FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2015 11:37 PM  #1

Horn Issues Kentucky mustang 15" wood steering wheel

Guys I've got the standard copy of the Cobra wood steering wheel from Kentucky mustang and the Horn works and shorts when it wants to ,for the most part when horn is pressed all I get is a very faint noise and my lights dimming?

I've taken the horn button out tested everything horn sounds as should be but soon as I put plastic centre back on horn that's where my problem starts? Anyone had similar issues with horn button /Contacts

P.s if I install my original steering wheel horn works each and every time with no issues,so I know all grounds and wiring,horns are fine

Thanks in Advance 

Jimmy O

3/07/2015 12:56 AM  #2

Re: Horn Issues Kentucky mustang 15" wood steering wheel

Sounds a lot like a Grant wheel.  The horn mechanism is crap.  The horn honks when driving and the center cap pops off.  I got rid of mine and several others have too.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/07/2015 1:10 AM  #3

yup, sounds like the grant syndrome for sure . . a new one from a different mfg might work.

3/07/2015 7:55 AM  #4

Jimmy, you obviously have a partial short to ground in the steering wheel hub/horn button assembly.  You may have a wire pinched or something on the cold (switched) side of the horn button is touching ground.  It's impossible to fix from here but that's what you need to be looking for. 

Just for your info, the horn power comes from the headlight switch via a yellow wire (#460) to the column.  The horn button applies this to a dark blue wire which goes out to the horns or a horn relay if you have installed one.  So, your problem is in the switch (button) mechanism or a pinch to ground on the blue wire.  If the yellow wire were pinched, the headlight circuit breaker in the HL switch would be tripping and resetting constantly...ask 6Sally6 how we know this.

This won't help your present problem but once you get it sorted out you may want to consider my suggested horn wiring mod which will prevent things like this from affecting your lights and other circuits.  It requires installing a horn relay and a simple wire mod under the dash.  I've posted it many times for others but if you shoot me an email I'll 'splain it to you.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/08/2015 8:56 AM  #5

I've been having the same Grant horn issue for past 6 mo.!  Thought it was fixed until I took the car for inspection and horn got stuck again. Luckily they still put a sticker on it.  Been riding w/out horn last 2 mos.

3/08/2015 1:28 PM  #6

Turn sig cam isn't making proper contact

3/08/2015 1:47 PM  #7

I"ll check it again, but I did replace it with a new one?

3/08/2015 3:17 PM  #8

Something else to check besides Bullet's excellent advice...

The two horn contacts that are part of the turn signal switch are spring loaded and must make complete contact with the steering wheel or the steering wheel adapter.  When you install an aftermarket adapter, it might not make good contact with those two spring loaded contacts due to a different installed height.  You need to look through the gap between the adapter and the steering column tube/upper housing to see if they are touching properly.  They should be slightly compressed, but not totally compressed.  That gap can be adjusted by sliding the steering column tube up or down on the column shaft.  To do so, loosen the two 1/2" hex nuts that attach the steering column to the bottom of the dashboard.  Slide the tube upward to tighten the gap or downward to loosen it.
And lube those contacts as well.  If you do not have any wires grounded out, this is usually the culprit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/09/2015 9:06 PM  #9

Yeah I did notice the steering tube was a little too far gapped, so I did bring it up like MS suggested, but It didnt fix it.  I have to check into the yellow wire like BB said.

3/10/2015 2:16 PM  #10

Ozblitz wrote:

I"ll check it again, but I did replace it with a new one?

Get a small light and then engage the horn and see if there coming in contact. Also it maybe unlikely but I have seen where if you have a click sound when pressing the horn but no blow.  Then it can be a faulty relay

Last edited by True74yamaha (3/10/2015 2:18 PM)

3/10/2015 4:05 PM  #11

I too have had horn problems to the point that I am ready to buy a new steering wheel.  with the wheel off, I can jump the 2 spring loaded contacts and the horn works fine.

What are your recommendations for a new steering wheel?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

3/10/2015 5:12 PM  #12

Jimmy, did you get the Lecarra wheel?
  If so, for a 300 buck wheel Kentucky Mustang should offer some type of support.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/10/2015 8:27 PM  #14

You must not be making connection simple enough... Either steering wheel is to tight or to loose and not torqued to specs and it's not coming in contact.

3/11/2015 11:47 AM  #15

Grant wheel like that one is easy to modify for stock return cam on it, and the horn buttons from the premium series wheels can be adapted to it.  That is same wheel I have.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.