FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2015 4:07 PM  #1

This video is some great info on body panel alignment

10/31/2015 10:10 PM  #2

Re: This video is some great info on body panel alignment

He forgot the "hidden bolt" inside...behind the kick panels. Don't axe me how I know!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/31/2015 11:34 PM  #3

Had to do all of that by the seat of my pants back in the early 80's.  I had every removeable item off the car.  I prepped and painted them then had to re-assemble them.  To this day I am amazed that I got it all back together, in good alignment, without buggering anything/everything up.

Last edited by boomyal (10/31/2015 11:35 PM)

11/01/2015 11:56 AM  #4

Very good article that explains you have to start at the rear door gap before installing a fender. 

The thing he leaves out, though is that the HOOD has to be installed first so the fender gap can be aligned to the edge of the hood.
The hood has to go on before the fenders, and the rear gap at the hood/cowl line must be perfectly even across the car.  Only then can the fenders be aligned to the hood on each side.

If the door gaps are not properly attained, the hood will appear to be too short and not line up with the headlight doors.  I finally gave up trying to explain that to Mastercrap when they put my car back together.  They could not grasp the idea that the rear door gap would affect the way the hood fit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2015 12:39 PM  #5

6sally6 wrote:

He forgot the "hidden bolt" inside...behind the kick panels. Don't axe me how I know!!

Lol...stop saying axe me.hehehe

11/01/2015 6:26 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

Very good article that explains you have to start at the rear door gap before installing a fender. 

The thing he leaves out, though is that the HOOD has to be installed first so the fender gap can be aligned to the edge of the hood.
The hood has to go on before the fenders, and the rear gap at the hood/cowl line must be perfectly even across the car.  Only then can the fenders be aligned to the hood on each side.

If the door gaps are not properly attained, the hood will appear to be too short and not line up with the headlight doors.  I finally gave up trying to explain that to Mastercrap when they put my car back together.  They could not grasp the idea that the rear door gap would affect the way the hood fit.

It makes perfect sense to start with the hood reveal along the cowl. I probably wouldn't have thought about that but in the end that's the one joint that's going to make the  greatest reference point.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.