FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2015 12:08 PM  #1

70 Sports Roof Brake Conversion

Hi Everyone,
This is my 1st post to Steve's forum.
I have a 70 Sportsroof that started life as a 302-2bl with an automatic. At sometime through the 3 owners, it was converted to a Boss Tribute, but with a 351Cleveland and toploader 4sp.  Pretty nice conversion, not chopped up.
I want to upgrade the front brakes from drum to disc. All original as is.  I have been reading many of the posts on the forum and trading messages with Steve. I have not found a Post that leans toward a 70.  I plan on using Steve's booster, brake pedal and proportioning valve. I have been researching using SSBC or MPB brake kit with the Master Cylinder and re-plumbing the brake lines. 
My question is about the pedal assembly and removal for the modifications. I plan on removing the drivers seat for easier access, my back does not like double jointed positioning.
Do I have to remove the steering column ?
What actually has to be removed to get the pedal assemby out ?
Oh yea, the engine is in the car and I do not plan on removing.
Has anyone posted a How To directions on where to start, which steps ? 
As with other projects, if you do step 3 before step 1, it complicates matters.
What experience has anyone had with SSBC and or MPB ?
I like ask questions and learn from others experiences and projects.  maybe I won't create my own errors by learning.

thanks
Gerald

9/29/2015 1:07 PM  #2

Re: 70 Sports Roof Brake Conversion

As far as I know if your just upgrading the booster and changing to a disc brake pedal, then the pedal support doesnt need to be removed. I installed the kit from Steve awhile back on my '67 a few months ago.

9/29/2015 1:08 PM  #3

I meant adding a booster and pedal

9/29/2015 1:27 PM  #4

I think you do need to loosen the pedal assembly...  I remember having the pedal assembly in and having to loosen it and probably pull it back some on my Mach 1 to install the booster ...booster and m/c go in as a unit..but with the seat out should be alot easier...just do what you need to do and you will be the new go to guy....jj 

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

9/29/2015 2:44 PM  #5

In discussion with Steve, the pedal assembly should come out, as I have to drill out the additional hole and enlarge the Power Booster entrance for clearance.  I saw other posts where it wasn't drilled and the brakes did not work properly.
I was hoping someone had already done a step by step write up or video.
If this was my main job or only job, then time would not be a factor. Unfortunately, like most, I have a everyday 8-6 job.  So, working on my stang is weekend therapy.

9/29/2015 2:59 PM  #6

I drilled out my holes and enlarged my center hole without removing the pedal support as I didnt know you needed to.

9/29/2015 3:57 PM  #7

His is complicated by having to remove the original non-power brake pedal and you have to remove the clutch pedal to do it.
It has been so long since I worked on this on a 70 that I don't remember the details of what all had to come out.  So, hoping someof you guys have more recent experience.  The clutch pedal is the complicating issue.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/29/2015 5:13 PM  #8

Welcome to the forum Gerald. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the column needs to be removed to replace the pedal support. I can't remember if the column will drop enough after the 4 bolts attaching the seal at the firewall are removed.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/29/2015 11:41 PM  #9

As to SSBC vs MPB - Both are reputable firms.   You should not have any problems with either. 

I have used SSBC extensively over the years as I had the K-H front disks on my '66.  SSBC's were exact duplicates of stock.  I use their rear disk brake kit, and it is the same as the '84 SVO/Lincoln - bolted right up to my 8" with their mounts.  Their kits use stock Ford parts.  (I assume the drum spindle is the same as the disk spindle - some are the same and some are different. I don't know about '70's).

I have found their tech support adequate, but not outstanding.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/30/2015 6:17 AM  #10

I went the Other way on my Mach. Power to Manual and added a 3rd pedal. The Steering Column ws never taken out of the car and I believe the only reason I took out the Pedal assembly was for a Repairing of the bushing, used the weld in Roller Bearing ones from Steve. If those are not an issue the Clutch and Brake pedal can be removed, definately easier with the Front Seat out... And removing the Pedal Assembly is not that difficult either, but again not needed for a Pedal change.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

9/30/2015 7:50 AM  #11

The 70 drum spindle is very popular (rarer and pricey) these days for disc conversions. It is visually bigger/stronger than the 69. The disc/drum spindles are completely different.  

9/30/2015 10:24 AM  #12

His car already has 70 drum spindles.

He will have to drill out the swedged, threaded inserts in the front flanges of the pedal support, where the MC and two other attaching bolts now reside.  This is so the booster studs have a hole they can fit through.  With a Cleveland in place, it will be easier to just remove the pedal support and do it on the workbench.  At the same time, my ballbearing shaft kit can be installed.

This is not a difficult task to remove the pedal support.  It just requires that you remove everything bolted to it before you can unbolt it from the car.  Steering column removal is not required, but you WILL be unbolting the column from the bottom of the dash/pedal support.  It is tedious, but just use some common sense and start unbolting stuff.  If you are not confident you will ever get it back together, take lots of pictures as you go.

Tip:  In order to reinstall the override spring in your clutch pedal, do it with the support out of the car.  Simply push the clutch pedal as if you were pushing it 6" farther forward than it can possibly go when bolted in the car.  The spring will drop right in.  Then pull the pedal back against the pedal stop and install the assembly.  Be careful, as that spring will force the pedal to move forcefully in both directions once it cams over center.  Keep your fingers out of the way.  The override spring is removed in the same manner.  Just push the pedal forward. The spring CAN be done with the pedal in the car.  I did it once and will never do it again. Took forever and learned an entire new vocabulary in the process.

9/30/2015 5:58 PM  #13

The Steering column: do you know if it has to be unbolted from the floor/firewall plate as well ?
Clutch pedal override spring: that gets done with it bolted to the firewall for removal and re-installation?
The clutch pedal lever to the Z bar under the hood is held by the 90deg pivot arm and a cotter pin.  The rubber boot needs to be replaced as it is torn. So, that will be coming out as well.
If you will never do the spring in the car again, is there another suggestion ?
I will add your ball bearing shaft kit to my parts for you.
thanks

9/30/2015 9:31 PM  #14

The spring is installed with the pedal assembly out of the car as I described.  It is real easy that way.  You cannot easily do it in the car because you cannot push the clutch pedal through the floor as required.

10/01/2015 6:36 AM  #15

i removed that Big A$* Spring... Doesn't seem to bother anything....

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

10/01/2015 7:50 AM  #16

Mach1_Ron I sent you a pm.

10/01/2015 7:56 AM  #17

Thanks Steve and Ron,  I am confident I can do this, just time consuming, slow and steady.
I will try to get the car on support stands this weekend, start draining the brake lines, so I can start taking it apart.
Does the 'ball bearing shaft kit' get welded in or bolted in on the pedal assembly?  I don't do welding.

10/01/2015 3:43 PM  #18

The bearing shaft kit requires welding.  There are kits that do not weld on, but they all use the 5/8" shaft on your clutch pedal as their inner race where mine has its own hardened race,  The shaft is softer than a bearing race and will wear quickly, plus most shafts are not in perfect shape to work as a bearing race.  My sealed bearing kit solves all those problems but, like alot of my stuff, is more difficult to install.  I refuse to sacrifice quality or function for the sake of easy installation.  Its the old DO IT RIGHT OR DO IT OVER thing. 

Alot of guys send their pedal assembly to me to be professionally built for their exact needs so there is no guesswork going on with a part that is very tedious to remove and reinstall.

10/01/2015 7:52 PM  #19

then that may be the way I have to go.  So this bearing shaft is where the brake pedal goes at the top of the pedal assembly ?
Another question about the clutch spring?  Does that have to come out because the brake pedal and clutch pedal are mounted on the same pivot point ?

if I have you do the bearing shaft, do I need to disassemble or just send the entire unit as is?  would you then mount the new brake pedal ?

10/01/2015 9:05 PM  #20

The bearings go on the clutch pedal shaft, which is made onto the clutch pedal. The current brake pedal swings from that shaft, but that brake pedal goes away and the power brake pedal pivots from a 3/8" bolt about 3" higher in the pedal support. 

You have to remove the spring before the clutch pedal can be removed to get the old brake pedal out.
You can ship it to me as an assembly or disassembled. I get them both ways, but it will save money on shipping to do it disassembled so it can go in a smaller box. That is the way it will be when I ship it back to you. I carefully assemble it so I know everything fits properly, then disassemble it for shipping.

10/03/2015 1:56 AM  #21

MustangSteve wrote:

His car already has 70 drum spindles.

Yep. However since lowercasesteve posted:

"Their kits use stock Ford parts.  (I assume the drum spindle is the same as the disk spindle - some are the same and some are different. I don't know about '70's)."

I thought the thread could use some clarification for those unfamiliar with 69 and 70 spindles.

10/09/2015 7:13 PM  #22

Ok, now I am more confused than ever. I had been researching kits with SSB and MPB. Another thread reported finding S10 Blazer calipers. I spoke with SSB and their MC will not bolt up to an OE booster, which I was planning. I also found out that the lead time for these kits is 3/4 weeks. I talked to Classic Tube about lines and they said they have a complete kit, brakes, booster, rotors, pedal, etc and complete lines.
Has anyone had any experience with them?
I really don't want to piece meal parts from multiple companies.
One way or the other, the car is up on stands, wheels off and I will start taking the front drums off and drain the lines this weekend

10/09/2015 7:54 PM  #23

ggugert wrote:

Ok, now I am more confused than ever. I had been researching kits with SSB and MPB. Another thread reported finding S10 Blazer calipers. I spoke with SSB and their MC will not bolt up to an OE booster, which I was planning. I also found out that the lead time for these kits is 3/4 weeks. I talked to Classic Tube about lines and they said they have a complete kit, brakes, booster, rotors, pedal, etc and complete lines.
Has anyone had any experience with them?
I really don't want to piece meal parts from multiple companies.
One way or the other, the car is up on stands, wheels off and I will start taking the front drums off and drain the lines this weekend

Sounds like the Scarebird set-up(talking about the S-10 calipers) I  went that route and they stop the car good.
IF I would ever do it again...I would just get the stuff from MustangSteve. His set-up is good...and its all FoMoCo,(I think) and the price difference it small. I just had the brackets I bought from another Mustanger.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/19/2015 6:36 PM  #24

Been over a week since the last post.
This weekend got the brake lines free, front seat out for easier acceess to the pedal assembly.  Steve, you were right, just keep taking things off until it comes free. All the connections to the pedal assembly came off, master cylinder, pedals removed and the pedal assembly bracket, finally out.  With the steering column in, there is no way to remove the pedal assembly intact.
Pedal assembly and bearing repair is next.
Steve, I sent you a PM.
Gerald

10/19/2015 7:13 PM  #25

Well that's good news Gerald. Let us know how it turns out, but I believe we'll hear from you before it's done

Bob

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.