FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2013 9:58 PM  #51

Re: Well what do you guys think of the new forum???

Not a happy camper! What most everybody else said......guess I'll get use-tuit!
Now that I've had time to "try-out" the new format I've come to the conclusion...it REALLY suck!
Just glad I have a bunch of you-guyz phone numbers.
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (4/01/2013 10:14 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/01/2013 11:46 PM  #52

I know change is awkward at first
And thanks to Steve for all the effort
But have to say to busy for me and prefer old one

4/02/2013 5:04 AM  #53

Thanks, MS. The most recent changes are nice!. Thanks for all the effort you and Daze put into this. I think you have another winner here!

4/02/2013 7:15 AM  #54

I liked the old one a lot, but I suppose I'll get used to this one. I do like the blue instead of white background.

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

4/02/2013 1:09 PM  #55

I hate it.  Some of the features are nice BUT

Hhaving to sign up again is an inconvenience. 
Having to type all those anti-spammer images before I can post, even when I'm signed in, is unnecessary and a huge nuisance. 
Having to be registered to post something on the Swap Meet is very unfriendly.

Losing all the history from the other board is unacceptable.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/02/2013 1:44 PM  #56

Those are all valid points and I am really glad you brought them up.

John Ha wrote:

Having to sign up again is an inconvenience. 

You are absolutely correct it is an inconvenience.  For most not a big deal, but I can see where you are coming from you already signed up for the old forum, so signing up again is has the inconvenience of some extra steps.

John Ha wrote:

Having to type all those anti-spammer images before I can post, even when I'm signed in, is unnecessary and a huge nuisance.

Unfortunately there are a lot of spammers out there so measures like that are necessary.  The good news is they go away after you have made several posts (not sure the specific number of posts)  It is a pain in the beginning but it helps keep the spammers off the forum, and is not something you must deal with for very long.

John Ha wrote:

Having to be registered to post something on the Swap Meet is very unfriendly.

Your point of vew makes sense, but how many people are posting on the swap meet that are not already members of the forum?  Probably not very many.   An issue of not requiring sign up is what is to stop some one with a scam in mind from posting using my name your name or any other reputable forum members name.  Now by requiring them to sign up they can only post under their own name. Also there have been some issues on the old swap meet page recently with some scammers trying to take advantage of forum members so by requiring people to sign up maybe we can eliminate some of that.

John Ha wrote:

Losing all the history from the other board is unacceptable.

Agreed that would be unacceptable.  That is why the old forum is linked from the new forum so it can be easily accessed and searched.  

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/02/2013 2:32 PM  #57

But the whole purpose behind having us log in is to prevent spammers.  So why is it necessary to have us make 6 attempts to decipher the stupid illegible letters if we're already logged in?

As far as the swap meet is concerned, we never before had to be logged in as users to post an ad.  I still think it's unfriendly, unless your intent is to prevent spammers.  If that is the case, then see my first point above.

And if the old board is not going away, why is it necessary to do this?  I honestly don't see the rationale for it.  It's change for the sake of change, not because it's something that benefits the users.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/02/2013 2:44 PM  #58

John Ha wrote:

But the whole purpose behind having us log in is to prevent spammers.  So why is it necessary to have us make 6 attempts to decipher the stupid illegible letters if we're already logged in?

There are people who get paid to spam.  Most forums require registration so they go there and set up an account.  They get paid by the number of spams so speed = $$  They want to just get in, cut, paste, post, and move on.  If they have to do extra steps its not worth their time so they move on with out spamming.  Again it will go away after a specific # of posts.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/02/2013 4:16 PM  #59

John Ha wrote:

It's change for the sake of change, not because it's something that benefits the users.

I couldn't disagree more.  Being a viewer of many forums, I only visited the old MS site once or twice a week because of the extraordinarily clumsy interface requiring that every post be individually opened, and never being really sure what replies were supposed to go with what posts. 

In this vastly impoved forum, we can now scroll down the threads as fast as we can read, and, with the quoting feature, thread progression make so much more sense than it used to.

I generally hate change, but I'm thrilled with this new version.

John

Last edited by John (4/02/2013 4:17 PM)

4/02/2013 4:21 PM  #60

What is this about having to copy the funky letters every time one posts a picture?  I have not had to do that at all...  I don't know if that is something I can turn off or not, but will look into it.  It was certainly not my intent to have to do that when posting.

Be sure you are fully logged in and not as GUEST.

Picture posted here is me testing the system to see if I have to do anything other than click ADD TO POST.  Picture was successfully loaded with no issues.  Not sure if that is because I am an admin or what, but we need to figure out why that is being required.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/02/2013 4:23 PM  #61

This one was added with a URL from another site.  Still no issues.  What ever happened to Arjan, anyway???  Anyone heard from him?  He used to participate from the Netherlands.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/02/2013 4:31 PM  #62

AFAIK Arjan is alive and well and living with his family outside Göteborg, Sweden. He might have got a little sidetracked by house owning and raising a family...

4/02/2013 4:53 PM  #63

MustangSteve wrote:

What is this about having to copy the funky letters every time one posts a picture?  I have not had to do that at all...  I don't know if that is something I can turn off or not, but will look into it.  It was certainly not my intent to have to do that when posting.

You and I do not have to deal with it because the system assumes that the admin and moderator are not going to spam their own forum.  For the average user, like I said before once they have made enough posts, Im thinking it is 10, they should never have to type in those goofey letters again.

4/02/2013 8:13 PM  #64

It is OK. Glad to leave spammers in our rearvoew mirrors.  However, one thing that I did like was being able to view the whole thread, so that I didn't have to scroll through each response box by box....especially with a mobile device...aka not so smart phone, etc.  I hope we can incorporate that element.

4/02/2013 8:21 PM  #65

Kind of getting used tuit. I liked the old fourm where it showed what had been read in different shade. Takes a little longer to scroll down through all the posts to get to the last one. Is there a way to change the list I see to have the last post in a thread come up first? I think the post that MS started about tell us about your car should be in the index. Kind of nice to read about others cars and where they started from. I'll get around to telling about my 67 when I can find my pics back.

Last edited by Alan (4/02/2013 8:23 PM)

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/02/2013 8:37 PM  #66

Alan wrote:

I liked the old fourm where it showed what had been read in different shade. Takes a little longer to scroll down through all the posts to get to the last one. Is there a way to change the list I see to have the last post in a thread come up first?

Threads with new posts will be in bold then click on the "go to new posts" to go to the nw posts in a thread sense the last time you were there.  Check out the thread Forum use 101: finding new posts for more info

4/02/2013 9:46 PM  #67

I hate it.  It sucks.  sorry but it does. 

1) I can't follow the train of thought.  the old forum, with the indentations to the main poster of a thread, and the sub replies that were indented again, i could easily follow a train of thought, now i have to read thru 3 pages of replies.

2) too much wasted space.  each post is like 3 inches high which is why this thread is already 3 pages long. 

3) I can't peruse all the threads quickly and see all of MS's responses. I have no idea which threads he's responded to, unless I peruse all of the pages of the thread. before i could quickly expand the thread, see that MS has reponded to the this particular thread, and ready his reponses only so that I can learn something. 

4) it  looks like every other forum now. it will blend into all the other white noise mustang websites now.  I can't remember if i read something off of VMF or MustangMonthly, or FoxResto,  but i can easily remember if I read it off of mustangsteve because its the only forum that looked different. This website is going to blend into the same lump of other mustang sites out there and get lost.

5) its lost its small intimate charm and classic style.  I felt like part of a small group even though there are thousands of members.  It didn't take long to see the common posters and the people that surfaced to the top of the knowledge heap of a particular subject matter.  Its going to harder this way to get to know people, and thier strongsuit with this type of forum. I have gotten to know BB for EFI, Mr tim for electrical, Ultrastang for trans and rears,  Phil for differentials, 6sally6 for camshafts, and Jamesw for his cluster diagrams, etc.  Now, people are only going to read the threads that interest them, and move on, and will never get to know PEOPLE intimately anymore. 

6) Its just UNNECESSARY.   nothing wrong with the old forum. If it aint broke, don't fix it.  It was EASY to manuever, EASY to find.  Easy to get a quick glimpse of all the hot topics of the day, and what people I haven't heard from in months are back making replies again. 

HATE THIS NEW SETUP. 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

4/02/2013 10:11 PM  #68

I think it is great.Thanks for all the effort to make it.
I haven't seen the 'spell check', is there one?

'69 Q  CODE

4/03/2013 8:08 AM  #69

boomyal wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I really, really, really hate those "verification" words that have to be typed in, GRRRRR!

I have not experienced that with either Photo Uploading Application.  When does it occur?

every time I have posted a picture, which is about three times now in this new forum.

I get the verification requirement after the picture post  preview as well.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/03/2013 11:56 AM  #70

I with MarkinSC.  I hate the new format. 
Too much space used for formatting.  Ref my previous post on this subject.
Too difficult  to follow a thread.  In the old site I could go into any thread at any point and move back and forth thru the earlier and later postings and see what pertained to what.  Can't do that easily now.  I could easily respond on one specific sub-thread, and it would show in the file structure. one could easily tell who was responding to what.
His last point fits my belief totally.  The new format is unnessary.
I appreciate the discussion on spammers and agree that something should be done to minimize their posting.  Why can't that logic be incorporated into the old system?
Lastly, I am finding that I am spending much less time each day on this site.  I have been a member since around 2000 and it has been the first priority to look at each day.  Now I find my interest waning since I cannot follow the threads as easily as I used to.  I look at virtually no other sites because they are too difficult to follow.  I hope my interest does not wane to the point of non-attendance.  I'll hang in there for a while, but no promises.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/03/2013 7:30 PM  #71

lowercasesteve wrote:

I look at virtually no other sites because they are too difficult to follow.  I hope my interest does not wane to the point of non-attendance.  I'll hang in there for a while, but no promises.

The new forum has had an opposite effect on me.  I read a lot of forums, and the old MS forum was unique in it's clumsiness.  If MS or Daze kept track of such things, they'll find that I would check this site once or twice a week at the most.

Since the changeover, I've been here twice a day.  I have a feeling traffic and membership will increase over time.

John

4/03/2013 7:41 PM  #72

I just wish I could post a pic.   I go through the process and for some reason it wont move the link of my picture to my post.   Why wont it work?  Im logged in.  I've tried from my work and home computer.

Steve69

4/03/2013 7:43 PM  #73

4/03/2013 7:44 PM  #74

It did work but I had to do word verification.

4/03/2013 9:33 PM  #75

looks good to me so far. easy enough to use.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.