FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2015 9:11 AM  #1

Winter, a time to tinker!

I know with the inclement weather, many are putting their mustangs into storage which for me is the beginning stages of winter tinkering!
This winter I will upgrade the crossmember with a competition version similar to the Boss 302 Chassis Modification book:

http://store.cobraautomotive.com/competition-cross-member-1965-66-mustang/

Just curious what others are doing with their mustang during the "off" season?
Happy Tinkering!

12/01/2015 10:04 AM  #2

Re: Winter, a time to tinker!

I installed that cross member about 7 years ago. I have the canton 7 quart pan which required removing the pan, cut, and weld the sides of the pan for the cross member to fit. The cross member should fit fine with a stock pan.

12/01/2015 10:40 AM  #3

I wonder how that would do for a loosey goosey convertible?  Where does it bolt to?

12/01/2015 12:08 PM  #4

I can't quantify the individual components contribution to handling as the car has modified suspension front and rear, plated subframe, shock tower to cowl bracing and other modifications. I am confident that the lower control arm brace contributes to handling as it ties the lower control arms together and to the chassis.

12/01/2015 2:07 PM  #5

Boom,
Boss is correct, it ties the bottom of the suspension and pivot arms together. If you have the Arning drop, export brace and the Monte Carlo bar in addition to the convertible braces up top, then adding the crossmember below you have formed a reinforced box. Should help keep the wheels true for more contact patch to the ground in the corners. Each time I have done a mod from the Boss 302 Chassis Modification book, I have enjoyed my car more and more in the twists and turns!

12/01/2015 5:53 PM  #6

MWM wrote:

Boom,
Boss is correct, it ties the bottom of the suspension and pivot arms together. If you have the Arning drop, export brace and the Monte Carlo bar in addition to the convertible braces up top, then adding the crossmember below you have formed a reinforced box. Should help keep the wheels true for more contact patch to the ground in the corners. Each time I have done a mod from the Boss 302 Chassis Modification book, I have enjoyed my car more and more in the twists and turns!

I have all the above, MWM, except for the Monte Carlo Bar.  I have factory air and the MC bar will not fit..  I emailed the company to see if they had any pictures of this brace installed.  Does it eliminate the factory swaybar?

Last edited by boomyal (12/01/2015 5:54 PM)

12/01/2015 6:27 PM  #7

Where does it go?
Replaces the stock front cross member?
I NEED to see a pitcher to unnerstand,sorry!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/01/2015 8:23 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

Where does it go?

Ditto, without a piture, it doesn't exist!
For $169 bux, the vendor should have one available!

12/01/2015 8:59 PM  #9

boomyal wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Where does it go?

Zray on VMF makes these. John from Opentracker, also carries the same one.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/01/2015 9:32 PM  #10

50vert wrote:

boomyal wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Where does it go?

Zray on VMF makes these. John from Opentracker, also carries the same one.

Without links, the information is, well, worthless!

12/01/2015 9:39 PM  #11

Boom
My first post has the link. I just tried it and the link works. Let me know if it works for you? Also I have a straight Monte Carlo bar that fits behind the compressor albeit with a pony dress up air filter.

Last edited by MWM (12/01/2015 9:52 PM)

12/02/2015 7:49 AM  #12

You can build your own using the stock cross member. I used 1/8" wall, 2"x 2" box tubing for the ends, cut a side out for access, then cut the stock cross member to fit between. I did slot the lower control arm bolt holes for the SOT lower control arm camber kit I'm running in my 66 coupe.

12/02/2015 8:43 AM  #13

In my next life, I want to be a welder!

12/02/2015 10:27 AM  #14

MWM wrote:

Still fighting to get through this one

12/02/2015 11:16 AM  #15

I Have a Zray Crossmember with Jacking plate on My 1966 Mustang Coupe with 289 4 Speed stock oil pan and everything installed very well no issues at all had it on the car for 2-1/2 years now and with the jack plate it is nicer to lifted the mustang now very strong and great quality crossmember

12/02/2015 12:42 PM  #16

MWM wrote:

Ditto!   I looked into the local community college for a nighttime welding 101 class.  The only thing they had was a whole program that took too much time and was held during the day.

12/02/2015 12:43 PM  #17

MWM wrote:

Boom
My first post has the link. I just tried it and the link works. Let me know if it works for you? Also I have a straight Monte Carlo bar that fits behind the compressor albeit with a pony dress up air filter.

Yeah MWM, the link works for me but it does not show how/where it attaches to the car.

12/02/2015 1:03 PM  #18

Boom,
Use the link below to download the Boss 302 Chassis Modificarion book PDF.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Library2/BOSS302ChassisMod.html

Page 10 has good illustration

12/02/2015 3:50 PM  #19

MWM wrote:

Definition of a welder........." A pipefitter with his brains kicked out!"
Trust me..........It's a hard way to earn a buck. Good skill to know just piddling around though.
Flux-core/MIG welding requires NO training. (almost) I can give long distance instructions if necessary.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/02/2015 4:25 PM  #20

What engine, Boom?  This 351W in a 66 clears the MC bar.  Seems like a straight one would clear the ac even better.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/02/2015 4:56 PM  #21

I like the curved M/C bars, 351W in a 65 coupe

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

12/02/2015 5:45 PM  #22

MustangSteve wrote:

What engine, Boom?  This 351W in a 66 clears the MC bar.  Seems like a straight one would clear the ac even better.

MS, with your picture, I will have to go back out and re-evaluate why I thought a MC bar would not fit.
btw, coincidence has it that I am wearing last years bash t-shirt as I type.

Last edited by boomyal (12/02/2015 5:46 PM)

12/03/2015 11:46 AM  #23

Upon further examination, the reason a MC bar will not fit on my convertible became clear.  It is because of the tubular apron support bars visible below.

Last edited by boomyal (12/03/2015 11:47 AM)

12/03/2015 4:17 PM  #24

Sounds like a good opportunity to integrate a MC bar into those to convertible-specific braces.  This looks like it would be easy to do.
Pardon my 1st grader-esque sketch.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/03/2015 4:27 PM  #25

MustangSteve wrote:

Sounds like a good opportunity to integrate a MC bar into those to convertible-specific braces.  This looks like it would be easy to do.
Pardon my 1st grader-esque sketch.

I take it MS, that you mean to section the MC bar, flange the ends and weld them to the apron support rods?  If so, that is a great idea.  You could make the assembly virtually one piece.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.