FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2015 3:01 PM  #1

Okay, I give up...an hour and a half is long enough...

to re-install a distributor in an SBF.  What the Hxxx am I don't wrong?  This is driving me nuts.

Since I changed the cam/rockers and heads, the 5.0 in our HT has made a strange sort of WOOOOO sound when it warms up.  Nobody can say what it is but a couple of guys, and myself, thought it may be a dry dizzy (been setting for a year and a half).

So today I pulled the dizzy to check things out and didn't find anything goofy and went to stick it back in.  Well...it won't go.  the pump drive shaft seems to be seated in the pump and- is below the distributor guide boss by about 1/4 ti 3/8", the distributor hex drive end is clear and a hex wrench goes all the way in with no trouble.  But the dist. will only go in 'till the pump drive end is about 1/2 over the pump shaft...not far enough to start to engage the cam gear, but turning the dist shaft from the top feels like it's turning the oil pump.  And it feels and sounds like it running up against something solid.  I thought it may be binding on the pump shaft...don' know why it would...but light taps with wooden impliment does nothing.

WHAT HAVE I GONE AND DONE?  This is crazy.  I have to get it to go in by Aug. or I may not make the Bash.  Do I need to get a crate engine...maybe change the 8.8 back to the stock 8"?  Paint it red.  What?

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/21/2015 3:04 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/21/2015 3:12 PM  #2

Re: Okay, I give up...an hour and a half is long enough...

Walk away from it!!  go inside the house and get away from the frustration!  Call me or Call JKB hes driving across country!!  Do anything to get away from it,then go back and figure it out!!

2/21/2015 3:22 PM  #3

Thanks Terry, I'm working at the lathe now.  I'll try again after I get some expert advice.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/21/2015 3:42 PM  #4

Bob, it could be that the pump drive shaft is pulled up just enough to become "unseated"(square drive is out of phase with the socket) Try using a 1/4 socket ro turn the drive shaft enough to re-phase it and it will fall back into position??
Stabbing & unstabbing the dizzy mine did something simular, butt I've been to sleep since then and can't remember exactly what.
Ohhh.....it's fun to have to pull the oil pan off at this point, just to make sure the Oil pump DS is seated correctly.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

2/21/2015 5:21 PM  #5

SInce the helix cut gears on the distributor make it rotate about 1/8 of a turn when you remove it, the oil pump drive ALWAYS gets out of sync when the distributor is pulled out.

Take a 5/16" socket and GLUE IT TO A LONG EXTENSION and rotate the pump drive about 1/8 of a turn.  Then try to stab the distributor.  You might have to adjust the rotation on the pump shaft a coupe of times to get it to catch, but it will soon fall right into place.

I have an old distributor with the bowl and the gear removed that I use for this purpose.  It also has a 3/4" hex nut welded to the top of the shaft so I can use it to prime the oil systems.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/21/2015 6:07 PM  #6

Home made primer/oil pump driver used to jog the pump shaft for dizzy location. 5/16” long socket head cap screw for the driver and some odds and sods for the rest.     

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/21/2015 7:04 PM  #7

terry wrote:

Walk away from it!!  go inside the house and get away from the frustration!  Call me or Call JKB hes driving across country!!  Do anything to get away from it,then go back and figure it out!!

Best advice.

Don't know how many times I walked away from something and came back later, then it seems to almost fix itself.

Don't know if this is the right way to do it but I would set the dizzy in and spin the engine with the fan belt.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/21/2015 11:16 PM  #8

wsinsle wrote:

terry wrote:

Best advice.

Don't know how many times I walked away from something and came back later, then it seems to almost fix itself.

Don't know if this is the right way to do it but I would set the dizzy in and spin the engine with the fan belt.

X-2^^ Or turn it a little with a long pull handle on the balancer nut...while fiddleing with the dizzy.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/22/2015 8:27 AM  #9

BB, something goffy is going on with dist drive shaft. In a SBF I've never had dist not engage gear before touching oil pump drive!. My normal dist install is to engage gear and if shaft not lined up, hold down pressure on dist then bump engine over till oil pump drive lines up and dist drops in, of course this will not work for you. If dist gear not engageing, then shaft has to be out of place holding dist up enough to miss gear!
Howard

2/22/2015 2:31 PM  #10

If your car is on the ground and is a stick shift, I usually put it in 4th and bump the car with my knees to roll over the engine slightly while manipulating the dizzy to get it in. Works every time. Remember to release the park brake. 

2/22/2015 2:39 PM  #11

I have used the BUMP the starter method as well, but when someone who does not do this every day tries it, they invariably wind up having to start over and get the #1 piston at TDC on firing stroke after it fails to engage.  To avoid that possibility, it is much easier to just turn the driveshaft with a socket or  purpose-made tool and then the distributor will drop right in.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/22/2015 4:22 PM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

I have used the BUMP the starter method as well, but when someone who does not do this every day tries it, they invariably wind up having to start over and get the #1 piston at TDC on firing stroke after it fails to engage.  To avoid that possibility, it is much easier to just turn the driveshaft with a socket or  purpose-made tool and then the distributor will drop right in.

Thank you one and all for the very knowledgable tips.  And all who said to bump the crank in one way or another are absolutely correct.......if I hadn't made one very important screw-up. 

As I stated in my original post, the top of the oil pump shaft is in the dizzy guide hole and about 1/4" below the dizzy gear running surface.  The dizzy will start onto the pump shaft but will only go about 5/8" befor stopping...no matter what I do.

So today I finally got some high intensity light down in the hole and I can just see past the dizzy guide boss to the oil pump drive.  And guess what?  I can see the oil pump drive hole so there ain't no shaft in it.  I obviously lifted the shaft when pulling the dizzy and that mean I obviously didn't position the "anti-lift-the-pump-shaft-out-of-the-pump-when-pulling-the-dizzy-stop-collar" when I put the engine together. 

So, I will try to make a tool to lift and reposition the shaft into the pump drive but even if that works I'm thinking "pull the pan" so I will not have to worry about it next time".

Thanks all for the help.  What was happining is that the dizzy started  over the pump shaft but due to the fact that the pump shaft isn't square with the guide hole, the dizzy just wedged on the crooked shaft part way into the hole.

Just goin' along and learning the hard way...but I bet I don't do this again.

BB

2/22/2015 4:43 PM  #13

been there done that.

you can get a telescoping pencil thin magnet from most autp parts stores to lift it out with.

you can get a psair of 3 sided grippers [not 4 sided] to grip it with for installation.

if it drops, i may po into the pan.

you can sand the end of the points on the rod that goes into the distributor a little then lake sure it falls out of the distributor easily so if you have to remove it again, it will not fall out.

you can also tape a thinwall mnedium length socket or longer to an extension then put a neo magnet on the end of the extension and put the oil pump drive in the socket and see if the maknet holds it well enough . . if it does, install it with that then simply remove the magnet before removing the extension.

the cam gear must be the correct material for the cam you are running or it will junk your cam.

trick flow cams are steel.

Last edited by barnett468 (2/22/2015 4:49 PM)

2/22/2015 5:33 PM  #14

barnett468 wrote:

been there done that.

you can get a telescoping pencil thin magnet from most autp parts stores to lift it out with.

you can get a psair of 3 sided grippers [not 4 sided] to grip it with for installation.

if it drops, i may po into the pan.

you can sand the end of the points on the rod that goes into the distributor a little then lake sure it falls out of the distributor easily so if you have to remove it again, it will not fall out.

you can also tape a thinwall mnedium length socket or longer to an extension then put a neo magnet on the end of the extension and put the oil pump drive in the socket and see if the maknet holds it well enough . . if it does, install it with that then simply remove the magnet before removing the extension.

the cam gear must be the correct material for the cam you are running or it will junk your cam.

trick flow cams are steel.

Thanks Barnett.  I was gonna try to re-seat it in the OP before pulling the pan but may pull it anyway to adjust the "stopper".  Then again, I think I will try to re-seat the OP drive shaft and then see if there is some way to raise the "stopper" closer to the bottom of the dizzy guide boss without pulling the pan...I think custom tool time is here.  I appreciate the help and tips to get it back in place. 

The gear is steel and has 16K on a stock roller cam.

BB

2/22/2015 5:38 PM  #15

barnett468 wrote:

Had to Google Neo mangnet.  Thats a great tip and procedure...thanks much.

BB

2/22/2015 5:45 PM  #16

Bullet Bob wrote:

barnett468 wrote:

Had to Google Neo mangnet.  Thats a great tip and procedure...thanks much.

BB

no prob, yeah those things are pretty handy and pretty cheap these days.

2/22/2015 6:31 PM  #17

One trick to install the distributor is to drop it in the hole lined up with where you want the rotor to point and if it drops in then you were lucky! If you weren't lucky, while lightly pressing down on the distributor rotor turn the rotor in the direction it would move when pulling the distributor (as if disengaging the cam gear/moving upward), letting the distributor rise up, mesh into the next set of teeth and drop back down (if I remember it is CCW). Keep doing this until the distributor aligns with the oil pump shaft (the most I have had to go around was twice) and drops down into place. Now do the same trick with backing it out while pressing down on the rotor and let it drop into place in each position until the rotor is pointing where you want it.

Strange but it works every time for me.

3/09/2015 6:19 PM  #18

Okay....dizzy is back in and it runs again.  Still has that weird woo-woo noise but at least I'm back to square one.   Barnett made a couple of suggestions for grabbing the OP drive and getting it back into the proper hole.  I tried his maggot...ah, magnet idea but even with ten 1/2 X 1/4 neo magnets stacked on the end of my 1/4" X 6" extension it wouldn't lift the shaft.  So I ordered a three wire claw type "grabber".  So they sent a four wire one.  Oh well, it did the job.

So thanks to all who offered suggestions.  The OP shaft had lifted with the dizzy and fell back down along side the OP drive thingie.  That put the OP shaft at an angle and when I tried to seat the dizzy it would bind and not seat....thank goodness, this could have been dis--oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--ter-us.

Now, if anyone has any idea what this sttrange higher pitched woooooooo noise is I'd love to hear it.  Coming from the right valve cover.  Sounds like a wet finger making laps around the edge of the cover...like on a drinking glass.  The AFR heads are new and have pushrod guide plates.  The new rockers are Scorpion rollers.  The timing set has 16K on it like all the bottom end and it never made this noise before.  Cam is a Comp 266 so there is a lot more lift than before but I can't think why that would make this niose.   I pulled the valve covers and can see no indication of any rocker contact.  I've been thinking maybe pushrod to guide plate noise or maybe a vacuum leak on one or more of the right side ports.  Next 'speriment will be to run it with the valve cover off and an old cheepie chrome one with it's top cut on there.  If that don't tell me anything...well, I hope it makes it to Texas.

Dunno....do you?

Thanks,

BB

3/09/2015 6:24 PM  #19

sure glad you're over your "dizzy spell" BB.......

post a picture of your engine config....especially the right side......we'll try to help "you-you" get rid of your "woo-woo".....

3/09/2015 6:55 PM  #20

you can take a cell phone video of the spound and post it on you tube.

you can plug all the vacuum lines and see if thats it.

you can leave them plugged then spray flammable contact cleaner with the long narrow nozzle gently at the carb base and intake where it meets the head.

3/09/2015 6:58 PM  #21

Had the same thing happen to me BB back a long time ago.  Whoever built the engine didn't put that Round clip on the oil pump shaft. When I pulled out the Distributer there went the oil pump shaft in the oil pan.  What a PIA.  
Sounds like the same noise in my engine.  Do you have a way of taking a video and posting it BB?  Might help Dx it.
Glad its running for you.

Steve69

3/09/2015 7:59 PM  #22

Yup, testing for a manny vac leak is on the agenda.  I will try to shoot a vid with sound but I'm not sure it will pick up the sound.  Various guys have heard it but I seem to hear it more than most...and I can't hear myself, well, you know...thought for I while I had quit doing that but Jean assures me I haven't.  Anyway, I'll try tomorrow. 

Also...It only does it when it warms up a bit...that any help?

BB

3/09/2015 8:02 PM  #23

Steve69 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me BB back a long time ago.  Whoever built the engine didn't put that Round clip on the oil pump shaft. When I pulled out the Distributer there went the oil pump shaft in the oil pan.  What a PIA.  
Sounds like the same noise in my engine.  Do you have a way of taking a video and posting it BB?  Might help Dx it.
Glad its running for you.

Steve69

Yeah Steve...whoever built my engine didn't push the little thingie up near the guide boss like he was 'sposed to do.  Hmmmm, if I ever find him...

You say your's makes a similar noise?  Bring it to the bash and we'll have a jug band.  That's what it sounds like.

BB

3/09/2015 8:53 PM  #24

Bob, is your cam the Comp XE266?   I understand the Xtreme Energy camshafts tend to be a bit noisy because of the "extreme" ramp rates.  

jerry

3/09/2015 9:37 PM  #25

jerryF wrote:

Bob, is your cam the Comp XE266?   I understand the Xtreme Energy camshafts tend to be a bit noisy because of the "extreme" ramp rates.  

Yes...that probably accounts for the valve train hash, or at least some of it.  This engine has always had noisy valve gear, in my opinion.  Always got a bit hashy when warm.  Never did figure out why.   The cam was used but roller cams just don't wear from what I read, and the lifters were new.

Don't know, it was just noisy and now it's even a bit worse.  Butt (TS&T) that shouldn't have anything to do with the Jug-band sound.

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.