FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2013 4:26 PM  #1

9 inch install in 65 fastback

Well I finished my 9inch install into my 65 fastback...thanks to Steve (ultrastang) as I had read on his site
A few years ago that a 57 ford passenger car rear would fit...kept in back of my head and saw a housing
On cl here in nw Arkansas for 100.00. Then found a traction loc pumpkin for 300.00 with 3:50 gears..
Welded on Calvert racing spring perches....a nice big race car style fill plug and had to shorten
Driveshaft another 3/4 inch and presto!

An interesting experience...the third member had sat for unknown amount of time....I test drove today
And the rear would barely allow a turn or back up...I used Lucas synthetic gear lube says no additive
Needed....hmmmm....locker worked great in a straight line however corners another issue rear was nearly frozen I added the limited slip additive after a few miles and a few  burnouts and all is well. I'm guessing if a locker rear sits for a long time out of fluid the
Clutch discs get bound up (rust, corrosion?) ....anyway...regardless of what the gear oil says use
A modifier....easiest upgrade I ever did....detailed to the max......

Last edited by Gemdiam (5/18/2013 7:41 PM)

5/18/2013 6:10 PM  #2

Re: 9 inch install in 65 fastback

Soiunds like you got your U-Joint problem straightened out, and got a nice 9 under your Stang.  Good job.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

5/18/2013 7:36 PM  #3

Re: 9 inch install in 65 fastback

Yeah....the fix for the ujoint is there is no fix in terms of a u joint alone it  is an 1100 series in my early 65 fastback v8 2v car....so fix is to cut off the driveshaft yoke at rear and install a 1310 series....then use a combo 1310/1330 joint....a 1330 series rear yoke won't fit the diameter of my early driveshaft....the shortening, yoke and balancing was only 85.00.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.