or a BMW 6 or an E-Type Jag 4.3?  That's some of the sweetest music on earth - at least to my ears.

OMG...I can't believe you would even attempt to compare the sound of those engine to the sound of a ford inline 6. You should be ashamed of yourself, lol.

10/29/2014 7:50 AM  #19

A couple of summers ago someone showed up at the local cruise night with a 46 or 46 Hudson pickup truck done up in the pro-street vane.  It was one of the meanest sounding things I have heard on the street.  The basis for the build was the original 262 c.i. inline 6.  It got A LOT of looks.

10/29/2014 7:52 AM  #20

barnett468 wrote:

OMG...I can't believe you would even attempt to compare the sound of those engine to the sound of a ford inline 6. You should be ashamed of yourself, lol.

Ashamed? Not hardly.  The Ford inline sixes sound every bit as sweet when they're revved up somewhere around 3000 or there-abouts.  I know - I've driven them that way and the sound is wonderful! 

You should be ashamed for 1, never experiencing it and 2, for not recognzing the potential.

10/29/2014 8:32 AM  #21

John Ha wrote:

barnett468 wrote:

Ashamed? Not hardly.  The Ford inline sixes sound every bit as sweet when they're revved up somewhere around 3000 or there-abouts.  I know - I've driven them that way and the sound is wonderful! 

You should be ashamed for 1, never experiencing it...

Actually, I have experienced all the cars you mentioned including the ford inline 6 and the only thing i'm "ashamed" of is for thinking they could be made to be "fast".

Ok here’s some sound comparison videos.

Ford inline 6 with header, single exhaust and a flowmaster 40 which is the second loudest muffler flowmaster makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUhmm0Jbaos

302 with flowmaster 40’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gX_p-zRlRE

John Ha wrote:

...and 2 for not recognzing the potential.

oh, i certainly recognize the "potential" of the inline 6. here’s a decent running and sounding one. just takes around $30,000.00 for the engine only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtVyfC_bBo

Last edited by barnett468 (10/29/2014 8:49 AM)

10/29/2014 9:32 AM  #22

My advice would be go with the v8. If you modify the 6and gain any significant power you should consider a steering and brake upgrade anyway. I did it to my 66coupe and I've never regretted it.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/29/2014 10:48 AM  #23

Here's the only video of a 200 inline 6 on the dyno and the engine probably has $5500.00 into it but for some reason they didm'y post the results...wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh0DUPRs-0

10/29/2014 12:02 PM  #24

barnett468 wrote:

Here's the only video of a 200 inline 6 on the dyno and the engine probably has $5500.00 into it but for some reason they didm'y post the results...wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqh0DUPRs-0

Yep, that sounds like a six, alright...

Bottom line is this...  Build whatever you think you will like.  You can always do it over if it turns out what you built is not what you thought you would like.  And you will have expensive take-off parts laying around, just like the rest of us who have gone down that path in one way or another.  It's all part of the hobby, and when you show up at the bash, you will have something unique to show off.

One thing is for sure, wrenching on that six in a Mustang engine bay has got to be a rewarding experience because you can get to everything easily. 

10/29/2014 12:18 PM  #25

MustangSteve wrote:

One thing is for sure, wrenching on that six in a Mustang engine bay has got to be a rewarding experience because you can get to everything easily. 

So there is an upside to them!

MustangSteve wrote:

You can always do it over if it turns out what you built is not what you thought you would like.  And you will have expensive take-off parts laying around...

That's what Ebay is for.

Last edited by barnett468 (10/29/2014 12:21 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.