FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 10:50 PM  #1

Air compressor aftercooler

I'm going to paint my car and I know my compressor puts out some water.  So I did a little research and decided to make an aftercooler to help with this.  The idea is that if you decrease the temperature of the compressed air enough, the water will condense and drop out, enabling you to remove it before it gets to your paint gun (or air tools).  Some people use transmission coolers or A/C condensers, but I was concerned about friction loss and I didn't happen to have one of those handy, so I did something different:

Each one of the long runs is 24", so the air travels thru about 14' of copper before it gets back to the tank, which allows for a lot of heat dissipation even without fins.  The line coming out of my compressor is 3/8", so I stepped it up to 1/2" to reduce the friction losses and provide a little more area for heat dissipation.  It goes back to 3/8" just before the water separator, which is one of those cheap ones from HF and automatically drains when the pressure falls off.  All the joints are soldered, with the excepting of the compression fittings at the separator, the compressor, and the tank.  I used 3/16" rivets and 1/2" conduit clips to attach the whole mes to the side of the compressor belt guard.  Here's a shot from above:

You can see that previously there was just a short drop to the tank.  So how well does it work?  I used an infrared thermometer (one of my favorite toys) to measure the temperature on the line coming out of the compressor after about 10 minutes of running and got 285 F.  At the end of the line where it enters the tank, I got 98 F.  That's enough of a drop in temperature to condense just about all of the water, which ended up in the separator.  When I drained the tank, no water came out, where previously I would get a puddle.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

12/07/2015 7:11 AM  #2

Re: Air compressor aftercooler

Good article!  I' ve made a few of those over the years but never built one on the side of the compressor.  The ones I built were hung on a wall usually for a permanent compressor rather than a portable.

12/07/2015 9:30 AM  #3

I use the air tank from a portable air compressor like house framers use for their nail guns.  Found it at a metal recycler.  Just couple it up between my big compressor and the tool (spray gun, sand blaster, whatever). Works well, employs the KISS principle.

Last edited by Pablo (12/07/2015 9:31 AM)

12/07/2015 11:44 AM  #4

That's cool!

I used the Mustang Steve Cooler™ I cracked the compressor drain open a bit then coiled some of my air hose in a Home Depot bucket and filled it with ice water. Actually had good results getting the rear quarters, decklid and roof in Epoxy. I only did once section at a time.

5/12/2017 7:06 PM  #5

I ran galvanized pipe and a few drains mounted on the wall of my garage and it works great. I do not have a finished picture but I think you all will get it.

Last edited by 70 Coupe (5/12/2017 7:09 PM)

7/16/2017 5:39 PM  #6

Wow, that's pretty cool. Why not just get a large dryer?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.