FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2015 10:45 AM  #26

Re: FItech Fuel injection anyone?

JSHarvey wrote:

I think the fuel sump is a great idea.  $400 bucks though seems a bit much.  What would it take to make a DIY one?  Maybe use a Ford Contour fuel pump and re-purpose a "catch can" type of container to hold the fuel. Is it doable?

Looks to me like a fancy application of what Glens65 5.0 came up with years ago.  Corky runs one on a Ford EEC-IV and it works fine...as long as the fuel tank isn't full of mung.   Right Corky?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/20/2015 11:07 AM  #27

JSHarvey wrote:

I think the fuel sump is a great idea.  $400 bucks though seems a bit much.  What would it take to make a DIY one?  Maybe use a Ford Contour fuel pump and re-purpose a "catch can" type of container to hold the fuel. Is it doable?

There are a few options out there.  I like the idea of the FITech item, although it may be a bit blingy for my taste.  Edelbrock has a similar idea at $565, that is plastic.  May not be the best solution in a crumple zone under the hood, but its fuel level is controlled by a float, needle & seat, like a carb.  It can be fed by the typical mechanical fuel pump.  I LIKE that idea.  Some options use dual fuel pumps, and if that low pressure pump constantly runs, due to a return type system, it may be prone to early retirement. 

I have (boxed up somewhere in the garage) a BC Broncos efi fuel canister solution, for WAAAAY less than $400.  It seemed to be a feasible item, so I picked one up a couple years ago when I was thinking efi for the 66.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=119

Last edited by TimC (11/20/2015 11:10 AM)

11/20/2015 11:20 PM  #28

OK, Don't kill me for this...

Take your old carb and mount it over there on the frame rail and run the old mechanical pump line to the carb as if it was still on the engine.  Then connect a hose from the bottom of the carb bowl to the HP fuel pump.  The needle/seat in the carb bowl will control the fuel level automatically, and heck, you were just going to stick that old carb on the shelf anyway.  MS $10 solution.

Even better...  Get a dual quad intake manifold, mount the dummy carb on one end and the EFI system on the other end, and just use the carb for a sump.  This might also provide a backup system for when the EFI craps out!

Just think of all the answers you could make up for all the questions you would get at car shows!

If you don't want to put the entire carb on there somewhere (ok, being serious now) take a Holley center pivot fuel bowl and bolt a plate across the open end of the bowl.  Then you have a little tank with a functional float/needle/seat that you KNOW will work with your mechanical fuel pump.  Mount THAT on the inner fender and let it gravity feed into the HP pump right below it.  That is basically what the Edelbrock kit provides but instead of a plastic tank you get a cool looking Holley fuel bowl that will stay full as long as the trusty mechanical pump keeps working, which will be close to forever.  I have so many old Holley fuel bowls laying around, maybe I should start making these.

If you want the HP pump to be totally submerged like the Edelbrock tank, you could just make a rectangular shaped tank and bolt the holley fuel bowl to the side of it, near the top edge.  Then the fuel bowl would be alot larger but still have the regulating float/needle/seat assemby at the top and you could put the HP pump inside.  The more I think about this, the more I think it is actually doable.  And once eveyone here puts their brains in on the action, just think of how refined the design can be.  I cannot think of any reason why this would not work quite efficiently, but then, it is way after my normal bedtime.  WHADDAYATHINK?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2015 5:08 AM  #29

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that big can o' gas sitting up front behind the radiator support.  I understand the simplicity, but if I'm going to do EFI, I'm going with a sump tank with the pump inside.

John

11/21/2015 8:01 AM  #30

John wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that big can o' gas sitting up front behind the radiator support.  I understand the simplicity, but if I'm going to do EFI, I'm going with a sump tank with the pump inside.

John

Ah la Glens1965 5.0 design.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/21/2015 9:55 AM  #31

Bob, I was thinking of Glen's aluminum tank under the car when I wrote that, but did not take the idea farther than under the hood.  It would require a second fuel line from the mechanical pump back to the aluminum tank mounted under the rear of the car, but the carb bowl bolted to the side of that tank rather than an electric low pressure pump would keep it full, and a return line to the tank would not be needed because the float would keep it from overfilling.  Basically use the Holley bowl/float/needle/seat as a control valve to keep the tank from overfilling. 

I really like the idea of not having an electric low pressure pump, because with the original design using that pump, they pump continuously with no head pressure and that causes noise and premature pump failure.  I think I went through three of those pumps in a row on Cara's coupe before I finally found one that got Janick halfway home to Washington.  He got to replace the next one.   The EFI system on her car worked flawlessly except for that low pressure pump being used to keep the sump tank full.  I think maybe some restriction to flow on the return line to the tank is needed to give the low pressure pump some head pressure to pump against.  That might quiet them down a bit.  

But, I like the float system a lot better.  It is a proven design and could easily just be bolted to the side of that tank with the high pressure pump inside the tank.  After making the drawing, maybe a side pivot Holley bowl would work better.  Takes less room.  I suppose a recess could be made in the side of the tank for the bowl to fit into.

11/21/2015 10:19 AM  #32

John wrote:

John

That would be of less concern to me than the 16 gallons of fuel I have in the back that is far less protected and could be splashed into the passenger compartment through the trap door. 

11/21/2015 11:23 AM  #33

MS, I like that!  I am going to make one with one of my left over SU float assemblies. It should have a nice clean look with the float right in the top of the tank. A two or three PSI residual valve will be a nice touch too. The newer solid state SU style pumps would be a good choice for the low pressure pump too since they quit pumping at set pressure. 

11/21/2015 11:50 AM  #34

MustangSteve wrote:

OK, Don't kill me for this...

Take your old carb and mount it over there on the frame rail and run the old mechanical pump line to the carb as if it was still on the engine.  Then connect a hose from the bottom of the carb bowl to the HP fuel pump.  The needle/seat in the carb bowl will control the fuel level automatically, and heck, you were just going to stick that old carb on the shelf anyway.  MS $10 solution.

Even better...  Get a dual quad intake manifold, mount the dummy carb on one end and the EFI system on the other end, and just use the carb for a sump.  This might also provide a backup system for when the EFI craps out!

Just think of all the answers you could make up for all the questions you would get at car shows!

If you don't want to put the entire carb on there somewhere (ok, being serious now) take a Holley center pivot fuel bowl and bolt a plate across the open end of the bowl.  Then you have a little tank with a functional float/needle/seat that you KNOW will work with your mechanical fuel pump.  Mount THAT on the inner fender and let it gravity feed into the HP pump right below it.  That is basically what the Edelbrock kit provides but instead of a plastic tank you get a cool looking Holley fuel bowl that will stay full as long as the trusty mechanical pump keeps working, which will be close to forever.  I have so many old Holley fuel bowls laying around, maybe I should start making these.

If you want the HP pump to be totally submerged like the Edelbrock tank, you could just make a rectangular shaped tank and bolt the holley fuel bowl to the side of it, near the top edge.  Then the fuel bowl would be alot larger but still have the regulating float/needle/seat assemby at the top and you could put the HP pump inside.  The more I think about this, the more I think it is actually doable.  And once eveyone here puts their brains in on the action, just think of how refined the design can be.  I cannot think of any reason why this would not work quite efficiently, but then, it is way after my normal bedtime.  WHADDAYATHINK?

Weld up some 1/4" aluminum plate into a rectangular tank to hold a Fox Mustang in-tank pump ($50), add pressure gauges, a removable top and an adjustable pressure regulator. Bolt the Holley float bowl on the side, make a hole to fill the sump tank and Bob's your uncle! Sized carefully, the rectangular sump tank would hold about half a gallon. Welded up from 1/4" aluminum plate, the sump tank would be stouter than anything else on the front end of a vintage Mustang. A talented guy could make this with a sabre saw, a drill press, a handful of files, and a heliarc welder. A milling machine would make it a lot easier.

Add a necessary safety feature: a Fox Mustang inertia switch to turn off power to the in-tank pump in case of a collision. Weld a tag to the sump tank to bolt the inertia switch to the tank. Switch costs $25.

Last edited by Hornman (11/21/2015 11:58 AM)

11/21/2015 12:14 PM  #35

Steve,
I really like your design idea on this. It could mount where the factory windshield wiper bag would go. (I never use it anyway), giving it close proximity to the mechanical fuel pump and the main line from the rear tank.

HenryJ

11/21/2015 12:47 PM  #36

I have a question on float , If you use the mechanical pump would you need a float ? Build a aluminum tank with no vent .You would need to purge the air out but the mechanical pump would just dead head right once the tank was full or does the tank need a air space for fuel return? 

If its worth doing do it right !

11/21/2015 1:27 PM  #37

I think we still need a vent in the surge tank so the high pressure pump does not pull a vacuum and quit working. I am running a vent line to the main fuel tank.

11/21/2015 2:03 PM  #38

KM wrote:

I have a question on float , If you use the mechanical pump would you need a float ? Build a aluminum tank with no vent .You would need to purge the air out but the mechanical pump would just dead head right once the tank was full or does the tank need a air space for fuel return? 

The float/needle/seat will keep the aux tank from overfilling.

11/21/2015 4:31 PM  #39

KM wrote:

The vent serves a couple of purposes: 1) it vents non-condensables (air) to keep the sump tank from gas capping and the high pressure pump losing suction, and 2) by venting back to the fuel tank it keeps the sump tank at one atmosphere eliminating the need for a pressure vessel for the sump tank which would be a whole 'nother level of complexity and cost. Atmospheric tank = good; pressure vessel = bad. Think how far you could shoot gasoline through a pinhole leak with the tank pressurized to 7 psig.

Last edited by Hornman (11/21/2015 4:39 PM)

11/21/2015 4:35 PM  #40

After thinking about it a bit I came up with another mod to make the sump tank safer: after fabrication of the aluminum tank, slush it with gas tank compound to keep the gasohol from ever touching the aluminum interior of the tank.

11/21/2015 6:21 PM  #41

This is the one I had on Cara's coupe.  Buzek built the tank.

Sure is alot easier to just buy the aeromotive phantom pump and stick it in the tank.  Eliminates alot of plumbing and the extra pump, whether it is the engine driven mechanical pump or a low pressure electric pump.  The downfall of the sump system I used was there was zero head pressure on the little low pressure pump.  It just pumped all the time with no head pressure.

12/22/2015 12:39 PM  #42

JSHarvey,
Any update? Did you do an install, any photos?
Thanks!

3/02/2016 3:20 PM  #43

Not a spokes person for FiTech...LOL  But Summit is selling them now and there is a $100 mail in rebate until  053116.  Seriously thinking of buying one. 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30002

3/02/2016 5:28 PM  #44

I just ordered mine.  The Rebate works now if you buy from Jegs.  It is supposed to come out on their web site this week.

Unfortunately, order lead time is 4 weeks.  Business must be good.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/02/2016 6:42 PM  #45

I have decided I am going to go with fuel injection for my car too.  If I don't go with an 8-stack set up, which I really want but not sure if there will be funds left in the budget when it is time for the engine, I will be using the FiTech set up.

3/02/2016 7:46 PM  #46

Chaplin wrote:

I have decided I am going to go with fuel injection for my car too. If I don't go with an 8-stack set up, which I really want but not sure if there will be funds left in the budget when it is time for the engine, I will be using the FiTech set up.

The do have a Dual Quad Set up but the 8 stack would be really cool too.

3/02/2016 7:47 PM  #47

lowercasesteve wrote:

I just ordered mine.  The Rebate works now if you buy from Jegs.  It is supposed to come out on their web site this week.

Unfortunately, order lead time is 4 weeks.  Business must be good.

Please keep us posted on what you think of the unit!   What unit did you end up buying?  What size engine do you have?

Last edited by Steve69 (3/03/2016 5:53 AM)

3/17/2016 12:48 PM  #48

If you are only running up to 400HP, Jegs and Summit have a unit for only $795 (plus $75 rebate until 31-May-2016).

http://www.jegs.com/i/FITech+Fuel+Injection/546/30003/10002/-1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003

Prices just keep coming down.

Last edited by rocklord (3/17/2016 12:50 PM)

Dan      Presently own: 1965 Coupe, 200cid, 3spd.

3/18/2016 12:11 AM  #49

lowercasesteve wrote:

In case anyone is interested.... Some of these fuel injection systems prefer a single plane manifold.  Fltech tech support told me that a two plane manifold like my Performer works just fine.

For what it's worth, the EFI systems that have their injectors set into the manifold itself above the intake valves *do* need to be single-plane, or they end up doing weird things.   The throttle-body injection setups like FItech uses can work on any intake.

The advantage of rail-type EFI setups means that very little of the fuel can fall out of suspension on its way into the combustion chamber, except for a few drops that manage to hit the back of the valve and roll together before they get used.  It only has to suck air through the turns of the intake manifold, not fuel.  Depending on what system you run, some of the computers can actually change the fuel amount for each individual cylinder, as needed - but most don't.  That's why there's a problem.  Dual-plane setups tend to deliver more air to some cylinders than others, and since each injector is giving the same amount of gas, some cylinders will be rich while others are lean.  Bad.  There's a lot going on in a dual-plane, and those dynamics change depending on load, and RPM.  That's one reason why dual-planes tend to give a broader (and usually lower) RPM range for power.  Each cylinder is 'happy' during different RPMs and situations, so you've got a broader powerband.
Single-plane manifolds tend to have each runner 'tuned' a lot closer to each other, so they can make a higher peak power.  All of the cylinders are 'happy' about how much air and gas they get, all at about the same time.  The rail-type injection systems usually need a single-plane manifold to make sure each cylinder is getting a very 'equal' amount of air, to mix with the nearly-identical squirts of gas they're going to get.

The carburetor-style throttle body setups mix the gas and air in the right ratio as it's coming into the manifold, so however much gets to each cylinder, there's not as much of a problem.  If it starts out being mixed at the right ratio of gas to air, then it's going to be the same when it goes boom, even if some cylinders get a bit more 'bang' than others.  Sometimes there are problems with the mix separating though, just like with a carb.  (gasoline liquid doesn't burn - only vapor.  Big fat droplets just get blown out the tailpipe.)  With a hot intake manifold, the throttle body setup can actually cool the air coming into the cylinders, as it vaporizes the gas.  Cool air has higher density, and that means more oxygen going into each cylinder.  So on SOME cars, it may make a little more power than the big ugly 'twin rail down the manifold' type.

TL;DR - Rail type EFI needs single-plane manifolds.  Throttle body setups that squirt the gas in above the intake can use any type of intake a carb could go on.

I want one of the FItech (or even Atomic EFI rigs - sorry Steve!)  because I want to make my hood scoop functional, and I need a carb or throttle body to make that happen.  Besides.  It DOES look good!

Last edited by Technomancer (3/18/2016 12:33 AM)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

3/20/2016 10:00 PM  #50

Guys that are thinking of Installing the FiTech. Where are you planning on installing the vent/rollover valve for the fuel tank? 

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.