FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2015 7:32 AM  #1

varying voltage

Can vary in voltage affect performance or gas mileage?

10/23/2015 9:51 AM  #2

Re: varying voltage

13james13 wrote:

Can vary in voltage affect performance or gas mileage?

Yes...if it is significant and is drastically affectng spark voltage output.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/23/2015 11:25 AM  #3

yes, but more details where are you seeing the issue ? what got you to check it ? 

YES voltage fluctuation can also fry wires.. as to do the same amount of work, low voltage means high current. High current means heat, heat means FRY 

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

10/23/2015 1:17 PM  #4

From my original oil gauge, new sending unit.
Oil pressure varies.  Sometimes gauge is a little over halfway, sometimes its under halfway. Sometimes gauge slowly moves in the morning, other times it moves quicker. I'm told it could be caused by varying voltage which prompted the question of performance and gas mileage. Thanks for your input. It runs pretty good. Think I should I get a new voltage regulator anyway?
James

Last edited by 13james13 (10/23/2015 8:56 PM)

10/23/2015 8:53 PM  #5

Gaba wrote:

yes, but more details where are you seeing the issue ? what got you to check it ? 

YES voltage fluctuation can also fry wires.. as to do the same amount of work, low voltage means high current. High current means heat, heat means FRY 

Oil pressure varies.  Sometimes gauge is a little over halfway, sometimes its under halfway. Sometimes gauge slowly moves in the morning, other times it moves quicker. I'm told it could be caused by varying voltage which prompted the question of performance and gas mileage. Thanks for your input.
James

10/23/2015 10:27 PM  #6

Or, your oil pressure gauge is working normally. Oil pressure does fluctuate. Have you actually measured the instrument voltage? Bullet Bob, why don't you tell us how the instrument voltage regulator works.

10/24/2015 6:13 AM  #7

13james13 wrote:

Oil pressure varies. Sometimes gauge is a little over halfway, sometimes its under halfway. Sometimes gauge slowly moves in the morning, other times it moves quicker. I'm told it could be caused by varying voltage which prompted the question of performance and gas mileage. Thanks for your input. It runs pretty good. Think I should I get a new voltage regulator anyway?
James

There are two voltage regulators.  One that ties in with the alternator that provides the nominal 12V for the electrical system/battery charging and another regulator, the instrument voltage regulator (IVR), that provides a pulsing voltage of around 5 V to the gauges.  All the factory gauges, except for the ammeter, are powered by the IVR so if you are seeing abnormal behavior from one gauge and not the others, it's not the IVR.

Unless your other gauges are also acting oddly, the best way to determine what's going on is to use a mechanical gauge to measure the oil pressure (as already suggested).  It's really easy to do and will help you troublehoot the issue.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/24/2015 6:21 AM  #8

Hornman wrote:

Or, your oil pressure gauge is working normally. Oil pressure does fluctuate. Have you actually measured the instrument voltage? Bullet Bob, why don't you tell us how the instrument voltage regulator works.

Why you pickin' on me, Ron?  I been really good...sorta.  Just mindin' my own bidness.

Actually, the stock instrument regulator (CVR) works pretty much like a turn signal flasher.  Bi-metal strip causes a set of contacts to open  and close, turning 12v on and off.  It's engineered to put out an average voltage of around 6V or so and the stock instruments are damped to the point that you mostly don't see the voltage fluxuating from 12 to zero to 12 to zero....etc, etc.

James might try a solid state adjustable CVR and see if that helps.  Is this a cold engine vs hot engine condition?  Oil pressure will drop when things warm up.  And...if he's not seeing the same variation in the Fuel and Temp guages, I'd say it isn't related to voltage.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/24/2015 10:22 AM  #9

I agree w/John Ha & BB, this doesn't appear to be a voltage issue unless the other gauges are acting in the same manner.  I suggest installing a mechanical gauge with a 'tee' fitting at the engine so you can compare.  The thread size is a standard 1/4" NPT, fittings can are available at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/24/2015 1:00 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

I agree w/John Ha & BB, this doesn't appear to be a voltage issue unless the other gauges are acting in the same manner.  I suggest installing a mechanical gauge with a 'tee' fitting at the engine so you can compare.  The thread size is a standard 1/4" NPT, fittings can are available at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

I agree.  First verify where the issue lies; is it the pump or the guage?
I use a mechanical oil pressure guage that screws in place of the oil pressure sending unit above the fuel pump.  then I can directly monitor the pressure while under the hood.  And remember these windsors were designed to give 10 psi per 1000 rpm.  So, 20 psi at 2000 rpm, etc.  First warm up the engine, then just rev it in neutral and see what the guage shows.  Pressure should not fluctuate.

BTW:  I purchased my guage for like $20.  I may not have even needed to get an adaptor to make it fit.  It's been a while.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/24/2015 8:39 PM  #11

Thanks everyone. That's Good Help!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.