FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2013 10:44 AM  #1

rear end fish tail

i have a 65 coupe 302 t5 when i drive the car on rough roads over dips bumps or potholes the rear and feels like it wants to fish tail a little  i installed a new set of leaf springs new hardware and new rubber bushing. any ideas on what would  causing it .

5/28/2013 10:49 AM  #2

Re: rear end fish tail

Perhaps the problem isn't the rear end, But the front end. Have you also replaced the front springs and bushings. Or checked to see if the sway bar links are shot?

Last edited by Derek (5/28/2013 10:49 AM)

It's hard to type "funny"

5/28/2013 11:33 AM  #3

Derek wrote:

Perhaps the problem isn't the rear end, But the front end. Have you also replaced the front springs and bushings. Or checked to see if the sway bar links are shot?

all front ent parts are new did complete front end rebiuld

5/28/2013 1:07 PM  #4

Okay.. Is the front end lower then the back? Are you running large wheels & tires? Also mustangs are known to be ah little tail happy ,lighter in the rear which gives them ah lot of over steer..

It's hard to type "funny"

5/28/2013 1:25 PM  #5

Mustangs are known to have alot of unsprung weight in the rear end, and that makes them bounce a bit.  To add to the problem, lots of people put stiffer springs and shocks and that makes it even worse.  Then add low-profile tires to the mix and it can really get bad.  My solution:  Avoid bumpy roads!  Also, I am installing some fiberglass rear leaf springs to reduce unsprung weight.  That weight is the main culprit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/28/2013 3:46 PM  #6

What is your tire pressure?

5/28/2013 5:42 PM  #7

Ah...I Shirley ain't no expert butt (TS&T) it seems to me that  the  weight of the springs (bolted to the  frame, as it  were)  is  "sprung weight".  The rearend, wheels, and tires and even a percnetage of the driveshaft weight, bouncing along to every lump in the road is  "UN-sprung weight"  which we do want to keep to a minimum.  Which is partly why indy-pendant suspension  is usually better.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Also:  MS call me regarding that list we put together for Arizona.  I spoke with the guy...almost wish I hadn't.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/28/2013 5:43 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/28/2013 7:14 PM  #8

Zactally why mine now has the Jag IRS with the inboard brakes. WHAT A difference!

5/29/2013 6:05 AM  #9

Yeah... I have the same problem when I push too hard on the loud pedal...Some have told me to ease up on the pedal pressure... Can't seem to get that hang of that.

5/29/2013 12:55 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ah...I Shirley ain't no expert butt (TS&T) it seems to me that  the  weight of the springs (bolted to the  frame, as it  were)  is  "sprung weight".  The rearend, wheels, and tires and even a percnetage of the driveshaft weight, bouncing along to every lump in the road is  "UN-sprung weight"  which we do want to keep to a minimum.  Which is partly why indy-pendant suspension  is usually better.
BB

Gee Bob, if you will allow some of the driveshaft weight to be UnSprung, then why won't you allow some (most) of the leaf spring weight to be UnSprung?

Could it be possible that the reason the Independant suspension feels/works better is that when one wheel hits a bump only that wheel and spring reacts instead of the whole rigid axle assemply in a one piece rear end?

5/29/2013 1:01 PM  #11

mark1965 wrote:

i have a 65 coupe 302 t5 when i drive the car on rough roads over dips bumps or potholes the rear and feels like it wants to fish tail a little i installed a new set of leaf springs new hardware and new rubber bushing. any ideas on what would causing it .

Yep, thats the way they drive. As someone indelicately put it on this Forum, "...those old Mustangs aren't sports cars...".  Much of what we do with our modifications is trying to push them into sportscar like territory.  That is why there is so much discussion of different suspensions on the Forum.  For something like $6000-10,000 you can have modern geometry four wheel independant suspension on your 47 year old car.

5/29/2013 2:07 PM  #12

I believe the springs themselves are indeed unsprung weight.  Everything that is held up in the air BY the springs is sprung weight.  Everything that has weight sitting on the ground is unsprung.  At least that is the way I see it.  (and that is not necessarily always right, but I'll put up a good argument!)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/30/2013 8:45 AM  #13

To get unsprung weight the typical way, you put your car on jack stands supporting on the frame/body. Remove spring and shock, unhook swaybars. With tire and wheel back on, support the tire on a scale at normal ride height. the scale reading plus 1/2 the shock and spring weight is you unsprung weight. this tells me that half the sping weight is assumed as unsprung. Also, if you run your shocks upside down, your unsprung is less by a little.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.