FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2015 7:12 PM  #1

8"rear end

does anyone know where you can buy replacment spanner nuts for and 8" rear?
i took my third memeber out to get it rebuilt and new gears installed but someone was already in there and it looks like they used a hammer and chisel to tighten the nuts and have them damaged
thanks

Last edited by mark1965 (11/25/2015 7:15 PM)

11/25/2015 7:30 PM  #2

Re: 8"rear end

I would try Randy's Ring & Pinion www.ringpinion.com

11/25/2015 7:36 PM  #3

Not that I am an expert on Ford rears, but I have rebuilt a few and when I did, I did a lot of research and reading.  I remember reading those spanner nuts were machined to the individual cases, as their funtion is to press against the carrier bearings and hold load, the point of what I read was do not even mix them side to side.  I made marks on mine to make sure they went on the side they came off of.   That said,  to do it right, it seems the most cost effective solution is to find another suitable carrier.   Second, would be to source some, and have them checked by a competent machinist.  If you just want to put it back together get some and run them.  (mine did not really seem like they were uber machined on the ends.    Now for your question.

Most likely the best bet would be Currie Enterprises, or Ebay.  

Edit:  I will go check and see if I have any down in my rear end parts box.  I remember breaking down a few 8"  thirdmembers.

Last edited by Greg B (11/25/2015 7:38 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/26/2015 8:24 AM  #4

You definitely don't want to go swapping caps.  It would be like swapping caps on connecting rods.  The bore is honed after the case is made, so the caps go in their respective locations only.  I'm not necessarily doubting what Greg B's saying, but thinking of how these things were machined I don't see how the spanner nuts are made to the case.  They can't be machined together, so the spanners were made and threaded, and their bores were threaded in another operation.  I can't believe that Ford had more than a couple of stations making them at any one time, and the outside threads, which we probably cut on a lather, are going to be different than the inside threads  because they were cut with different tools.  I don't see the danger in just replacing the damaged spanners.  It would be like replacing a set of drum brake self adjusters.  All the spanners do is move the carrier side to side so you can set backlash without the use of shims. 

11/26/2015 8:55 AM  #5

I think there may be some confusion in this thread between bearing caps and the carrier adjusters/nuts.  The bearing caps cannot be swapped as they are machined as a unit but the carrier adjusters can be swapped/changed.  Here are two images of the adjusters.  Mark, confirm that this is what you are looking for.

This article shows how these are used during reassembly to position the carrier side-to-side and to add preload/spread.  http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/41618/

I wasn't able to quickly find adjusters for an 8" but you may want to try this site as well as others mentioned above.  http://www.quickperformance.com/Side-Adjusters-Tabs-Locks_c_455.html

You may want to hunt for some out of a damaged unit or try a few local transmission/driveline shops as they may have some kicking around.

11/26/2015 10:16 AM  #6

I'm not confused about it.  A rebuild book said switching sides on the spanner nuts could possibly cause the nut to push on the bearing seat unevenly, which would cause premature wear.  It basically recommended keeping everything side specific.   That said,  I thought that statement overkill myself, as it seems that would be the job of the bore in the cap itself.  But I did keep mine side specific. 

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/26/2015 10:40 AM  #7

The reference I have used through several rebuilds makes no mention about keeping the adjusters on the same side.  I kept them in the same position anyway.  The action of turning the adjuster by 90 degrees during reassembly kind of blows the assumption that swapping adjusters would produce uneven loading.  I would rather replace mangled units with good used or preferably new than re-use them regardless.  I probably could have used a word better than confusion, though...

11/26/2015 10:49 AM  #8

Mark, are you talking about the big bearing preload nut - the one with all the holes in it?  If so, it is not unheard of for them to look like someone had used a hammer and chisel on them, because someone probably did.  In setting the preload, and the position of the ring gear, if it just needed a "scosh" more adjustment, some people would use a hammer and chisel or big punch to rotate the adjuster nut without loosening the cap.
I really don't think it would damage the usefulness of the nut, it just makes it look ugly, unless it is really severe or there are cracks or stripped/damaged threads on the nut.
Good Luck,

11/26/2015 12:10 PM  #9

I agree with Pablo.  They always get hammered on with whatever tool is laying nearby.  Just reuse the ones you have.  They will work fine.  You can use a flapper wheel to clean up sharp edges first if you are afraid a chip might break off.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/26/2015 2:27 PM  #10

The only way the adjuster could put uneven preload on one of the side bearings would be if the threads were not cut square, in which case you'd have a much bigger problem.  I would assume the result would be a noisy gearset and premature bearing failure. 

So long as you can effectively lock the adjusters in place with the locking tabs I wouldn't worry about superficial damage either.  I would clean up any sharp edges but I do that to everything anyway (castings, etc.) to reduce a stress riser related failure.  People don't realize that cracks start as tiny surface imperfections, and if you can eliminate them you can greatly improve the service life of your parts. 

11/27/2015 3:11 AM  #11

Can't see anything wrong with any of the above posts; however my experience with rebuilding hundreds of these units is that (a) carrier bearing caps CANNOT be swapped or replaced, and (b) the adjusting nuts can be swapped or replaced, but they never fit quite as well as the originals.  Fitting back the original nuts can be tedious occasionally, and fitting up replaced nuts can be downright maddening.
Best
Al
P S. All 8" Ford third members use the same nuts.

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

11/27/2015 9:29 AM  #12

I have had to fix other peoples work several times on the 8 and 9 inch units and yes those backlash/ pre-load adjusting pieces are sometimes really beat up. If the surface that contacts the bearing race and the threads are not boogered up, they should work fine. If you can get the correct backlash and preload with the locking tab securely in a hole, I wouldn't worry about it.

11/27/2015 10:12 AM  #13

I've done a few diffs over the years and don't think the nuts matter on sides or even different rearend. But caps are differential specific. Howard 

11/27/2015 4:13 PM  #14

You can replace the caps, but you have to machine a little off the mating surfaces and hone the bearing bore.  Its the same procedure as resizing the big end on a connecting rod.  This is done when swapping to billet caps to improve strength for example.  However, this is a costly procedure, and buying a good used third member is likely a cheaper alternative if you just need a good unit. 

If you need the strength of billet caps this is the only way to do it, and it will also affect the pinion checking distance, adding time to gear set up, though that's simplified if you have a way to measure pinion depth. 

All somewhat academic on an 8" rear, as I've never seen billet caps for them, and when strength is needed the simplest option is going to be to just swap in the stronger 9" rear. 

11/27/2015 8:16 PM  #15

I have never seen a cap replaced on a housing that had the threads like the 8 and 9 inch Fords. I suppose one could get lucky and the threads would be close enough, but I would melt it down and make a new one. I agree with the just junk the whole 8 inch and put in a 9 inch though. Thinking back, I have to say I have only removed 8 inch units never installed one and have installed a lot of 9 inch units.

11/28/2015 5:43 AM  #16

GP
that's correct i need the spanner nut on the side not the caps
my spanner nuts are damaged beyond using  i know you can't swap caps  but i did'nt think the nut made a difference.

thanks

11/28/2015 10:11 AM  #17

Yeah, now that I'm thinking about it, cap replacement like I was talking about was being done on non-drop out carrier rears like GM 10 & 12 bolts.  The threads of the spanners kind of throw a monkey wrench into that idea.  With the right equipment I'm sure you could still do it, but the cost would just never be justified when you can buy a new 9" case with billet caps for less than $400. 

11/28/2015 10:39 AM  #18

Mark - Now back to your original question.  I searched the interweb and was not able to find a place that sells the carrier adjusters.  I think a local driveline shop may be a source or perhaps an advertised rear-end rebuilder may have some sitting around from a damaged unit.  If they can be had at a reasonable cost, I would probably get 4 to find two that fit reasonably well.  You may find an 8" center section on Craigslist as an option - it may be easier to find an entire unit rather than the parts! Are you just refreshing your unit or making other changes?

11/28/2015 11:39 AM  #19

This guy has a ton of used rear end parts.  If he doesn't have it, NOBODY has it.

http://www.peytonperformance.com/

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.