FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2015 9:22 AM  #51

Re: Rear end

Hey Ultrastang, nice work! Did you paint your axle shaft? I thought about doing so, but I was afraid eventually in time it would degrade and leave a bunch of paint residue in the diff housing? 

One last question, I was about to put my case back together and was told by a friend that I would be better off getting new nuts>? He said they were tapered nuts, and that re-using the old ones might not have as good as a grip, he also thought I might want to use some flat washers and some lock tight....

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

7/14/2015 2:29 PM  #52

Make sure you use the good softer copper washers. Some guys are selling harder washers, but you need them to form a seal.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/18/2015 6:05 AM  #53

The nuts in theory are one time use.  That being said, I've reused them many times and never had an issue.  The copper washers, if in good shape, can be re-annealed with a propane torch.  Just heat them up and let them cool naturallly.  If you need new washers you can likely use this trick on them too. 

7/18/2015 1:37 PM  #54

devovino wrote:

Hey Ultrastang, nice work! Did you paint your axle shaft? I thought about doing so, but I was afraid eventually in time it would degrade and leave a bunch of paint residue in the diff housing? 

One last question, I was about to put my case back together and was told by a friend that I would be better off getting new nuts>? He said they were tapered nuts, and that re-using the old ones might not have as good as a grip, he also thought I might want to use some flat washers and some lock tight....

Yes, I painted the axles after I bead blasted them. I masked off the splines and the polished journals where the axle bearings/retainers are pressed on, so that those surfaces wouldn't get etched. --you could just blast the wheel flanges of the axles.

I sprayed the axles with gray primer and then a top coat of Dupli-Color Cast Coat Iron p/n DE1651. It's resistant to 500° and also oil and gas resistant. The axles get splashed with gear oil but, they don't stay constantly submerged in oil.

There are various sources to get new 3/8" I.D. copper crush washers but, here's just one such supplier.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3241

The (10) 3/8"-24 3rd member-to-housing nuts are prevailing torque lock nuts. Prevailing torque lock nuts are typically good for (5) cycles before you should discard them. I have used nylock nuts before with absolutely zero problems. If you feel better replacing the stock lock nuts with the equivalent new ones, then do so.

7/19/2015 9:42 AM  #55

Perfect, thanks for the feedback!  will probably just re-use the original nuts, they are in good shape and I just cleaned them up wtih a wire wheel,( like I have been doing with any hardware I re use) after soaking them in break cleaner. As for the washers, when I took it apart there was not washers to begin with, so I will look into getting some "copper crush washers" to put back in. Onward and upward!

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

7/19/2015 10:51 AM  #56

If the crush washers were not there, it means someone has had the 3rd member out of the housing, since the time the rear end was assembled at the factory.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.