FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2015 2:32 PM  #1

1965 Fastback Rear Weatherstrip Warning!

I have learned the hard way that the reproduction weatherstripping for the rear fastback glass is molded incorrectly. The reproduction (SD, DC, etc) has a rounded crown that is about an 1/8" thick. The original NOS weatherstripping is molded flat so the trim will reach the clips and lay flat against the rubber. Since I have the glass installed, I am going to try and trim the crown off the weather stripping. Haven't work out a process yet, but don't want to reinstall the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will be sure to use a lot of tape to protect the paint!
Thanks!

12/02/2015 3:08 PM  #2

Re: 1965 Fastback Rear Weatherstrip Warning!

The 90 degree angle in the trim bends to accommodate the gasket.  At least mine did.  Probably worked better with OEM gasket, but I have never had one to compare to.  I went through four new sets of trim before I got one set installed with "not too many dents" in it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/02/2015 3:41 PM  #3

MWM wrote:

I have learned the hard way that the reproduction weatherstripping for the rear fastback glass is molded incorrectly. The reproduction (SD, DC, etc) has a rounded crown that is about an 1/8" thick. The original NOS weatherstripping is molded flat so the trim will reach the clips and lay flat against the rubber. Since I have the glass installed, I am going to try and trim the crown off the weather stripping. Haven't work out a process yet, but don't want to reinstall the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will be sure to use a lot of tape to protect the paint!
Thanks!

Yeah Mike.......I have the exact same problem. Haven't got mine from paint yet butt..........that gasket/weatherstrip sure looked a little proud on top! Hope  MS (or anybody) has the fix because I was "envisioning" GRINDING the top of the rubber down to "make-it-fit". Hope the trim WILL cover. Keep me informed what you find out!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/03/2015 7:47 AM  #4

I have used these folks rubber parts on a few applications, and found them to be right on:
http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-2848-81

12/03/2015 11:40 AM  #5

Pablo wrote:

I have used these folks rubber parts on a few applications, and found them to be right on:
http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-2848-81

Pablo, did you use there parts on Mustangs?

12/04/2015 10:03 AM  #6

Tim, no I have not.  Mine is not that far along, and it's a coupe.  I have used their stuff on my '83 F-150, and on customer cars with very good results.  On my own F-150, I had used window channel, and door seals from one of the big classic truck suppliers.  I don't remember their name, but I think it was initials, like L**.  Hint, hint.  Their stuff lasted about 2 years.  Changed out with the Steelerubber items, and 7 or 8 years later, still going strong.  As for customers, I have had no complaints, but don't really track the longevity.
As far as your issue, give them a call.  I have found them to be friendly and helpful.
Good Luck

12/04/2015 2:58 PM  #7

Well yeah!! That's great butt...........we don't want to hafta pull the glass again. We want to modify it(somehow) so the trim will fit what we have.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/06/2015 11:21 AM  #8

Well, silly me.  I thought it might be useful information for the next 'Stanger that was gonna put the weatherstripping on the rear window.
Later.

12/06/2015 1:01 PM  #9

10-4 on that  Pablo!! Sure wish there was some kind of standardization on these parts!!!!
Looks like now......it all depends on what region of Taiwan the  stuff comes from.

12/06/2015 1:26 PM  #10

Pablo wrote:

Well, silly me.  I thought it might be useful information for the next 'Stanger that was gonna put the weatherstripping on the rear window.
Later.

Pablo, A few weeks ago, I hosed down the 65 and had a dribble of water at the inside of the lower corner, leading me to believe I'm gonna hafta replace that 50 year old seal.  I was dreading the thought of hunting down seals.  You have offered an alternate to the stuff I know doesn't fit right, and I thank you.

A real plus is, that their website states that their stuff is "Made in USA".

12/07/2015 9:23 AM  #11

Aw shucks, Tim.  Blush-blush.  Warn't nothin'.  You are very welcome.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.